Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OFF TOPIC: Golf..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004 | 09:18 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFF TOPIC: Golf..

Ok this is way off topic and sorry to all the people that get upset with these posts.

Anyway i need some help, i started playing golf a little while ago and i've been borrowing or renting clubs however if anyone has done that before you know it gets annoying and its hard to get used to a set of clubs and then change the set ya know?

I am looking to buy some clubs, but i know nothing about clubs. I wouldn't mind giong to a sporting good store and talking to them and i'm sure they could help me get a set but i'm also even more sure that golf clubs are something i could get for a great deal on ebay or online stores. I'm sure lots of people go upto much more expensive clubs as they get really into the sport and have their old clubs that they sell.

Like car parts i'm looking for a begginer set i suppose however something thats a platform to build on, so i dont wanna be buying a new set when i get good, i'm willing to spend between 200-300 bucks. This is the only place i could go for some advice, i'm sure lots of you play, gimme some tips on this.

thanks
Old 08-15-2004 | 09:33 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would buy a good set of knock off clones, something of a knock off ping. I played clone ping eye2's for many years, (select model made them), and i played par golf no problem. I actually started with handme down titelist AC108's, then went to DTRs, and i really started hitting solid shots once i switched to the ping clones believe it or not. I now play Taylor made firesole irons, along with taylor made woods (burners and 200 series). After you find out you like golf and start getting better with shot placement etc, then spend some money on good irons. I would buy some decent woods right off the bat, sometimes used golf stores have some really nice used clubs cheap, that is the other option. If you can find a used set of ping eye2's, they will be an excellent set of clubs, and you really wont outgrow them until you start playing really good golf. I would plan on dropping 200-300 just on irons. Any cheaper, and you might end up with some crappy irons that no one can hit, which will then discourage you from playing. Go to a big golf shop and hit some of their used irons, and see what feels good to you, then go try and find a used set somewhere.
Old 08-15-2004 | 09:35 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about asking in the OT forum?
Old 08-15-2004 | 09:43 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

i woulda, but i cant get into the OT forum, says something about not having acess to it. Thats why i put a big sign up in the title, OFF TOPIC, so people who are on here for technical stuff only didn't have to read it.

i checked ebay and there are a ton of used ping eye2s, whats the difference between the copper and the steel ones and also there is black dot, red...green or something, what does that mean?
Old 08-15-2004 | 09:49 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh copper has a soft feel. I would go with the standard steel. The dots are for length. Go to ping's website and there is a sizing chart....i think you measure from the tips of your fingers (with your arms at your side) to the floor, and that will correspond to a length or dot that will fit you correctly (one of the only club manufacturers that do this, besides custom club makers).
Old 08-15-2004 | 09:49 PM
Matt H
Race Director

OT is for members only. That is why you cannot access it. Otherwise, the less technical and less likely to get pissy board is the 924/944/968 board. The turbo board stays relatively technical and on topic. Just an FYI
Old 08-15-2004 | 09:51 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Black dot would be standard, i played a red dot (5'10"), which is 1 degree flatter than a black dot, meaning i have long monkey arms and hold my hands a bit lower than average. It is so the club head lays flat on the ground and not at an angle.
Old 08-15-2004 | 09:54 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Also, unless you have a bad back, go with steel shafts. While a lot of guys play graphite, it is really for people who can't swing as hard as normal. I played graphite for years before i figured that out.
Old 08-15-2004 | 09:54 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

sounds good i'll check out the website, these eye2s are knock off ping?

thanks for the tip, and i would really not like to argue with you about this...or anyone else for that matter. I've been on this board for like 3 years and rule of thumb for me is if i'm not interested in a post i dont click on it and dont waste my time. Also this is one of my very few off topic posts, figure i'm allowed like one a year without people getting too pissy.
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:06 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

no the eye2's are a ping brand, i think they came out in the late 80's or so? So they are a couple models old, that is why you should be able to pick some up cheap....they are still good. My sandwedge is still a ping eye2 red dot, best sandwedge available, period. The model that replaced the eye2's was the ping zings, i think around 93ish
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:14 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

oh ok, is there anything that i should keep in mind while looking for clubs?should i go to a store and try these out?i was at sports authority when my buddy bought some golden bears and he loves em. However when i was trying out the clubs there it was tough for me to tell the difference between them, so it didn't really help me much. If i was to blindly buy the eye2s would that be a bad idea? or do you think i'll be alright, i'm not going to be playing profesional any time soon but i'd like to be around a par golfer at some point.
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:26 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.4gea.com

www.thegolfchannel.com

Both are good golf discussion boards
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:28 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

thanks dave that helps, i'll talk to them, and try to delete this thread, and if i cant maybe a moderator will see it and delete it.
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:32 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Andre, I wont argue with you either. The occasional off topic post is fine. That said at nearly 1K posts and 3 years you should probably pay the 18 bucks, post this in OT and get LOADS of responses, there are bucket loads of golfers on here, some probably near you.

Either way, David has a good idea, there are golf forums, I bet they know all there is to know about golf on those sites. There is another good one at www.lowprogolf.com
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:40 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt, Ken at Low Pro is great, he also sponsers the GEA golf forum.

Quick Reply: OFF TOPIC: Golf..