Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So who got smoked by the 944 V8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His review of Rennlist is not bad. Seems pretty spot on. The main board had a topic about a group buy on valve stem caps! As much as I dont like the conversions, I wouldnt have taken back my offer to sell him parts. We are all family and, while we dont have to like each other, we should not be ******** to each other on principle.

His car, his thing, I dont agree with it but who cares?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:43 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Matt,

Sometime when you come to Nashville we should go check out Predator's car, I am sure Todd knows him also.

From the picture in Predator's avatar he has one of the well done conversions.

"His car, his thing" I agree with that.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Matt H
Race Director

David, I am going to be in Nashville Thursday night. If you get the urge to hang out for a while. Currently in the hotel in Atlanta! Would love to go check it out. Like I said, there are some nice conversions out there.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:54 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt, weekdays are hard for me too get away, but will try soon.

All,
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...31&prmenbr=361

Dropping in this kind of HP for roughly the same money as I have in my engine, well....... if my engine granades, a V8 WILL get some serious thought
Old 09-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
The main board had a topic about a group buy on valve stem caps!
Is that for real? I assumed it was a joke. Valve stem caps?
Old 09-28-2004, 02:12 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

lol it was real... I thnk the turbo and turbo s is a little more technical though... the 944 etc forum is more like OT
Old 09-28-2004, 01:36 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, to Doug, aka "Moron" and to those of you in here that think I and others are lashing out at those that choose to think out side of the box with their cars is not at all the point being made or how this all started. I am all about pushing the envelope on cars.

Lart, ECU, myself and others were merely pointing out the "gentleman" that thought it was his duty to
A. Flame a 944T that he supposedly smoked in his conversion car,
B. That his numbers were compleltey false. So either he is a liar or a moron. It doesn't get much simpler then that

If it just so happens that there seems to be a preponderance of ignorance about automotive performance in the "Porsche Hybrid" world so be it. I.e. "450hp, 245tq", "All modified 951's are high on hp and painfully low on tq" AHHH, NOPE. See me previous rebuttal to that incorrect fact on page 2.

Everyone on this board knew immediately those numbers were false, yet everyone on the hybrid board felt those numbers sounded accurate. This just proves which board has a higher level of automotive competence.

Hey John, if you can meet up with some of these guys out in TX, that would be awesome!! Unfortunately, another common problem with ignorant people is they have to learn things the hard way, and a video posted on their own site of you eating one of these guys up on the street or track would certainly get them thinking that "yes, we are in fact morons, just like they told us on Rennlist."
Old 09-28-2004, 01:52 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Is that for real? I assumed it was a joke. Valve stem caps?
Ya Porsche valve stem caps. Why not a group buy?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:32 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

............ I ......SEE.......... STUPID PEOPLE!!! AYEEEEE

"Its better to keep you mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all question of doubt." the guys from those v-8 boards shoud take this advice. Its clearly a new board.

Porsche for drag racing, Porsche with NOS, Porsche with american engines........
WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT? THEY'll TRASH THE CAR THEY OWN!! WAY TO GO GUYS!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:00 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like black filters, what color do you like ?
Old 09-29-2004, 03:29 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blitz951
I would like to make my previous statement clear. The car I am talking about has 370 rwhp. I don't think a 370 to the flywheel would make it with a 996tt but to the rear wheels it is no problem. I am not sure about the GT2 but seeing how bad it can beat a stock 996TT I dont see how a GT2 could be faster except off the line. From a role I still think the GT2 would lose period. 370 rwhp in a 3000 lbs 951 is no joke. Stock 911's are fast but they are not crazy fast until they are modified and as far as V8's they can take out just about anything when they are built right but lets face one thing today and that is if you have 450 rwhp in a 951 you will not lose to a 370 hp V8 unless its in much lighter car.
Are you blitzed ? Otherwise I would recommend to send your resume to Weissach and show the boys how to do it.
I am certain you have never driven Gt 2 or have seen a dynochart because the are putting down 450 hp to the wheels , the are way underrated from the factory.
As a matter of fact the Carrera GT is only marginal faster than a Gt 2 , so tuned 951's running with Carrera GT's now ?
By the way , I am speaking from personel experience , not hearsay or what I have read on Rennlist.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:15 PM
blitz951
Pro

Pole postion,
If a GT2 does put 450 hp to the wheels then there is no way a 951 would have a chance unless it was heavily modified and it would still get killed off the line. My info. is limited to what what is printed from Porsche and is available to the gen. public. Furthermore, I have not seen any GT2 dynocharts so with your personel experience can you show us a dynochart with this car putting down 450 rwhp? If you can then I will believe you were not blitzed when you gave this info. provided the car is stock. As far as my resume, I dont think the boys in Germany need an MD but from your above statement you might be the man they are looking for.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:38 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blitz951
Pole postion,
If a GT2 does put 450 hp to the wheels then there is no way a 951 would have a chance unless it was heavily modified and it would still get killed off the line. My info. is limited to what what is printed from Porsche and is available to the gen. public. Furthermore, I have not seen any GT2 dynocharts so with your personel experience can you show us a dynochart with this car putting down 450 rwhp? If you can then I will believe you were not blitzed when you gave this info. provided the car is stock. As far as my resume, I dont think the boys in Germany need an MD but from your above statement you might be the man they are looking for.
I have personel driven the Gt 2 and Carr Gt for extended periods of time , have personel witnessed dynoruns with personel license plates and so on.
Post a new thread on the Gt 3 / Gt 2 forum ( or search) and you shall receive instantly , if I am remember correctly the moderatar there dyno ' ed his car with a europipe and so have some others. However you have to pay attention to the modelyear because later cars have more Hp.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:51 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the 951 vs. TT/GT2 you guys keep stating peak power figures for the comparo. Though I admit that there are cars that beat us, modified 951's still have little respect except from the mouths of those who have been in them and/or belittled them on the road and found out what they can do. I agree with Big John that a mod'd 951 putting 370/370 to the tires probably wouldn't beat a GT2, but it shouldn't be discounted just yet, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it edged out a 996TT. What counts the most is area under the torque curve, and that's where our cars shine as far as power is concerned.

Example: Does a ~235whp 951 walk away from a C5 'Vette droptop on a highway? I dunno, ask the owner of one that I went against earlier this summer. The look on his face was priceless.

To the head guy at the Hybrid forum... hey man, don't listen to the naysayers on here. What you guys do should definitely be respected and smiled upon. But don't be surprised when Rennlisters backlash on your forum when you claim to not allow any bashing.. and ban members from here when they comment. You guys did a very nice job of bashing Rennlist in your off topic I saw
Old 09-30-2004, 04:00 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree with kevin here. A broad tq and hp curve is key.

I could see a properly setup 370rwhp 951 walking a non x50 tt but, it's not gonna run with a GT2 sorry. I know a guy with a GT2 I have seen what the car run's like from freeway roll's and even though I haven't raced him I know those car's are very very fast. You ride in one and watch the speedo and tack and you will get it. I haven't been in a 370rwhp 951 but, I have been in a 350rwhp one. There would be no comparing those two car's....the GT2 would lite him up in any gear or from any speed that the 951 wished to race from.. I can say this with confidence. Now if you want to talk about a 951 with 400+rwhp....then maybe.

Like I said the only 951 I ever hered of beating a GT2 is DFAST and he had 480rwhp. I also think Rage could take one but, for the rest of us.....not unless he is sleeping at the wheel. You have to remember we are talking about a car with 1 full liter more displacement 15 year newer porsche technology.....two turbos,6 gears,superior aerodynamics and chassis. I have yet to see one dyno at 450rwhp.....I would like to see the chart. I have seen them dyno in the 420-440rwhp range. Most of them I am sure fall within this category. The older year's have 460crank hp and the newer one's more like 480.

Take 10% of 480=48
which makes 5%=24
24+48=82crank hp loss @ 15%

Which would mean in theory if the new one's do have 480crank hp they would prolly put down 400 at the wheels. Now they are prolly more effecient than 15% perhaps 12%. That double with the fact that I also agree and they are underrated from the factory and that's were you see th4e 420-430rwhp dyno's.

In keeping the same way of thinking 450rwhp
10% of 450=45
which makes 5%=22.5
which makes 67.5crank hp @ 15% loss
So 67.5+450=517.5crank hp in therory. Are the new GT2's underrated by nearly 40hp? I don't know that's a strong statement. There are always a few ringer's in the mix. Some car's just seem to run better without any rhime or reason to it. I would venture to guess a 450rwhp completely stock GT2 is not the norm. Most of them would fall 10-20rwhp under that mark.

I would think giving the serious advantage's to the GT2 here you will atleast need to match the car's in peak hp. Ofcourse driver counts for quite alot and just because he does have a faster car doesn't mean he knows what he is doing...and in certain condition's you could end up beating him. Happens all the time a faster car loses to a slower one because of condition's or driver.

Take your 235rwhp 951 beating a 300rwhp c5 vette for instance. It was a vert and a auto i am sure....which helped....but, condition's play a large role in street races.

Quick Reply: So who got smoked by the 944 V8?