Tial WG doesn't fit - need advice : UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tial WG doesn't fit - need advice : UPDATE

I'm trying to install a 38 mm Tial WG with adapter plates and it doesn't even come close to fitting in the car. The inlet and exhaust faces of the WG don't match up to the inlet and discharge pipes in the car. Look at this photo of a factory WG (left) next to the Tial.

I've lined up the inlet faces of the two WG's. You can see the studs of the factory WG lining up exactly with the corresponding holes on the Tial inlet adapter plate. However, you can also see that the discharge faces of the two WG's are way different. The Tial, with adapter plates, extends another 1/2 inch or so beyond the factory WG. Even if I take the plate off, the flange that's part of the Tial still extends beyond the edge of the factory unit.

The factory WG fits perfectly to the stock exhaust pipes. Clearly the Tial cannot unless the pipes are modified. I was under the impression that the Tial would be a drop-in replacement for the factory WG. Has anyone had to modify the exhaust pipes to make a Tial fit? I've never heard of this being done, unless I've somehow missed something.

I'm guessing it's probably easiest to just have a new crossover pipe fabricated for the inlet side. The exhaust discharge pipe is welded to the exhaust and is probably best left as is. What do people recommend?

Last edited by Jake951; 08-28-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:39 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know there are some fitment issues with the 86 because of the 1 piece crossover pipe, did someone put a 1 piece crossover on your 89?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the factory original crossover pipe for '89 models. I know this for a fact because I have owned the car since new!
Old 08-27-2004, 12:46 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a drop-in deal. The orientation of the wastegate will be different, but like you've already noticed, the flanges are different. It doesn't lay in there exactly like the original, but there's no need to custom fab anything regarding the crossover pipe.

It's kind of tight, and you can buy yourself some space by removing the original wastegate hanger from the torque tube.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:54 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine did not fit easily, but its an 86 so that was to be expected...I have a pic just like yours and I couldnt comprehend how the planes were so different. But it went on, and its still good. Definately lose the hanger though
Old 08-27-2004, 01:00 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Jake, didn't have to make any mods on my 89, but as Brian said it was a tight fit.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:20 AM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Fitted fine on my 1990 car. But you have to loosen all the pipes and do alot of jiggling around. I did not refit the hanger.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:24 AM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Save yourself alot of heartache and make sure that you tighten the 4 bolts that hold the adaptor plates to the wastegate with high temp locktight and tighten them very very hard.

Also make sure you have new gaskets on the exhaust sides, and maebe even use a smear of exhaust paste too.

Just my experience.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. I did remove the exhaust hanger earlier because it blocked the Tial. After that I spent another 2-3 hours trying to maneuver the Tial into place without success. As you can see from the photo, there needs to be about 1/2 inch of realignment of the pipes to make the Tial fit. However, there just isn't enough "give" in the exhaust pipes to move them around to where they need to be. I don't know how you guys have done it!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:58 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

I noticed the same thing when I tried to just slide the Tial into place. But onec I loosened ALL the pipes, it slid in and bolted up fine.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:08 AM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Originally Posted by awilson40
I noticed the same thing when I tried to just slide the Tial into place. But onec I loosened ALL the pipes, it slid in and bolted up fine.
Yes, with all the pipes loose and some 'gentle' persuasion everything fitted fine. I notice you said that the exhaust discharge pipe is welded to the exhaust… This shouldn’t be the case, or at least not on my car. I could loosen both pipes that attach to the wastegate flanges and then work the wastegate into position. If you can’t adjust the exhaust side I can see why it would cause problems.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:35 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I put in a tial WG 2 years ago no problems putting it in. The crossover pipe you have to turn it a bit right or left,keep everythink loose untill it all lines up then tighten all the bolts. I used all the orginal pipes on car. The valve on tial faces to the pipe not like stock one. I did not use the exhaust hanger.

You have to tighten all bolts after a few heat cycles, because they will be loose, i put lock washers everywere.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:36 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, mine needed a little extra effort to get my pipes to line up. I assume there is always a little play in exhausts. Who knows.

Max
Old 08-27-2004, 11:01 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Wow, If your discharge pipe is welded, then you are screwed.
It needs the factory slip joint so you can rotate it for the Tial to fit.
I would cut the discharge pipe, mount everything up. Then reweld the
discharge pipe.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, maybe I missed seeing a factory slip joint somewhere along the discharge pipe. I do know that the far end of that pipe is welded solidly to the exhaust. As you can see from the photo above, the discharge pipe really needs to slide backwards about 1/2" for the Tial to fit and it can only do that if there is adjustability in the length of the discharge pipe. I'll have another go at it this weekend. Thanks again for the pointers!

Quick Reply: Tial WG doesn't fit - need advice : UPDATE