Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So who got smoked by the 944 V8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 01:35 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we aren't comparing the capabilites of the two car's for max hp I don't think anyone here is arguing that fact so....put your dyno's down. 30k if you buy the parts and install them yourself. Those number's you got are from rage....atleast the above ones are I don't know about the two below. You forget that in our car's 30k is a ton and you can build a monster for that. In a 911 turbo the prices can get alot higher.

It's all relative. If you want a 600hp 951 call up Dave.... he has about that in his race car.

Anyone can make a certain amount of hp with enough money...the real question is how relaible is it at that level. That's actually kind of the debate going on here. Since you quoted rage's dyno number's you yourself can see he is about 550hp. Ask him if he has 30 grand in performace mods on his car.

The GT2 is going to produce more hp per lb of boost because it's newer better technology more displacement ect. I am just bringing up the argument that everyone already knows. It's about money. You can have a pinto running 9's in the quater if you so wish. You can have a 500hp 951 if you want to spend the money. You can even have a modded GT2 if you care to spend the money. Pick your poison.

Most people run around 2.5-3.0bar fuel pressure but, they run much larger injector's so it doesn't matter. Ofcourse upgrading the fuel pump as well would help.

I guess the point people are trying to make is....how often are you going to run into a GT2 much less one that's modded. A 400whp 951 can be had for about the cost of a new GT mustang...or even cheeper....and in real world terms it's enough to beat most car's on the road.

I am no where near those power level's and I can take 9 out of 10 car's I run into on the street. A modded GT2 is one rare puppy. You said yourself there are only 200 in the US. I know of one here in dallas.....I know the guy he is nice ...and the car is 100% bone stock...he plans on keeping it that way.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Shaheed,
I actually do not have any worthwhile images to post of the engine because you cannot see anything. The engine lid is surprising small and reveals very little. However the engine will be dropped over the winter period for some tweaking on the engine dyno and for the double clutch plates to be replaced so hopefully I will be able to get some decent photos then.
Dear John,
I entirely agree that there is not a 951 around except maybe a seriously highly modified race car type conversion which could take a standard GT-2. I was politely and carefully questioning some of the comments that were made. My GT-2 has 700 HP with nearly 800 Nm of torque and drives very well around town and is very comfortable to drive. I do not believe these highly modified 951s that I read about, that claim they can take a GT-2 ,that I would classify as road going cars. Let me put it another way, here in Switzerland they would never receive a registration slip.
However it is time to bail out because I am getting mixed signals and I do not wish things to go south.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2
Old 10-01-2004, 03:38 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
My GT-2 has 700 HP with nearly 800 Nm of torque and drives very well around town and is very comfortable to drive. I do not believe these highly modified 951s that I read about, that claim they can take a GT-2 ,that I would classify as road going cars.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2
Adrian, I don't think you have to worry about "ANY" 951 taking you.

Your car has 2 times the power of the "average" modified 951 and very few 951"s are above 500 HP (much less 700 hp as your's) and most of those I would venture to guess are not road going.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear David,
I am not worried. I am unlikely to come across any 951s driven by people here unless a few receive invites for the events planned for next year.
I like to have the odd discussion on comparisons of HP and going fast and the odd kill, why not?
I also like to learn a little bit more about what modifications are carried out so I can make my own determination of what is what.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2
Old 10-01-2004, 04:35 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

By Adrian
I also understand that I have to be seriously careful what I say.
You are so right about that Adrian, Iam watching closely .

On a serious note GT2's are nothing short of spectacular, a marvelous car indeed very close to perfection. I have seen only 1 here in California but I have never driven one. They are way, way out of my league I only make 80k/year + house payment, + 3 kids, 80k is barely enough to survive.... I can only dream of owing a GT2 which I do prefer over the C-GT. Once i drove a 951 with stock suspension and close to 370rwhp, my tuner was working on my car and ask me if i wanted to drive a 370rwhp car, i said "hell yes" than we went for a test drive on the 951 with 370rwhp 951, it was scary like hell the suspension was so loose, there is no way that car can be driven safely, a 951 with 500rwhp is going to need serious suspension mods to keep up with that level of power in a race track. The suspension, brakes and the whole dynamics of the GT2 were designed to deal with such power from factory. Nothing is imposible and I admit there are some 951 out there capable of such power and can probably defeat a GT2 in a straigh line but the track hummmm... I don't know I think the GT2 would clearly win.

My .02 cents of ignorance.

Last edited by lart951; 10-01-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Or in top end speed. I doubt there are many 951s that can go much past 170 mph.
I have had my GT-2 over 200 mph and we got there pretty quickly as well. The GT-2 is not good on the short twisty type of tracks. However they do well on the longer tracks. They are awesome at places like the Ring.
Sadly Porsche decided not to develop the GT-2 into a proper race car so they never got to go around places like Le Mans in any anger. Mind you that might be slightly, just a little bit rectified at Le Mans 2005 for 3-laps anyway.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2
Old 10-01-2004, 05:22 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I wasn't referring to top speed but to 1/4 mile times.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Not something I am into or have ever become involved in I am afraid. I know a guy with a little VW Golf with 600 HP up front. I leave the drag racing for him. I have never seen him beaten by any road car including the numerous Porsches that have taken him on.
I am also worried I would fry my clutch (dumping it at high rpm) because of the rather large amount of torque my GT-2 has.
I know a couple of these "Motoring Journalists" quite well and the stories you read in magazines do not include the damage that was done to various cars to achieve certain times. These guys often claim clutch burn outs as knotches on their bed posts.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2
Old 10-01-2004, 05:56 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
Or in top end speed. I doubt there are many 951s that can go much past 170 mph.
Factory 944 turbo Cup cars were clocked at 186 mph on the Hunaudières straight at Le Mans, for the opening race of the 1989 turbo Cup Trophy.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:01 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I agree with you on that, drag racing is not something that is attractive to me, but Iam not discussing that either, because is a sensitive issue here as well. I think if one wants to drag race the way to go is American muscle cars or Japan's supra and skyline.

Quick Reply: So who got smoked by the 944 V8?