Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 951 failed VA emissions inspection today

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 09:36 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 86 951 failed VA emissions inspection today

on 15 mph all 3 categories and 2 on 25 mph..

Anyone experience this?

This is for the car I just bought from Arkansas, no real mods except for a Weltmeister chip (per the seller). Could that be the issue? About 130k miles. I imagine those who soup up the cars could also end up failing emissions.

They will call me tommorrow to give me the estimate on costs to fix.

This sux...
Old 12-27-2004, 09:44 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I would take anything the inspection station tells you with a big grain of salt.

A lot of times, failed inspections on these cars relates to a bad O2 sensor ($130, easy to install) or an aging vaccum system prone to leaking. A set of replacement vacuum lines costs $30 and will take you a day to install. I would listen to what the inspection station has to say and then tell us before committing to any work. If you are at all wrench-handy you can likely fix the problem yourself.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:52 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks I hope you're right that's something small and cheap.

Per VA law, they needed a few things checked off a form AFTER it fails, from a Certified Emissions Repair center.. at least that's what I was told. At least they will look into it and call me with an estimate.

I'm a mechanical newbie anyway, but that's part of why I wanted this car. Will nag me enough to work on it and learn.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:02 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Certified Emissions Repair Center? Sounds like state sanctioned kickbacks. Glad I kept my car registered in Fla.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:12 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm as a matter of fact, I do have this very same problem on my 951. It is running so good, I thought it might just squeak by with a new cat but wrong-o...

Did I hear complete-set-of-vacuum-hoses for $30? Do you have somewhere specific to suggest for these? Any other suggestions?...Bruce ;]
Old 12-27-2004, 10:57 PM
alexands
Pro

I was told by a Porsche mechanic that I would not be able to pass emissions in TX because of the Weltmeister chips. I haven't tried it, though. I plan to leave the stock chips in until after inspection. If you have the stock chips it wouldn't hurt to put them back in.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have put a number of them on the "dyno" with chips and passed them, that should not be the issue.

Bruce, you car is running rich (HC). You can buy the vacuum hoses from Lindsey, MySwiss, or any number of other places (it is just vacuum hose by the foot, if you know what I mean).
Old 12-27-2004, 11:25 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul: If the O2 sensor turns to be the problem, or if you want to replace the O2 sensor itself, places like Paragon have a 'kit' that splices the sensor and comes with all the related things to get the job done right, runs for ~$50. Im planning on replacing 1/2 of the sensors in the car next month and was shooting for that O2 sensor 'kit'. Unless if there are any drawback(s) for it????
Old 12-27-2004, 11:30 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Done a general tune up? Plugs, wires, O2 sensor, filters, cap/rotor. Do that, and replace the vacuum lines as well. The kits are just 30 feet of 1/4" silicon hose.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:15 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

My car ('89 951) passed MD emissions inspections several times with the Weltmeister chips in. I believe the limits are similar to VAs.

You likely have issues other places.

Post your results. That will go a long way in helping to determine the cause of the problem rather than starting to throw O2 sensors and vacuum hoses at the car. Before you start randomly replacing parts, take the results to IMA and ask Ivan what he would recommend. Tell him you want to get it to pass emissions before you start modding the car.

And, yes, since you earlier were asking about modding the car, it will be difficult to continue to pass emissions with significant mods unless you spend a lot of time having the car tuned.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

I vote for a bad O2 sensor.

When the sensor fails the DME defaults to an overly rich mixture to protect the engine from detonation (knock/ping). This will drive the HC, CO and sometimes the CO2 numbers high.

By the same token, a vacuum leak or a lean mixture will drive the HC and CO numbers low while the NO2 numbers go through the roof.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:05 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

My car also failed VA inspection, and I was never informed of any law that stated a certified emissions tech must diagnose the problem. They let me drive it home. I'm calling shenanigans on that one.

Jerome, who is suggesting randomly replacing parts? These are the common failure points when dealing with emissions problems. The O2 sensor on his car is likely to be as old as the car is. If the original poster wants to take his car to a shop for this, great. Otherwise, this might be a good opportunity for a self-proclaimed novice to learn a thing or two while saving a good bit of cash.

And if his vacuum system is stock from 1986, I will bet $100 that there are brittle, cracked and leaking lines in there.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

The VA law doesn't require repairs to be done by a Certified Emissions Inspection Facility, but it does allow for a waiver if you spend more than a certain amount (currently $620) on emission repairs and the car still doesn't pass. And the catch is those repairs have to be performed by one of the Certifiied facilities. For a list of the facilities, check this link:

certified repair facilities

You can get a 30 day temporary registration without having passed Emissions to give yourself time to get the car sorted out.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:20 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey Paul,

Maybe 'random' was too harsh of a term to use in this case, but so far, I've heard suggestions to replace:
- O2 sensor
- vacuum lines
- cap & rotor
- plugs & wires
- filters

All told, that's about $220 in parts and a few days work for a novice.
To me, that constitutes throwing parts at a problem. Granted, any one of these (or a combination) could be the cause of the problem. What if your mechanic replaced all of these when only a filter change was needed or you got through spending $130 on a sensor when the original was OK?

There are ways to test the O2 sensor output to tell if it is bad. I'd rather do that first than spend $130 replacing it only to find out I still fail emissions. KJ, search the archives or the e-mail list archives for the process to do this. I think Clark's Garage (www.clarks-garage.com) may have the procedure as well.

Paul, no offense directed to you or your valid suggestions. Besides, sounds like KJ has already taken the car to a shop if he's waiting on an estimate. Hope it's a good shop w/ 951 experience.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:33 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree with that completely and I think KJ should do as much homework as possible before any action is taken. Thats why I mentioned a few of the likely culprits, so when the shop he has the car at says "Yeah, its the O2 sensor, a new one for this car is gonna cost $220, since its a Porsche" KJ can say "thanks but I can do it myself for half that." I didn't say "Go out and get this part and these parts, they will fix your problem."

I will be interested to hear what the shop's diagnosis and estimate is.

Quick Reply: 86 951 failed VA emissions inspection today