Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 05:38 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by beab951
Thats funny, all the V9 and V10 ICs I installed have worked. I did shoot myself in the foot by trying 52lb injectors with the 55lb selection on the chips. I got Danno to gin a special chip that solved the problem.

If you give Danno the correct information on the car, he has delivered the right stuff...my experience.
It seems that when Danno deliveres he delivers the right stuff. It's just that X amount of the chips are malfunctioning.

I did back to back testing with different injectors, different FQS-settings etc. And when you got a few gauges it's pretty easy to determine the fault.

So please don't disregard this thread as end user incompetence.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:27 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Eyal 951
I love the race threat, cute. Want to try me in a 165 HP impreza? Buttonwillow? You would be surprised at how a car with half the HP can stay there in your mirror, and if you **** up, I'll pass you. You'll have to pay though
Wow, one event and already you are a big shot track star.

This isn't the first time you spouted off about how great Danno is. Remember the superjet.1 threads? He has done some great stuff in the past, he has also had some road bumps. Personally, I think Danno is the only one who should talk about Danno's business. I really hope this thread gets locked soon....
Old 06-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Eyal 951
Want to try me in a 165 HP impreza? Buttonwillow? You would be surprised at how a car with half the HP can stay there in your mirror, and if you **** up, I'll pass you. You'll have to pay though ~Eyal
Absolutely. You've done one (maybe two) DE's and you're Andretti. I love it. I'll bet I can spin in every other corner and you still wouldn't pass me. I have to chuckle because your mouth is writing checks that your *** can't cash. When we head out this year, I'll be sure to look you up but your not old enough to buy me a beer so I'll have a coke instead hot rod.

As far as this thread goes, I'm tired of people thinking Guru is the only viable option. This has nothing to do with user error. If you're screwing up a chip job you should step away from the tool box. The guru's I had did not work right in TWO bone stock application. Replacing the chips solved the problems.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:05 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Why should this tread get locked?

People are talking about dannos chips, and the problems they are having with them. Gives people the insite to what they are getting into when purchaseing chips from danno.

Other guys got a great set of chips from danno.

Thats what the Rennlist is all about exchanging information good or bad.
I don't think the rennlist was set up for Vendors.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:16 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wish Danno would comment on this......
Old 06-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

gentlemen,

A question was presented.....Problems with Guru Chips "NEED ADVISE".

Nowhere in dans question did I read "should I buy guru chip or not" or "what is your opinion of Guru chips"

I just went back and read through 5 pages and my post was the only one that attempted to answer the question from a trouble shooting standpoint. ALL (go back and read) ALL other posts did not make a single constructive effort to respond to the question. Just bandwagen bandwidth.

don't get me wrong, I have warned people of shoddy work on this board, but only after proper troubleshooting and confirming the cause of the issue. As for the purpose of this board, I would prefer to think it is to HELP (ie: repairs, cost savings, get togethers, knowledge sharing, etc). Not dead horse pile-ons.

Now Dan,

Did you ask this question for trouble shooting assistance, or do you just want a refund? If it is for troubleshooting, lets help the guy. If its for a refund, just ask Danno for one. He is a straight up guy.

As far as troubleshooting, you have in your description 2 - 951's. Both appear to have modifications with the intent to increase boost. Both do not indicate that you got larger injectors. How are you increasing fuel to match boost. Increased injector dwell (chips)? Increased injector dwell (massaged signal, ARC2)? Increased fuel (adj fuel pressure regulator)? All the above?

Injector dwell time will only get you so far, then the injectors will just stay open and your fuel will max out. If you increase the fuel pressure, you can dump a lot of fuel and get a very rich mixture. If your original chips had conservative dwell times, did you increase fuel pressure to compensate. Then was this still not enough fuel, so you went to Guru Chips? The Guru Chips I assume would increase injector dwell, so did you decrease fuel pressure? If not, you now could (and appears to) have more fuel than the O2 or the ARC2 can compensate for. Even if you did not increase fuel pressure (unlikely as your info says you have an AFPR) with the new chips you could have too much fuel pressure for the signal massagers to compensate. Again, I go back to my response, what is your fuel pressure?

Last edited by Bill; 06-15-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:41 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I wonder how many people have installed their chips backwards.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Hey guys, give Eyal 951 a break, afterall he races and hunts deer on the world famous stunt road and we all know that is THE breeding ground for future F1 champions.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:59 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally posted by 1988952
Hey guys, give Eyal 951 a break, afterall he races and hunts deer on the world famous stunt road and we all know that is THE breeding ground for future F1 champions.

seriously though, this thread has gone waaaaayyy off topic
Old 06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by eclou
I wonder how many people have installed their chips backwards.
that's a good point, after working in the computer industry since the late 80's i'm not real good with these chip thinga-majigs. good thing weltemeister, autothority and vitesse decided to make their chips idiot proof so they always worked when i installed them
Old 06-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by 1988952
I dont race, and i didnt hit the deer. I wasnt there when the deer was hit.
jeremy,
I like the cash checks line, classic.
When do you plan on coming out here, if its after jan, I'll buy you that beer. by the way, for ****s, how old are you? Otherwise, I'm really done, and I'll express my apologies to those that tried to actually contribute to this thread.
~Eyal
Old 06-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I wish Danno would comment on this......"

Ok, before things get too out of hand and someone loses an eye, I'll comment on this thread.

Yes, I admit I made some procedural errors that lead to these three guys complaining (one of them every single chance he gets). Just did a quick check of my database and over the past two years that GURU has been in operation, we've sold over 231 chip-upgrade kits. Out of these, just over 150 were bone-stock 951 15psi upgrades. The others were "custom" chips for non-stock configurations such as 3rd-party MAF, larger turbos, non-GURU injectors or higher boost. Over the past 3 months, I've sent out over 100 18psi chip-updated to registered users. All the 18psi chips are customized for the user's particular configuration as the variations between cars increases with the extra boost and flow. Most of these have been at no charge.

During the past two years, I've had several cars that I could not dial in with various fine-tuning modified chips. As a result, I've refunded two chip-kits during that time. Two other users eventually found their problem and kept their GURU chips. Matt Sheppard is one of them and I'd like to get his comments on the cause of his particular problem (or you can do a search).

So, with the feedback I've received, I have modified GURU operating procedures to deal with instances where the Chip-upgrade doesn't work for a user. Rather than making it an personal issue of pride and trying to push through the problem with more and more revisions in order to make it work, I'm just going to give just one fine-tune attempt on the custom-chips. Then if it doesn't work, I'll just refund the money and get all the chips back. Would save me and others a lot of time and frustration. I've contacted the 3 buyers who've been complaining out the GURU chips here and have offered them a refund on their purchase.

This will also cut down on missing inventory as well since some of these people have received over 4 updated chips from me and have not returned a single one. Instead they have sold them 2nd-hand to other unsuspecting buyers. Even those who've received their GURU chips for free (as part of my continued support for people who buy the MAP-kits 2nd-hand) have sold off the GURU chips in anticipation of receiving an updated version. This causes some ethical and quality-control concerns for me.

If you are a 2nd-party buyer of a GURU chip that doesn't come as a complete kit with the following:

- Bosch 3-bar FPR
- BoostSciences ReliaBoost-1 (GURU version is different than retail)
- stainless wastegate shims
- optimized GURU chipset (KLR & DME)

... please contact me at <danno@thevine.net> and send me a detailed configuration list of your car. I will provide you with all the missing components free of charge. You'll just need to fill out and notarize an affidavit and that'll be it.

Thank you everyone for your continued support, I'm continually evolving GURU to better serve you .
Old 06-15-2004, 09:34 PM
2+2
Pro

I personally don't understand why/how you can send out free upgrades unless there was a specific problem with a particular car. How can you possibly stay in business (although I am sure that this is not your primary source of income)? That's like buying Windows 98 and getting upgraded to XP for free! Despite some bad press, I think Guru Racing is still a very valuable resource and hope you will continue to make your contributions to the board......
Old 06-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by 2+2
Despite some bad press, I think Guru Racing is still a very valuable resource and hope you will continue to make your contributions to the board......
Couldn't agree more! Danno has helped out many people on this board including me. His chips just didn't work like Danno and I had hoped for, it happens, but he was kind enough to offer a refund which I accepted. I'm sure this isn't the last time I do business with Guru. Oh and Danno both sets of chips will be going back to you that I received. Should be there by Friday or Monday at the latest.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Bravo Danno!

Quick Reply: Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce