Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Rothmans Turbo Cup in Excellence (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/167245-rothmans-turbo-cup-in-excellence.html)

Crazy Eddie 11-12-2004 12:20 AM

Anders
What is that last car in the line ???
Looks Hot....
Regards
Ed

sweanders 11-12-2004 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Anders
What is that last car in the line ???
Looks Hot....
Regards
Ed

It's a Lotus Elise, they are great drivers cars weighing less than 800 kilos and having 120-200 hp depending on model. It's a glued aluminim body.

Crazy Eddie 11-12-2004 01:01 AM

AHHH yes I know it well
My 6 year old son is in love with it :-)
I live in Northern Ca and to date have only seen one ....
Very tiny but very hot ...
Thanks Anders
Regards
Ed

sweanders 11-12-2004 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
AHHH yes I know it well
My 6 year old son is in love with it :-)
I live in Northern Ca and to date have only seen one ....
Very tiny but very hot ...
Thanks Anders
Regards
Ed

I drove one a few years back while I had my 944S2 and after getting back in the Porsche it felt like maneuvering a rubber boat. If you ever have a chance to experience an Elise go for it!

Crazy Eddie 11-12-2004 01:38 AM

Will do
take care and thanks
Ed

93 FireHawk 968 11-12-2004 11:33 PM

Great Cup Video

Asarus;

Thanks for sharing the great racing footage. It was a blast to watch! Does anyone have these races on DVD? Also, any video from the 93-94 IMSA Fire Hawk series? I have a 93 968 Fire Hawk prepped car and would love to find some footage of the racing action.

Thanks!

Joe

FSAEracer03 11-13-2004 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by sweanders
It's a steel hood as all 1986 Cup cars.

Hey... Anders, I've had questions about your car for a while that you might be able to help me out with. I thought all the cup cars came with the driving lights removed in place of brake cooling ducts? I also thought they had the lightweight, 924 (non-power) mirrors and the white, magnesium phonies?

Did you come across some documentation saying yours was the prototype cup car or something? On the same note... did they use the option code tags on the cup cars? Was there a cup option code?

Thanks for the info guys,
Kevin

Crazy Eddie 11-13-2004 01:08 AM

I don't have a a cup car but I do have the wheels and they are
white phone dials 8's in the front 9's in the rear
And pretty lightweight like 18 lbs ?
regards
Ed

GeorgeK 11-13-2004 03:51 AM

Kevin,
in 1986 the Cup's first year , the cars had Fuchs, steel lid, 220HP, different cage. Anders' car seems corect all the way.

sweanders 11-13-2004 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
Hey... Anders, I've had questions about your car for a while that you might be able to help me out with. I thought all the cup cars came with the driving lights removed in place of brake cooling ducts? I also thought they had the lightweight, 924 (non-power) mirrors and the white, magnesium phonies?

Did you come across some documentation saying yours was the prototype cup car or something? On the same note... did they use the option code tags on the cup cars? Was there a cup option code?

Thanks for the info guys,
Kevin

The 1986 cars had Fuchs wheels eight and nice inch wide, I have them but not on the car at the moment. My car was the first Cup car and used as a demo car before the Cup series started, then it was driven by a Swedish driver, have his name somwhere in the documentation. The german cars had normal fog lights just like mine, I believe that the French and Canadian cars were slightly different.

Mine is different from stock 1986 configuration in four ways, it's upgraded to 1987 spec turbo (K26/8) and has the 305 hp French Cup chips and a modified wastegate. The catalyst converter is removed and I've added a muffler (3" free flowing) I also have different camber plates up front to be able to dial in more camber (I think it's around 3,5 degrees negative now) and H&R progressive springs all around.

It's tucked away for winter now http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/tu...for_winter.jpg
That is a 928 car cover btw, fits very nicely over 944's as well.

FSAEracer03 11-13-2004 04:30 AM

What were the differences of the '86 cup cars to the standard '86 Turbos other than exhaust than? Sounds like the later cup cars were a more different then their street counterparts. Interesting.

Lorelei is down for the count for the winter as well. It's going to be hard to go a while w/o her! *sniffle*

sweanders 11-13-2004 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
What were the differences of the '86 cup cars to the standard '86 Turbos other than exhaust than? Sounds like the later cup cars were a more different then their street counterparts. Interesting.

Lorelei is down for the count for the winter as well. It's going to be hard to go a while w/o her! *sniffle*

Qutie a lot of different things, no inner fenders, 3" exhaust, Recaro SPG drivers seat, no sunroof, LSD, Matter Roll cage, less interior parts, interior and exterior electric main switch, Fuchs 8" and 9" wheels, Bilstein coilover suspension, bigger antiroll bars, 928S4 brakes with cross drilled rotors (same as M030), full weld seamed body etc... It's a pretty long list andI haven't gotten all the things down. My impression is that the 1986 cars were still competitive in 1987 and later after a turbo upgrade.

FSAEracer03 11-13-2004 12:37 PM

That is interesting... a lot of the upgrades were 951S predecessors (standard LSD, brakes, sway bars).

Owain 11-15-2004 05:15 PM

I just got around to reading this article (my mag arrived on Friday :thumbup: ) and just wanted to add an anecdote about this car, which I remember from the 1989 season.

The article says it was the 7-Up guest car in 1989. I was working for Jim Russell Racing Drivers School at Mt. Tremblant during that summer and recall one race weekend during which Scott Goodyear was the driver of that car. During qualifying the car caught fire and had to be brought back to the paddock by flat-bed and didn't get out anymore that day. Despite that, he had put in a fast enough time to get near the front of the grid (looks like 4th). The next day the car was back running, although a little charred I think all down the passenger side. I seem to recall the 7-Up sticker being blackened and bubbled (I guess they didn't have another to put on). It looks like from the above link that he finnished in 7th, the races were all quite close and very exciting to watch.

Another guest driver in that car was Davy Jones who was driving for Jaguar in IMSA that year, IIRC. He was one of the biggest celebs that I can recall, although there were several drivers racing there that year (not necessarily in the Porsche TC) who went on to distinguish themselves. One notable was Jimmy Vasser who was driving in the Export A F2000 series. He was very fast but had trouble beating eventual series champ Claude Bourbonnais. Bourbonnais, unfortunately never got his career squared away. He eventually tried a couple of races in F3000 in Europe but his money ran out before he had anything to show for it (except for a podium finish at Donnington). Another example of having to be in the right place at the right time for fame in motor racing. It never happened for CB (although he's a multiple champion in F2000, routinely beat Jacques Villeneuve (the son) in Formula Atlantic and has driven almost everywhere from Indy to Le Mans) but deffinitely did for Vasser (who in 1989 was sponsored by LucasFilms).

Different story for the 1988 driver of this car, Stephane Proulx. He was a fantastic and very dedicated young Canadian driver who was on his way up the ladder possibly to a drive in F1 but his life was unfortunately cut short. :( I seem to remember him having the reputation of being a pain in the a$$ at the time but that was probably because he was so determined. He was picked up by Players quite early on in his career and as quite well backed.

One thing maybe someone can clear up (if anyone has read this far ;) ): the guest driver of this car for the first race of the year in 1989 at Mosport is noted as Jacques Villeneuve. Is this, as we used to say in Canada, Jacques the son or Jacques the brother? Jacques the brother (of Gilles) had a great carreer in Canadian racing and was most likely more availble at that time than the son was (he should have been racing in Italy, then) but I don't know for sure. Anyone know?

Anyway, a little Monday diversion. Back to work! :P