Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What do you guys think? (intake off with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 02:32 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What do you guys think? (intake off with pics)

Intake manifold is off, every single vaccum hose literally broke as i touched them....

I recieved the LR intake vacuum kit that deleted the venturi, but im wondering, would those three hoses are all i need?

One of the ports for the CV broke off as well, the hoses for the CV also broke off, even the brake booster hose is torn to pieces, hard as a rock and cracked.........

Secondly, with that engine being 18+ years since it has been cleaned, what do you people recommened to get rid of all that sand and dirt?

Pics:

Also, i have removed the bolts for the brake reservoir heat shield yet i am not able to completely remove it and fear bending it, any tips?

A piece of advice, replace ALL the vacuum lines/hoses !!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Any engine degreaser will help clean up your motor. I use Castrol super clean.

To remove the brake master heat shield you will have to remove the dipstick, and the turbo water pump. It is a little tricky but you can wiggle it out.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe you should move to some where less sandy!!

I was planning on removing the heat shield and just wrapping the turbo with some heat wrap blanket. It will free up some room to work in there also. Why not cut it out and wrap the turbine?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:43 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you got all of the nuts off too. There are a couple that hide.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:49 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Alpine: That is what i was planning on doing, i ordered a thermotec heat blanket but we had 4 day national holiday and the post office was closed. The LR, Laust's Vacuum Manifold and the blanket (from summit racing) were ALL supposed to arrive yesterday, i was lucky that LR and Lausts parts did since they are my piorities now.....

Kevin: There is one nut hiding where the brake booster vacuum hose is for the heat shield, i got that off, same applies to the smaller screw that hides behind the turbocharger water pump.....

Originally Posted by Alpine951
maybe you should move to some where less sandy!!
I'd rather have a sandy/bizzar weather to live in a tax free country driving a rare car
Old 01-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good degreaser, small brush, and plent of rags. This is not somewhere you want a pressure washer. With regards to the cycling valve, time for a new one or time for an upgrade to DP wastegate with manual controller. You can get rid of the three pipe monster if you plug one of the ports on the J boot, well provided you go to a DP wastegate, then run a single hose from the air oil seperator back to the J boot, cutting off the crimped hoses and using the end of it to attach your new hose.

Soak the bottom of the ISV in cleaner as well. Clean the throttle body and get a new o-ring for behind there. Are those still the original fuel lines?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:51 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Note: Look at intake #4 on the manifold and on the head, there is where the AOS is. There is also where 90% of the sand got stuck, so im beggining to think maybe a lose clamp or a torn up AOS hose is there that caused the oil moisture to escape and the sand/dust to collect there????
Old 01-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Is that the venturi assembly in your picture?
I presently have the intake off my 87 (with an 86 engine) and see the same thing. I guess they used the whole intake from the 86...
Old 01-27-2005, 02:56 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Bret: Ironically, i have a boost controller which is not yet installed because i have no access underneath the car (live in a building, no garage) and i want to replace the WG hose as well......

Regarding the fuel lines, the PO mentioned replacing them, but i wasn't sure on what he said. Whatever the case is, i hit my budget this month and i shall be ordering new hoses (not OEM, either Pauterman or rennbay's kit) next month.....

The CV would need to be 'repaired' somehow now and i wasn't thinking of using pressurized water in that area at all......

I also have one of the philips screws for the TPS to be almost screwed up, im taking the TB to a local workshop where the mechanic would either drill out the screw or remove it somehow......but the TB is off the intake as we speak.....
Old 01-27-2005, 02:57 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

If your air/oil seperator seals are leaking you will see an oily mess under the intake.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:59 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zero10
Is that the venturi assembly in your picture?
I presently have the intake off my 87 (with an 86 engine) and see the same thing. I guess they used the whole intake from the 86...

Yeah, 86-87 have that stupid venturing thing. I have a copy of Karl's venturi delete proceesures and looks like i have what LR supplies (Intake Manifold Vacuum line update kit). I was going to order from MySwiss but he doesn't have the 'whole' brake booster line. It is basically a blue silicon line that attached to the old brake booster vacuum hoses (which is not what i wanted really).

The LR kit is one hose running from the brake booster check valve to the intake, no connections, no clamps, just one long hose.....
Old 01-27-2005, 03:00 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by por951turbo
If your air/oil seperator seals are leaking you will see an oily mess under the intake.

The AOS seals are fine, it is bone dry over there. It is the hoses from the top of the AOS that i am concerned about......Friday is a holiday (think of it as Sunday for you Westerners) and i may have some trouble getting hoses....

But ACE Hardware is always open, they may have a few items i could pick up.......
Old 01-27-2005, 03:07 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing. I'm at the exact same point as you.

My intake manifold is off and is getting bead blasted/powdercoated.
I've ditched the CV, (SKI- why do you need a DP wastegate? You can run the BB out to a manual controller, to the gate, no?) tossed the three-headed hydra monster (metal pipe), and am in the process of rerouting the OAS out to a catchcan, and am contemplating relocating the idle stabilizer to somewhere else more accessible.
It's amazing how much less cluttered everything looks with all the junk out of the way.

In my case (88 turboS), the upper AOS pipe has a blocked off port (plastic plug+hose clamp), which had come loose. There was oil sludge EVERYWHERE.
I used lots of Simple Green degresser and alot of rags to clean up my mess.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:13 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Raagi: I also ordered a Catch Can but hasen't arrived due to the holidays we had here (nothing goes 100% as planned ).

Delete the whole venturi metal line??? hmmm........i have enough vacuum hoses for the CV (still using it for now) but the crank case breather (AOS) hoses and a male/male adapter would be needed.......not sure where i could get these from on a holiday........
Old 01-27-2005, 03:20 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hosrom_951:

Good luck with your project my friend. I'm sure when it's done it will look great. Just remember to buy a lot of beer before you start!

Quick Reply: What do you guys think? (intake off with pics)