Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question for those with LR 3" Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 07:38 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question for those with LR 3" Exhaust

How many pieces are there to the exhaust system? I can identify three pieces that I purchased from a fellow Rennlister. There is piece that connetcs to the downpipe, a piece which connects to the muffler in the rear and the muffler itself There is one other piece which is apporx. 1.5 feet in length. Is this used in the area of where the cat is on a stock system or does it replace the muffler if I have no use for it. Thanks.

Ignacio
Old 01-12-2005, 08:39 PM
vetblack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 5 total pieces inlcuding the muffler. One piece from the turbo down pipe, one in the cat section (although it is not interchangeable with a stock cat section), one from the cat section to the muffler, the muffler and a tailpipe straight piece...

Hope this helps

BK
Old 01-12-2005, 08:56 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

vetblack: That's what I thought the extra 1.5 ft. piece was for. Now I have to put the thing on.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:41 AM
Driv200mph
Instructor

Iborroel,

Is the exhaust install going okay?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:13 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Driv200mph: I got the exhaust yesterday so I haven't had a chance to install the exhaust. Thanks again for everything. I probably won't get to installing it until some time next week.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:36 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lindseys exhaust isnt the most fun thing to put on so good luck.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:43 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Even the one they gave the European Car Mag project didnt fit!

"when Precision Motion owner Don Kravig got to the rear muffler, a little fab work was required. Since the muffler wasn't aligning perfectly with the center section, it would have placed the tip to the right of its normal location. To remedy this, I took the muffler to a local exhaust shop, Redlands Muffler, and had them simply stretch the 3-in. opening of the inlet side about another 1/2 in. This allowed the muffler to be pivoted more towards the exhaust tip opening, after which Don welded it to seal it completely"

If you got a second hand one, chances are it has been fixed already so you probably benefited more by getting a fixed one
Old 01-13-2005, 04:53 AM
RobNL
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
Lindseys exhaust isnt the most fun thing to put on so good luck.
I indeed can imagine that there are more fun things to do, but the installation just took me about 15 minutes. Removing the old one on the other hand, was way more frustrating.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:22 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RobNL
I indeed can imagine that there are more fun things to do, but the installation just took me about 15 minutes. Removing the old one on the other hand, was way more frustrating.
You must have gotten one of the later ones they shipped out then. The one I got needed to have the hanger rewelded to the top because it was put on upside down. The rest was simple as any other exhaust but, it had a few more tricks to it when I started. I put my fabspeed on without even having to think.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:47 PM
stewardx
Instructor

Even the one they gave the European Car Mag project didnt fit!

"when Precision Motion owner Don Kravig got to the rear muffler, a little fab work was required. Since the muffler wasn't aligning perfectly with the center section, it would have placed the tip to the right of its normal location. To remedy this, I took the muffler to a local exhaust shop, Redlands Muffler, and had them simply stretch the 3-in. opening of the inlet side about another 1/2 in. This allowed the muffler to be pivoted more towards the exhaust tip opening, after which Don welded it to seal it completely"

If your smart enough you simply loosen the three bolts at the front of the exhaust at the flange which has oversized holes just for this reason, which allows you to swing it left or right at the rear of the car about 6 inches either way. When installing a exhaust, you shouldn't tighten down anything until it's all in place. Since they tightened it down in the wrong location, they had problems and didn't realize it could be adjusted in about 60 seconds or less.

Wes
Old 01-13-2005, 02:56 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So Lindsey Racing (given you work for them) is saying Precision Motion does not know how to install exhaust systems? Or rather is not "smart enough"?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:15 PM
stewardx
Instructor

Rather then fix it in 60 seconds with a adjustment built into the flange, they choose to do something the hard way. So you can take that to mean whatever you want.

Wes
Old 01-13-2005, 03:21 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wes; this kind of information should be included with the exhaust. I ordered the system from Dave yesterday and I'm having a shop do the install. Sounds like you could save your customers a few bucks by letting us know.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:29 PM
stewardx
Instructor

Wes; this kind of information should be included with the exhaust. I ordered the system from Dave yesterday and I'm having a shop do the install. Sounds like you could save your customers a few bucks by letting us know.

It seems like common sense mechanical work to us. Align everything, then tighten down. 99% of the parts you buy from the auto part store don't include instructions. I'll suggest that to Dave. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wes
Old 01-13-2005, 03:40 PM
RobNL
Instructor

NZ,

You forgot to quote this:

"Thanks to the Lindsey exhaust, the turbo came to life much sooner and showed tremendous gains through redline, peaking at 208 whp at 6400 rpm with just 7.5 psi boost. This compares to 163 whp with the previous 2.5-in stock exhaust system and B&B headers."

Quick Reply: Question for those with LR 3" Exhaust