Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 06:09 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally posted by eclou
After talking with both drivers in the garages they expressed relief to hear that may car was putting down over 300 rwhp, and that their motors were probably ok.
Very nice.

Blueman,
I have searched several times while looking into which chips to choose. Up until recently, there has been very little negative comentary regarding Dan's chips. Most of the complaints revolved around shipping and unreliable contact information.

I don't doubt that there are issues. It just seems most complaints about the chips themselves have surfaced in the last couple of months.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:27 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you call yourself a tuner you should have a shop with a sign.be open during regular business hours and have somebody answer the phone consistently , and last but not least properly licensed/insured.
A person who calls himself a "tuner" and does not fit the above criteria and works out of his garage or bedroom is simply a part timer, hobbist or dare to say opportunist to make a buck and it comes to no surprise that in that environment lack of professionalism is the norm not the exception.

On another topic, taking parts off a motor or completely dissemble it ,is pretty easy, even putting it back together is not so difficult if you have all the time in the world and are not getting paid for it
But to properly diagnose a problem and making it go away for good ( in a short period of time)requires a far higher skill level.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:28 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I run guru chip purchased from travis. They are programed for a stock car/ turbo. I didn't even switch to the 55 lb injector setting. I like them because the timing values are excellent for running higher boost. Similar to cup car chips. I adjust my a/f with the arc 2 and fuel pressure. If your into custom chips for a particular setup. There is no way in the world to do it without dynoing the car with every change to see the results and make corrections as needed. This can't be done over a key board. The tuner must have the car in his possession and repeatedly run it on the dyno to dial it in. That's were the piggy back was born. If you are purchasing custom chips from Danno chances are you will need many reburns to get it right. With limited feed back from the end user this is impossible. Danno should never offer this to his customers if he still wants to keep them as custumers.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:49 AM
turbo951fan
Racer

Coming to Danno's defense here, I would really like to know how other tuners would handle request for 10 plus custom burned chips/ week. He is not even charging for reburning and does the best he can. Maybe it's some of his customers who don't know how to handle the products. I am not aware that vitesse or Travis are having a shop with a sign. How can you survive in a business where customers just don't have the money for modifications because they spend everything on maintenance and repairs.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:05 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am having the same issues, but when I talked to Danno about it he said it was due to my idle stabilizer. I have a new one, but haven't installed it yet. When I put the wb02 on it showed the fuel being way off, so now I'm thinking it's the chips again.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Jimbo, yes you're right it's not really possible to get a chip 100% suitable for each and every configuration without lots of reburn. But it sounds like you think a chip adapted for a stock car is better to use than a somewhat customed one!

I for one would like to use as little signal modification as possible. I feel that getting the chips as close to correct A/F ratios etc. as possible is important.

Also, the problem has never been that the chips have bad maps. So what you're talking about isn't the problem.
But obviously quite a few of the chips from Guru have some sort of serious problem, but that problem isn't within the maps.

I'm very afraid that I it will take almost all summer to get new working chips.. and without the right chips I'm pretty much stuck with just cruising. That hurts when you only have a few months available to drive your p-car a year
Old 06-14-2004, 12:20 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

What does Vitesse charge for custom chips???
Old 06-14-2004, 01:34 PM
2+2
Pro

Jimbo, you are right...that is why Steve Russokov (Sp? Remember him?) refuses to make custom chips for anything but a mildly modified car. Throw in the variability of different types of mods on a substantially stock car....things can get confusing

Todd, vitesse's web site says $495 for chips and I dont think that includes anything else. Pricier than Guru...
Old 06-14-2004, 01:45 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Anyone heard from Steve R lately?? He had some good chips
Old 06-14-2004, 02:08 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

I have a NEW set of Steve R. chips for sale. They are for the 86 to 88 cars and include both the DME and KLR chip. $250 inc. shipping takes them. Paypal is fine.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:18 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by toddk911
Anyone heard from Steve R lately?? He had some good chips
I had them. They were embarassing. <10 AFR from 3,5K to 5k. And you can see it on my cylinder walls.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:28 PM
2+2
Pro

Turbite, so you ran extremely rich with Steve R? Are you saying that the richness washed your walls and ended up with scoring? There was another thread that asserted "washing of cylinder walls" by a rich mixture never happens....

As to your chips, I wonder what happened? What are you running now?
Old 06-14-2004, 02:44 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by turbo951fan
I have a NEW set of Steve R. chips for sale. They are for the 86 to 88 cars and include both the DME and KLR chip. $250 inc. shipping takes them. Paypal is fine.
careful. The chips are different from 86 to 88 so yours won't work on even the early 88 cars.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:46 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

Originally posted by por951turbo
careful. The chips are different from 86 to 88 so yours won't work on even the early 88 cars.

I am not stupid. The ones I am offering are for a 1986-1988. They are NOT for a 1988S or 1989.

Also in regards to A/F ratio. They come with a reducer for the banjo bolt, so if you installed them without the reducer of course YOU WILL run rich. And of course no performance upgrade at all. Your richness from 3,5 K to 5K confirms this.

This is bringing me back to my initial defense for Danno, meaning many people buying tuning upgrades don't know what they are doing.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:53 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by turbo951fan
I am not stupid. The ones I am offering are for a 1986-1988. They are NOT for a 1988S or 1989.
Check again because the chips for a 88 non s turbo are different then the chips for the 86 and 87 cars. Don't ask how I know.

Quick Reply: Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce