Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbonetics Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 04:23 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daniel: It's not the stages im concered with (stage 3, stage 5 etc), im concered with Turbonetics themselves, i was told that they had a problem with their single ball bearing turbos.

Im not planning for any engine work (stock block and head), so i would need to dig more into the stage 3 vs stage 5 BB, it's the manufacturer taht concerns me and i couldnt find much info on the search

PS: Did you upload the videos? i downloaded two of yours, any more?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:27 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Daniel: Never mind, just saw your video post
Old 01-04-2005, 04:39 AM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Daniel: It's not the stages im concered with (stage 3, stage 5 etc), im concered with Turbonetics themselves, i was told that they had a problem with their single ball bearing turbos.

Im not planning for any engine work (stock block and head), so i would need to dig more into the stage 3 vs stage 5 BB, it's the manufacturer taht concerns me and i couldnt find much info on the search

PS: Did you upload the videos? i downloaded two of yours, any more?
I know one person down here in colorado went to turbonetics in golden Cpt_Koolbeenz and got a bad turbo made by them and screwed up his rod bearings and bottom end of the engine. He is now fighting with them in a lawsuit. Other then that it seems like alot of people in the import world go with this company
Old 01-04-2005, 04:45 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah everyone has their bad stories about each brand, looks like Doobs may have a bad turbo new from a vendor (T04E)... you have to make the best decision at the time. I got a good deal on my Turbonetics, so I got that. If any company ad such a big issue, then they would not be in business!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:46 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daniel951
Other then that it seems like alot of people in the import world go with this company

Maybe because of the price??????
Old 01-04-2005, 06:16 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Originally Posted by daniel951
I know one person down here in colorado went to turbonetics in golden Cpt_Koolbeenz and got a bad turbo made by them and screwed up his rod bearings and bottom end of the engine.
Most probably screwed his bearing seal and pressurized the crankcase through the oil downpipe,blowing the thing empty of oil...doesn't take many sec to kill it then. Seen that happen on two Turbonetics-turbos. It was claimed by the vendor that they had a construction error due to faulty CNC-machining at the factory. Had both replaced a week later in both instances,for free,they took it as a "warranty case"..
Old 01-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Three to four weeks to manufacture….
Ha.
Ha Ha.
Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Ain’t going to happen. I have been waiting in a 60-1 from Turbonetics since July. Turbonetics was purchased by another company last year and the service has gotten really crappy. Most shops are having a serious problem getting anything with a #8 hot side.

I had to bolt on an old slightly leaky turbo just to run a couple of track events at the end of the season. I hate the smell of burnt oil….

Chris White
Old 01-04-2005, 10:33 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

As far as the stage 5 goes. Tony had no power til 4k is that what you want? Also, with out head work and exhaust, I think your building a lag monster no BB on earth is going to help fix. just my 2c
Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 AM
J Chen
Drifting

To each his own. Problem with majority of us me included
are so obsess with big hp one time or another that we all
forget is the area under the curve is what makes a fast car.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:21 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Three to four weeks to manufacture….
Ha.
Ha Ha.
Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Ain’t going to happen. I have been waiting in a 60-1 from Turbonetics since July. Turbonetics was purchased by another company last year and the service has gotten really crappy. Most shops are having a serious problem getting anything with a #8 hot side.

I had to bolt on an old slightly leaky turbo just to run a couple of track events at the end of the season. I hate the smell of burnt oil….

Chris White
i was also wondering why they needed so much time, but now..........
Old 01-04-2005, 05:22 PM
serial_modder
Intermediate

60-1 HIGH PERF...

check out my baby.

gonne be mounted on my 944
Old 01-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Stupid question, but what exactly is "dual ball bearing" and what's the advantage? I was under the impression that turbos did not use ball bearings due to the rotational speeds involved, rather they just "float" the shaft on a film of oil known as a "plane bearing" system. Is this untrue? If there are ball bearings in our turbos (dunno, I've never taken one apart), where would the second ring of them go or do? Someone edumicate me on this. . .
Old 01-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by serial_modder
check out my baby.

gonne be mounted on my 944
That's gonna' be one fine looking cupholder!
Old 01-04-2005, 05:36 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Serial: are you using the same set-up as i mentioned? (#8 hotside, oil lubricated and water cooled etc)

PS: is that a 60-1 or a 60-1 HIFI (your intake looks more than 2.75")
Old 01-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Stupid question, but what exactly is "dual ball bearing" and what's the advantage?
The whole rotating axle/wheel assembly haves two ceramic ball bearings instead of the plane bearing...lessens bearing friction by a factor of about 6.
I was under the impression that turbos did not use ball bearings due to the rotational speeds involved, rather they just "float" the shaft on a film of oil known as a "plane bearing" system. Is this untrue? If there are ball bearings in our turbos (dunno, I've never taken one apart), where would the second ring of them go or do? Someone edumicate me on this. . .
One sits on the exhaust side,one on the compressor side...due to a lot less friction,(you don't have the "drag" of the oil film) it can spool up a quite big turbo just as easy as a rather small one. I.e. you can go big,but keep "small" spool-up.

Ordinary,"stock" turbos just have the plane bearing...race turbos have one plane bearing and one ball bearing.... or two ball bearings. All to get less friction,for more power down low with a big turbo. Only problem with dual BB is that at extreme shaft speeds/surge condition you can have "shaft wobble",because there is no "dampening" oil film to stabilize the shaft. Repeat it too many times and the turbo will self-destruct.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Experience