Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004 | 03:57 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought all '88s (including NA models) went to the 28 pin DME socket configuration?
Old 06-14-2004 | 03:58 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

they did. That's what I was saying.
Old 06-14-2004 | 07:28 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

All 86-87 cars used 24pin EPROMS and all 88+ cars had 28pin EPROMS, it was once said that some very early 88's had 24pin chips but I have yet to see one.
Old 06-14-2004 | 07:38 PM
special tool
Banned

Just put in my new Guru's - and I could write my mods, but they would take up this whole page. Friggin things are AWESOME.
Old 06-14-2004 | 09:13 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had APE. Spoke to SteveR and he would not burn a chip for me bacause of my many mods. I have been very happy with my guru chips.

When you make a mod, you must make adjustments! A properly running engine is a complete system and everything affects everything. You made a change, which affected the system. Trouble shoot and make the corrections.

At idle the car runs super rich from my gauge and at full throttle from 3500-5000 is a little lean but after 5000 starts to go to full rich. I have tried adjusting the ARC2 to compensate but no luck its either full rich or to lean
The ARC2, like an O2, has limits as to how much a correction it can make. I see you have an adjustable FPR. What is your current fuel pressure?. Try turning down your fuel pressure, then fine tune again with the ARC2.

Bashing is the easy solution, any fool can bash. Proper troubleshooting is the correct solution.
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:14 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Bill,
I'm not even going to begin to reply to your response, its pointless. Obviously you have failed to read this whole thread. Oh and the comment about me "bashing" Gururacing, laughable at best!!
Old 06-15-2004 | 12:28 AM
Blueman33
Pro

Bill, I must agree with Dan.

I am not into bashing, but to say 'oh, you're bashing' in response to someone's bad experience ......is not useful to anyone.

I don't post bashing all the time, look up my postings, but there are threads about people complaining about chips, many many delivery complaints, many empty promises, bad j-pipes, MAP kits that wouldn't work, and even one complaint about having their 951 toasted and towed.

It is unlikely that all these were just made up to be mean or to bash.

There are also posts about the advice Danno has given and about people who have gotten chips that impressed them.

We are not here to criticize anyone unjustly or take one bad instance and blow it out of line, and generally speaking people cut a lot of slack, but we are here to share our experiences and when numerous folks have problems, i think the approach of "oh, you're just bashing" is incorrect.

I do not perceive any post regarding Danno that I have seen as being erroneous, exagerated, or inaccurate.

I don't bash Danno, nor defend him, but I think people are just posting their experience, whether good or bad......no one is purposely being mean nor making up that they liked GURU products respectively.

Funny, when someone says something positive, no one jumps in to say, "oh here you go again, just saying nice stuff, i'm tired of hearing it"

My $ .02.
Old 06-15-2004 | 12:29 AM
Blueman33
Pro

Bill, I must agree with Dan.

I am not into bashing, but to say 'oh, you're bashing' in response to someone's bad experience ......is not useful to anyone.

I don't post bashing all the time, look up my postings, but there are threads about people complaining about chips, many many delivery complaints, many empty promises, bad j-pipes, MAP kits that wouldn't work, and even one complaint about having their 951 toasted and towed.

It is unlikely that all these were just made up to be mean or to bash.

There are also posts about the advice Danno has given and about people who have gotten chips that impressed them.

We are not here to criticize anyone unjustly or take one bad instance and blow it out of line, and generally speaking people cut a lot of slack, but we are here to share our experiences and when numerous folks have problems, i think the approach of "oh, you're just bashing" is incorrect.

I do not perceive any post regarding Danno that I have seen as being erroneous, exagerated, or inaccurate.

I don't bash Danno, nor defend him, but I think people are just posting their experience, whether good or bad......no one is purposely being mean nor making up that they liked GURU products respectively.

Funny, when someone says something positive, no one jumps in to say, "oh here you go again, just saying nice stuff, i'm tired of hearing it"

My $ .02.
Old 06-15-2004 | 12:57 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Blueman33
but I think people are just posting their experience, whether good or bad......no one is purposely being mean nor making up that they liked GURU products respectively.

exactly, the simple fact of the matter is that danno sent me multiple chips and none worked, car would not start and idle with any of them. after a year of that i had enough. i got one set of chips from vitesse (same day i ordered them!) and they worked right away. these are the facts nothing more, nothing less.

it's ludicrous for anyone to say that this is not relevant information that should not be shared with the rest of the 951 community.
Old 06-15-2004 | 12:59 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by shaheed
exactly, the simple fact of the matter is that danno sent me multiple chips and none worked, car would not start and idle with any of them. after a year of that i had enough. i got one set of chips from vitesse (same day i ordered them!) and they worked right away. these are the facts nothing more, nothing less.

it's ludicrous for anyone to say that this is not relevant information that should not be shared with the rest of the 951 community.
Did Danno refund your money on the chips?
Old 06-15-2004 | 01:02 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Dan87951
Did Danno refund your money on the chips?
nope i'm not going to ask him to, i've chalked this up to a learning experience, i lost some money but came out of it wiser.
Old 06-15-2004 | 01:38 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Dan87951
Eyal,
I really hope some of your comments were not directed towards me, if they were it really shows how mature you are on a public form. I simple asked a question about getting my chips to work properly. If those comments were directed towards me I hope to see you at 944fest to confront you on the subject of some of the name calling. ("bitch and not being a decent person").
No, they were not. You had a lagit question, its just annoying where this thread went.
I'm going to read on after this post, I was out of town. I'm sure I'll have something to say. I am quite amused with the personal threat though, unfortunatly I won;t be at 944fest, looks like to some of you guys relief huh.
~Eyal
Old 06-15-2004 | 01:53 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Jeremy Himsel
Eyal, I know exactly how much you know about your car, I have unfortunately read 3000 of your 4000 posts. I know, I know, You have your head off. I remember reading the thread "how do I get the distributor thingy off" as a starting point. As I stated before just because you did the job once (with a self proclaimed "Guru" 's) help doesn't make you an expert. You promote a product you have never tried and that little buddy, just isn't right. I feel sorry for the guy who's PM'ing you about the job.

As far as mechanics goes, me and most of the people on this board are in totally different league then you so keep your one hitter quitter advice to yourself. Keep up the "anyone got a free part (intake gasket) and "I love Danno" posts and maybe you'll learn something. In this case, children should be seen and not heard. But if you really want a pissing match, I'm doing a few DE's in California this year and we can settle this on the track? Bring your buddy with ya. Since you're an expert and all.........
I asked about the distributor as a back up. I knew how to do it, but wanted to make sure what I figured was true, so i dont break it. Danno helped me once, in the beginning, i do all my ****. I dont promotoe guru at all. Never have. thats dannos job, not mine. And i have tried guru stuff, more then you know. I am running guru stuff right now, so i do know. You coming to assumptions little buddy, that just isn't right... mer. you are right my friend, you are in a different league. When you can make decent points, not pull **** out your ***, and quit the personal attacks, you can step up into my league, until then, pipe down. I love the race threat, cute. Want to try me in a 165 HP impreza? Buttonwillow? You would be surprised at how a car with half the HP can stay there in your mirror, and if you **** up, I'll pass you. You'll have to pay though
if you want to feel like a big boy and bitch at me in person, come by while your here, I'll buy you a beer, until then, get off your soap box.
~Eyal
Old 06-15-2004 | 02:06 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 2+2
Turbite, so you ran extremely rich with Steve R? Are you saying that the richness washed your walls and ended up with scoring? There was another thread that asserted "washing of cylinder walls" by a rich mixture never happens....

As to your chips, I wonder what happened? What are you running now?
It didnt score, but the wear was evident.
The block only had 5000 miles on it and the wear was clear.

I sent a piston through it anyway, but for a brand new block, it had a lot of where.
Either way you look at it. <10AFR from 3.5 to 5.0 is bad.

But the PO owner got the chips, maybe he told Steve the wrong thing...
maybe Steve just gave him the same old APE chips.... who knows....s

and for the record,
Danno got me chips two days after I ordered them, just so I could get my track time.
AFR was near perfect. no idle issues. and he had to guess based on what I told him about my mods, including a totally unique T3 .42 A/R turbo I had on at the time.
Old 06-15-2004 | 02:08 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thats funny, all the V9 and V10 ICs I installed have worked. I did shoot myself in the foot by trying 52lb injectors with the 55lb selection on the chips. I got Danno to gin a special chip that solved the problem.

If you give Danno the correct information on the car, he has delivered the right stuff...my experience.

Quick Reply: Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce