Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sealing oil pressure sender, RTV or Threadlocker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 02:17 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sealing oil pressure sender, RTV or Threadlocker?

I recently replaced my oil pressure sender, the old one was leaking and would pin to 5 bar at anything above 1.2krpm or so.

When I put the new one on, I torqued it down but it started "weeping" oil immedatly from the join. I wiped it clean and checked after a while, and it was weeping pretty good. So I cranked it on tighter, still it stopped weeping and figured that was ok. Now it leaks, pretty heavily.

I figure ill take it off next oil change and seal it up, my mechanic suggested doing this if I wanted to. My question is, what would be better? I have blue and red threadlocker, and Ultra Grey RTV which I think is oil safe...

And yes, the crush washer was on there the whole time.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:39 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OPSU (Oil pressure Sending Unit) comes with a crush washer to prevent leaks.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:47 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Threadlocker is not designed to be a sealant.

If you're concerned about leaking and don't trust only the crush washer, use some RTV. Most of them are oil and pressure resistant, just get something that is rated up to 300 degrees or so.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick yourself up some High Temp Permatex Thread Sealer...item# 59214. I used this on my oil press sensor with great results. It does not dry hard either so you can remove the item as well when needed.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you use the crush washer, and it is only good for one use. The HT sealer from Permatex is good but I've had good results with plain old white teflon tape.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:54 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

The washer is on there, it came with the sender, and the washer was on the old one, both leak in the same way

Anyway, RTV it is and maybe now my lonely oil leak will be gone <Pounds furiously on wood for a few hours>

Thanks guys.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:57 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to make sure that the
housing isn't cracked. Mine
leaked & found out that there
was a crack.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:54 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by J Chen
Check to make sure that the
housing isn't cracked. Mine
leaked & found out that there
was a crack.
I didnt see an cracks when I put it on but ill check again.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:19 PM
z3bra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use Teflon tape or the goopy Teflon thread sealant as well, RTV is somewhat oil resistant, but Teflon is far and away more oil resistant than any silicone is or probably ever will be. (Dare I say oil proof with Teflon?) For an oil pan gasket RTV is a better choice in that it sets to a shape, but for a threaded seal application the Teflon is a much better choice.

Eventually, almost any silicone will break down with continual oil exposure. Teflon won't. If you are set on an RTV, just make sure you at the very least use something like an ultra gray or ultra black silicone as they're a bit more oil resistant and won't break down nearly as quickly..
Old 07-14-2004, 09:51 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by z3bra
I would use Teflon tape or the goopy Teflon thread sealant as well, RTV is somewhat oil resistant, but Teflon is far and away more oil resistant than any silicone is or probably ever will be. (Dare I say oil proof with Teflon?) For an oil pan gasket RTV is a better choice in that it sets to a shape, but for a threaded seal application the Teflon is a much better choice.

Eventually, almost any silicone will break down with continual oil exposure. Teflon won't. If you are set on an RTV, just make sure you at the very least use something like an ultra gray or ultra black silicone as they're a bit more oil resistant and won't break down nearly as quickly..
Ill see if I can find some of that teflon stuff if its the best for the job. Thanks for the headsup.

Quick Reply: Sealing oil pressure sender, RTV or Threadlocker?