Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:45 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danno, I sent you an email with an updated need for my new configuration. Please don't view this as me trying to rush you or get my money back. I am happy with the support you've always given me in the past and want to stay with your products. I just need a response so I know what I need. I'm in the middle of the turbo install now and have hopes to fire the car of by the end of next week. I'm trying to make the 944fest in early July.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, having been in the pcb (printed circuit board) business for the last eight years, I have been educated, and educated others, on the safe procedures of avoiding electrostatic discharge damage to electronic components. I have seen the damage it can do to the thousands of circuits contained in a single processor.

A common static spark, that can be seen or felt, is 50,000 times greater than the amount needed to destroy a component. The absolute worst thing somebody can do is work on electronic equipment, on the workbench in the garage, wearing tennis shoes. Rubber soles insulate you from ground, and all static potential runs through the circuit board to that nice grounded workbench, and POW!!!

The use of a properly grounded wrist strap is really the best defense against ESD. They are available at Radio Shack, and are fairly inexpensive. On the production floor, we wear carbon-fiber jackets, heel and wrist straps, and walk on special conductive floor tile to eliminate the hazard. Even the air is ionized.

That foam that those chips come in is specially treated ESD safe material. They should be kept in it as much as possible, and should be used on the old chips.

I hope this helps!

Oh, Eyal...I can personally vouch for the fact that in the REAL world of driving, Jeremy Himsel would hand you your *** on a platter...

He is... that good.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Kevin, I don't doubt i'd get my *** handed to me... What I wrote was more so sarcastic. The guy challenged me to a race, whats the point of that. So he can FEEL like a big boy when he goes around the track faster then me just cause he has more experience? great...
~Eyal
Old 06-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Got Me a Porsha
Oh, Eyal...I can personally vouch for the fact that in the REAL world of driving, Jeremy Himsel would hand you your *** on a platter...

He is... that good.
AAAW shucks. You're still the only guy to ever make me grab dash. (geez, I hope that doesn't sound too queer).
Old 06-16-2004, 03:00 PM
TT
Racer

over the past two years that GURU has been in operation, we've sold over 231 chip-upgrade kits
Thanks Danno, I'm glad you posted this information (hard to believe it has been two years).

Let's see how far your 'ethical concerns' go...

231 chips * $25/chip per our agreement = $5775

Add in chip editing SW costs:

$5775 + $200 = $5975

Subtract a set of injectors you sent me 8 months later:

$5975 - $350 = $5625

If you need my mailing address, I can provide it to you again.

Old 06-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess we found out where Guru chips came from...........
Old 06-16-2004, 04:57 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, so who is TT? Am I supposed to understand the point of his post? I have the Guru Chips.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-16-2004, 05:09 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

TT is pretty much a software god, as far as I am concerned, and he has done some VERY VERY cool things for our Motronics controlled engines. I was not aware of any relationship that existed between TT and Guru, but I know he is working with another 951 tuner who is starting to release some very nicely thought out products for our cars.

I will let TT and those other parties talk about what they are doing, if they so choose.

Regards,
Old 06-16-2004, 05:25 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

search back thru TT's old posts and you'll get the point of who he his and what he has done for 944/951 tuning. you'll also get a feel for who originated what... as scott said he has a working relationship with a 951 tuner, i don't think it's a big secret as they have both posted about their relationship before.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:57 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Blank chips can be purchased for $15 each. The information on them. Now thats a different story. I had a good friend of mine who is now a famous race car driver burn E proms for my 951 back in 1993. What's the secret?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:44 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I am late to this thread. Danno tries very hard to help people out. I have had bad luck with his chips, but that doesn't mean that he hasn't tried to help. The only thing I had a problem with was the lack of communication. But, I think he is trying very hard to help people with there problems and stand behind his product. As with any mod, you take a chance. Thats the risk you take when modifying a car.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by black944 turbo; 06-16-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

best soap opera ever.

Wonder how different vitesse's chips are from guru's.

BTW, I'm running guru's 18psi chips at 15 psi right now and they provided a noticable improvement over the ape2s I had. Smooth from idle all the way to redline, only wierd thing is a dip in revs as soon as you let go of the starter, but it recovers almost imediately on it's own then idles perfectly. Definitely recomended.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:04 PM
2+2
Pro

I strongly doubt that either pary copies each other's work...maybe look at them an analyze....but like Jimbo says, chips are pretty old as the hills and there is not much "secret" as to what is desirable. As to who may be deriving their work from whom, everyone appears to be deriving their work from Porsche...at least for stock AFM cars. Direct copy without improvements by anyone would be bad tho.

TT's post seems more like he was a provider of chips and software editing tool than finished chips...although he is now working with Vitesse to provide their chips for AFM cars. Dont know what Guru and TTs agreement was but may not all be cut and dry. Things like covenant not to compete, warranty for chips ...etc., etc. I would think that TT would be able to get help from John D. as Guru is a sponsor...I think.

Who knows.....
Old 06-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

It gets harder and harder to decide who gets your money...........

Quick Reply: Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce