Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1986 944 Turbo Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 01:58 PM
LukeWasHere
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 944 Turbo Buying Advice

Hey everyone I’m new around here, I’m looking to purchase a 1986 951 and I found one that I like. I’m located in Arizona and my budget is around 15-20k. The car I found is located in LA and is listed for 18k, it has 164,000 miles and seems to be in pretty good condition. Paint looks great with only a couple imperfections(guards red) and the interior is mint. All lights, gauges, and interior controls work ac blows cold. The timing and balance shaft belts and rollers were changed last year around 2000 miles ago along with new fuel injectors, pump, and filter. The clutch, crank rod bearings and water pump were also changed recently(not specified how recently). Just last week coolant, brake, and clutch fluids were flushed along with the ac being recharged and a few sensors replaced. Issues include a few paint imperfections (very minor) a clunk coming from rear on takeoff (likely needs new CV axles) slightly leaking power steering hoses, and worn valve seals giving off a bit of smoke on a cold start. A few new parts are included with the car such as a new air oil separator, various gaskets and seals, and a rebuilt factory head in great condition. Compression is in the mid 130’s on all 4. The car also has a full 3 inch custom exhaust.

This will be my first 944 and first Porsche so I’m looking for some advice as to whether or not this seems like a good deal at 18k. What things should I be looking for when I go to see the car next week? Is there any maintenance I should expect to do soon if I decide to purchase it? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated, a 951 is one of my dream cars and I would love to own one. I’ll also add that I am mechanically inclined and will be doing all the work myself.
Old 07-22-2024, 05:13 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

sounds like a nice car. has a lot of miles so price could be a little lower but if maintenance up to date should be good to go. make sure car is checked by shop familiar with these cars. check wear items like motor mounts and anything leaking,.
these are great cars hope you get it!
The following users liked this post:
Boris.Park (07-29-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 04:00 AM
LukeWasHere
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Turbodan
sounds like a nice car. has a lot of miles so price could be a little lower but if maintenance up to date should be good to go. make sure car is checked by shop familiar with these cars. check wear items like motor mounts and anything leaking,.
these are great cars hope you get it!
Thank you for your response! I will definitely do my best to check all wear items and get a solid maintenance history, the seller is negotiable on price what would you say is a good offer if 18 is a little high for the miles? I was planning on negotiating down to 16 or 16500

Last edited by LukeWasHere; 07-23-2024 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2024, 06:09 AM
Nochrome
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen this listing and the car seems to be in really good condition. The price seems fair for how the pictures present it. The mileage isn't bad either, keep in mind that these cars are almost 40yrs old. The first things I would do is an oil/filter change with VR1 oil. New air filter, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Those are the first things I did to my car when I first got it 4yrs ago and it's ran great since. I absolutely love driving it out at the edge of town full send.
Old 07-23-2024, 06:50 AM
LukeWasHere
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Nochrome
I have seen this listing and the car seems to be in really good condition. The price seems fair for how the pictures present it. The mileage isn't bad either, keep in mind that these cars are almost 40yrs old. The first things I would do is an oil/filter change with VR1 oil. New air filter, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Those are the first things I did to my car when I first got it 4yrs ago and it's ran great since. I absolutely love driving it out at the edge of town full send.
Thank you for your response! I also thought the price seemed fair for how clean it looks in the post, I’ve been messaging the seller for a couple weeks trying to get more info on the car as you can see in my initial post. I do plan on doing an electrical refresh along with an oil change. Thank you for the recommendation on VR1 I will look into that. I’m going to go to LA Aug 2nd to look at the car hopefully it’s as clean as it seems and I can pick it up!
Old 07-23-2024, 11:39 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 577 Likes on 346 Posts

Pre purchase inspection at a shop familiar with the platform!

NOT at a Porsche dealer.
Odds of finding a tech there with 951 experience are slim, and the typical dealer 'used car inspection' is more focused on cars they're taking in themselves.
Mostly consists of looking for profitable work that they can 'sell' to the used car manager. Brakes, shocks, tires....
Best if you find an independent Porsche shop, not the one he's been using, and pay for the inspection yourself.
Just my $.02
Doing PPIs was my favorite work...
LukeWasHere (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 11:53 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

there are shops in LA familiar with these cars. I would negotiate before you fly out. I would suggest starting at 14,000 and going up to 15k and deduct anything that is found at ppi. you can always go higher. I would tell him you are flying out, have to drive it back, time, and 40 year old car with lots of miles. Enjoy the hunt
LukeWasHere (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 12:13 PM
LukeWasHere
7th Gear

there are shops in LA familiar with these cars. I would negotiate before you fly out. I would suggest starting at 14,000 and going up to 15k and deduct anything that is found at ppi. you can always go higher. I would tell him you are flying out, have to drive it back, time, and 40 year old car with lots of miles. Enjoy the hunt
I am considering getting a pre purchase inspection, could you point me in the direction of a good shop in LA that’ll do it?
Old 07-23-2024, 12:27 PM
LukeWasHere
7th Gear

I just realized i unfortunately will probably not be able to get a pre purchase inspection done. My flight lands in the evening so all shops will be closed, and I’m not able to stay an extra day. I am pretty confident in my ability to diagnose the car especially if the guy has proof of maintenance to show, so I should still be good to go. Thank you everyone for your advice.
Old 07-23-2024, 02:50 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 104 Posts

New timing belts are due for a second tensioning after 1500 miles as I recall.
Best to have that done before driving home with it.
Old 07-23-2024, 05:25 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

By no means a scientific measure, but if the AC still works then this car has been loved.

Also, other than the upgraded 3” exhaust, sounds like it’s fairly stock, which is another good sign.

If you look enough, any car will have issues. Oil leaks are common (as long as it not pouring out of course). I’d try to chase down the clunk on the rear though. Could be as simple as needing new muffler/exhaust hangers or transmission mount.
LukeWasHere (07-24-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 06:57 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I would suggest not rushing.
what are the details of where you live/ how far away?
why not have the ppi done before you arrive?
Old 07-24-2024, 12:37 AM
LukeWasHere
7th Gear

I would suggest not rushing.
what are the details of where you live/ how far away?
why not have the ppi done before you arrive?
I live in Sierra Vista AZ, about 550 mi/8 hour drive away. Do you mean arrange it with the seller to get it done?
Old 07-24-2024, 02:03 AM
LukeWasHere
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mj951
New timing belts are due for a second tensioning after 1500 miles as I recall.
Best to have that done before driving home with it.
I wasn’t aware of this, thank you! I will ask the seller if it has been done.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:52 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 577 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeWasHere
I live in Sierra Vista AZ, about 550 mi/8 hour drive away. Do you mean arrange it with the seller to get it done?
Yes, absolutely!
You pick the shop ahead of time, pay them via credit card after they're done.
They send you the report (email?), then you're free to share it with the seller for negotiations.
Hopefully, the shop is discerning about body/paint/accident damage. Maybe ask them to pay particular attention to those areas.
Anything mechanical can be repaired, but crash damage lingers on. These are collectables now, and having a straight 'unrepaired' example adds value.
Good luck!

Another thought:
Ask him where he's been having the car serviced, and pick a different one....

Last edited by Nowanker; 07-24-2024 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 1986 944 Turbo Buying Advice