Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1986 944 Turbo Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 944M3
By no means a scientific measure, but if the AC still works then this car has been loved.

Also, other than the upgraded 3” exhaust, sounds like it’s fairly stock, which is another good sign.

If you look enough, any car will have issues. Oil leaks are common (as long as it not pouring out of course). I’d try to chase down the clunk on the rear though. Could be as simple as needing new muffler/exhaust hangers or transmission mount.
Is it the one on FB marketplace in Cypress CA for 18K? I would agree it is a promising candidate. I scrutinized all the pics and can't see anything "wrong". PCA sticker in the front windshield is a good sign. So is the working AC as someone mentioned.

If that is the car, 3 thoughts:

1 - Has it been repainted? Looks so. Look carefully at door jambs for tape lines, around window rubbers, etc.

2 - The only weird thing I did notice is... which is probably a non issue since the car runs and drives -- I noticed that I cannot see the speed and reference sensors in the back of the motor between the motor and the firewall. Maybe they're just laying down a bit behind the motor -- the plastic that holds them in does crack up ... but there's usually a metal bracket they press fit into where the body electrical harness connects to the sensor harness. But as an educated buyer if you poke around there you may want to look for them ... Circled in red to the right of the yellow arrow in this picture. Two standard looking Bosch connectors.

3 - Also car has a rear wiper motor delete, which is common enthusiast modification.

Re PPI.. a few tips below I wish I might have known before I bought mine long ago... since you're new to 951 platform.

-- Bring a flashlight. Look very carefully around the battery area and see if you see rust down there. I doubt seller would want you removing the battery but... at least ask about corrosion under the battery. Problematic if so (although many of them have it)
-- CV joints will be a repeated click-click-click noise on a 944 Turbo, not a clunk. Probably agree it's exhaust or suspension related.
-- I would also see if you get the car up on rhino ramps or something to see under it - quite hard to see leaks underneath unless you can somehow elevate the front. I'd also recommend removing the lower plastic engine cover to look up at the motor to make sure everything looks fine. May not be possible depending upon where the owner lives or whatever but a good idea.
-- Check power locks to see if they work or not. Plastic lever/ball joints break on these.
-- Check upper rear window glass. Along leading edge. The black part is probably flaked off, but see if you can see the edge of the glass has slid out from the frame. These rear hatch glass delaminate from the frame. Again most of them do it with any exterior/UV exposure but... good to know beforehand if you are going to have to fix it.
-- Looks like the fuel lines have all been replaced, which is a good sign as well.

BTW there's a nice (VERY NICE) set of 951 Fuchs wheels (86 specific) for sale in LA on Craigslist for $3200. That would really make this car red hot. Maybe grab those while you're in town hahaha.

A very easy "tell" with any 944/951 to see if it's had a front end mishap is looking very carefully at the body lines between all the front components. Any tweaking will make the gaps slightly off. From factory, the gaps are perfect. This one looks pretty good... but the front drivers age of the hood does look slightly higher than the passenger side of the hood. At least scrutinize the area carefully...

Last edited by Nashvegas; 07-26-2024 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2024, 01:06 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

ya do the ppi before you arrive. they may find a big issue (hopefully not) before you even fly there.
in the photo why is there no cover on fuse box?
I would save the wheel money for maintenance and 3200 for a set of fuchs is high. they are great wheels but very heavy.
good luck
Old 07-26-2024, 02:16 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
ya do the ppi before you arrive. they may find a big issue (hopefully not) before you even fly there.
in the photo why is there no cover on fuse box?
I would save the wheel money for maintenance and 3200 for a set of fuchs is high. they are great wheels but very heavy.
good luck
That fuse box photo isn't the car for sale. It's an image I grabbed on pelicanparts.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

haha
Old 08-03-2024, 10:37 PM
Flea3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

164k? That's crazy. Don't do it. Theses cars are practically antiques now. There is little aftermarket support, parts are NA and the knowledge base is dying. The only people who should be buying 944's now are collectors and fabrication shops. You're about 20 years too late. Lots of other cars out there. Buy a Cayman instead.

Last edited by Flea3; 08-04-2024 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2024, 12:39 AM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Flea3
164k? That's crazy. Don't do it. Theses care are practically antiques now. There is little aftermarket support, parts are NA and the knowledge base is dying. The only people who should be buying 944's now are collectors and fabrication shops. You're about 20 years too late. Lots of other cars out there. Buy a Cayman instead.
I respectfully disagree with this statement.

Funny, I’ve posted this reply before.

There is plenty of aftermarket support, plenty. About 8 years ago, I purchased my 951 after sitting for 10 years. I’ve basically replaced all worn parts and then some, not once did I need anything that I couldn’t buy new or used. Just this week I purchased from Porsche new torsion bar carrier bushings. Heck, Porsche will still sell you a brand new block shipped from Germany for f sake. Will you get the latest and greatest car gadget? Probably not, but a 944 isn’t that type of car. This active board proves the knowledge base ain’t going anywhere.

If you are ok with wrenching and troubleshooting yourself, then by all means purchase this car. 100k mile cars are selling for 30k. So under 20k doesn’t sound bad to me. Especially if cosmetically the car looks good and well kept.

If you are not ok with wrenching, then a 951 is not for you. Unless budget is not a concern. No matter how good it looks or how low the miles are, you WILL come across issues. The good news is that it’s nothing you can’t fix.

You could find an engine with low miles with scored cylinder walls or a high mileage car with pristine engine. Miles aren’t that bad in these cars, as long as it’s been well maintained.

Lastly, for an antique, that turbo kick still brings a smile to my face A blast to drive if you still enjoy an analog old school sports car.
Old 08-04-2024, 07:57 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

My advice, try to find a car within a couple of hours of where you live. And red can take a real beating from a lot of sun, so it wouldn't be my choice.

Last edited by blade7; 08-04-2024 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 1986 944 Turbo Buying Advice