Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbonetics Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine the boost comes on much more quickly. My non-BB turbo at 18psi will not break the 255 rear tires loose (no LSD, 2nd gear). Seems like most of the other folks with this turbo can break em loose in 2nd gear. The boost comes on hard...but not sudden enough to light em up.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know one person down here in colorado went to turbonetics in golden Cpt_Koolbeenz and got a bad turbo made by them and screwed up his rod bearings and bottom end of the engine.
He bought it from TEC not Turbonetics, as has been pointed out.

I didnt buy from Turbonetics for three reasons:
1) They were rude and short on the phone, if I am going to drop a fair amount of coin you need to be relatively polite

2) They were making turbos for a common tuner on this board, no joke, he said, you want just like we sell to XX person.

3) They were WAY overpriced, almost 150% higher than Majestic Turbo. My T04E was 940 including tax (I lived in TX at the time). Turbonetics wanted 1600 or so. There was just too much price difference. They also REALLY wanted to sell me the BB setup that I did not want.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's true - I didn't even think about compressor stalls (I'm familiar with those from turbine engines on the aircraft I used to fly. . .) Makes perfect sense. In aircraft turbines the system is a shaft-within-a-shaft with a high-pressure oil (plane bearing) system used, but they also rotate considerably less quickly than a turbocharger. The shaft-within-a-shaft construction is very strong and prevents any lateral drifting or precession of the actual compressor-to-turbine shaft. . .
Old 01-04-2005, 07:58 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont we need to distinguish between the product Turbonetics and the company... the product is good. You dont need to buy fro Turbonetics to get a turbo for your car. Example, The SFR stage 3 is a turbonetics turbo, I have one like a few others on here, no one has had complaints with them that I am aware of and Tim offers exceptional service. I have sertainly heard of more leaky T04E's. But they are likely more common.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
In aircraft turbines the system is a shaft-within-a-shaft with a high-pressure oil (plane bearing) system used, but they also rotate considerably less quickly than a turbocharger.
They also do not have to accelerate quickly,therefore the extra friction in the plane bearing is of no concern acceleration-wise.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Matt H
Race Director

For what any tuner offers you can buy virtually (if not) the same thing from an number of Turbo shops for 25-50% less money. Might there be a slight difference? I am sure there could be/is.

If you are fairly knowledgable you can have a turbo built by a place like Majestic for far less than buying an off the shelf unit from your favorite tuner.

Please note, I am not in any way, shape, or form saying that ALL tuners sell the same items or that you could duplicate what XX tuners sells for less money. I am saying you can build a comparable (sometimes even better) product for far less money by using a real turbo shop.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:24 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I agree Matt H. Its about ease of application, and understanding for the most part.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:37 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record...

I was not, at least at the end of my development cycle, running a ball bearing turbo. MySwiss bought the car, and it's still running the non-ball bearing turbo.

The only reason why it was not running a ball bearing turbo is that, for what ever reason, my ball bearing turbo had a bent shaft (slightly). I had my buddy (turbo bob at turbo-performance.com) rebuild the turbo with the only center section I could get at the time (a non-ball bearing center section), to make the next race.

The lag increased for sure by about 400 rpms. But for the track I was running on, it didn't matter much given that the engine had such good top end power.

I've been trying to convince MySwiss that he should re-install the .70 a/r P trim turbine housing, and use a Innovative dual bearing center section. He would pick up at least 10-20rwhp on the top end, and reduce the lag by at least 300 rpms-400 rpms. He should... he'd love it.

But the bottom line is that the 60-1HiFi is an increadible compressor. Probably one of the best designs in that air flow range ever built for sure.

Prior to running the extensive top-end modifications, I ran a 60-1HiFi on a turbonetics single ball bearing center section with a Turbonetics KKK replica hot side with a stage V trim. Honestly... the lag was the same as with the current setup MySwiss was running.

TonyG
Old 01-05-2005, 12:38 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Guys, did any of you actually test the spoolup between 2 identical turbos with standard and 2-BB turbos?
I think you will be surprised!!

That is a good poin their John. Though i never seen that in person, but the Turbonetics dealer here claimed that their 2-BB trubos reduce spool by 1,000rpm than their single BB which i though might be far fetched. That is why i started this thread to see just exactly the true benifits of 2-BB.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:43 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
I ran a 60-1HiFi on a turbonetics single ball bearing center section with a Turbonetics KKK replica hot side with a stage V trim.
TonyG
Now the 60-1 HIFI was turbonetics as well right?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:46 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Turbonetics makes the 60-1HIFI... thats what I have, Daniel (making 351 at 17psi), JChen?, Luke, MySwiss? And a couple of others...
Old 01-05-2005, 12:51 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

JChen is running a GT series ...........
Old 01-05-2005, 01:11 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hosrom_951

>>>Now the 60-1 HIFI was turbonetics as well right?<<<

Turbonetics is the only maker of the 60-1 compressor as well as the 60-1HiFi variant.

Answer: Yes

TonyG
Old 01-05-2005, 01:21 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I just want to say something that could make the picture clearer.

I am aiming for the Turbonetics turbocharger for several reasons, the Turbonetics dealer is literally 5-10 mins away from my house, he is close by and he would supply me with virtually anything i ask for, which makes things a lot easier when you live overseas. Another reason is the warrenty, since he lives so close by, if something goes wrong (god forbid) he is right there and things would be taken car of right now unlike a vendor in the US which would require me to send the turbocharger (where i pay the shipping) and then see what went wrong, what could be done etc... which would leave me (and the car) stranded untill we resolve the issue. Also, the price he quoted me for the 60-1 HIFI 2-BB was the best price i found for the money (there is no difference in stage 1, stage 3 nor stage 5 turbin trim in terms of price).

My goal is to achieve 330+whp at low boost (12-15psi) for the moment with the usual bolt-ons w/o engine modifications (in terms of cylinder head and block). But i want that same turbo to be capable of handling future upgrades when it comes to mind (cylinder head, p&p, headers etc). So im looking for a balanced turbo, not a 400+whp turbo that would be bad on low boost and has a bad curve on the 951.

So, that is why i asked about TURBONETICS and NOT the 60-1HIFI itself (though they are related in this thread)............

With that said Turbonetics seem's to be my best option when it comes down for performance/customer service (including warrenty and stuff)/ price.......

If i were to go for a K27/6 or so that would require a core, you should understand that it would take literally weeks to get the job done (the car would be paralised during that time) and IF something goes wrong, it would have to sit yet another period to get the 'problem' solved.....

Now i am open to suggestions/view on my current situation (including vendors if they participate )

Tony: Someone here on rennlist told me that the 60-1 (and 60-1 HIFI) was a Garrett turbocharger, that was when i FIRST contacted you in the e-mail (talking SPECIFICALLY about Turbonetics and the 60-1 series turbochargers), thanks for clearing that up!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:32 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Horsey, if you are thinking Turbonetics, then the 60-1 HIFI is the biggest that will fit under the stock intake manifold from what I am told... so when you are thinking Turbonetics, you are really talking 60-1 HIFI unless you have a new manifold at the time.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Experience