Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 01:26 AM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not been thrilled with my chips either but after 2 sets and a few months, ( Danno may be slow but he did deliver) I gave up. I'd almost be willing to try another tuner's chips but am afraid I might be worse off......and out more $$$
Old 06-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bones,

I felt the same way you did. Then I tried "another" vendor and all the problems went away. Put the Guru's up for sale, there's so my hype over them and since they never ship on time you can probably make a few bucks more then what you paid for them.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:41 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I can't help but to wonder how last week Danno was the man. Now, he can't get **** right.....where was the turn?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:57 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by Jeremy Himsel
Bones,

I felt the same way you did. Then I tried "another" vendor and all the problems went away. Put the Guru's up for sale, there's so my hype over them and since they never ship on time you can probably make a few bucks more then what you paid for them.
What did the Vitesse's chips run you?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:58 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Listed on his wbsite.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:02 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the exact same problems with my Guru chips.
When you got a WBo2 it's quite obvious that the fuel is the problem.

Unfortunatly I've sold my old chips already so I'm running stock right now with my K27/8 etc. etc.

I really hope new chips show up in not too long..
Old 06-13-2004, 07:47 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

You know what I find interesting is that for quite sometime all you heard is how great Guru chips are. Whenever someone asked about chips, it was Guru all the way. Now dissatisfied customers are coming out of the woodwork. So which is it guys? All I can say is that I'm glad I waited.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

You know what I find interesting is that for quite sometime all you heard is how great Guru chips are. Whenever someone asked about chips, it was Guru all the way. Now dissatisfied customers are coming out of the woodwork. So which is it guys?
I would think it's pretty damn hard to make a "generic" chip that performs flawlessly for everyone. I know that there are many people who are very satisfied with Guru chips, and their cars perform well, but every car, even with the same set up will perform a little differently, and I don't blame Danno for that. In time I would bet he could come up with a chip for me too, but I am not willing to endure the wait.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Could it be that Danno has so many variations of the chips for different setups, and the fact that there is no ID tag system in place to tell the difference between them, that the wrong chips were sent??

It's going to be a nightmare when these chips start to circulate on the used market and nobody can tell which chips are for what setup.

I have had a couple of versions of his chips with no problems.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:10 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

There are really multiple products being discussed here. The standard set up for stock cars is well dialed in and generally what people rave about. This is the original package that includes a reliaboost, 3-bar FPR, and wastegate shims for something like $290. It generally runs better than the traditional set ups meant to tweek stock cars (e.g., APE, Weltmeister, etc. with a higher boost banjo bolt).

There are additional chips (and Danno will make you custom chips) for various mods (MAF, MAP, etc.). This is where the variability comes in...

Last edited by KLR; 06-14-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:59 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Same old story people are a sleep at the switch.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:30 PM
2+2
Pro

I have read these chip related post with great interest because I have my fingers on the trigger to buy some. IMO, KLR is right. Near stock turbo reviews of GURU products are generally glowing, and if there is a problem, it appears to be a problem with the car such as vacuum leak, or extremely weak wastegate. However, most of the negative reviews appear to stem from upgraded turbo/maf and other significantly upgraded cars.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Steckfu, may i suggest you search old threads. To say Danno is 'in' one minute and 'out' the next is incorrect. There are many posts, look them up.

My experience.
I ordered guru chips, shims, FPR. Got no shims, asked repeatedly gave up. I changed my APE chips for Guru. the guru's stumbled, couldn't idle correctly, and chugged on throttle. Danno wrote me saying that a client had tested the chip verision (9 i believe) and found it to be exceedingly lean. Several months later he replaced the bad chips with the 18 psi chips, which work better, but still have a stumble when accelerating.

i am hesitant when i read how great something is now. my ape chips were fine, but i changed them because i was looking for something more.

my LBE was fine, but i changed it looking for something more and had to take the new MBC off because it wouldn't hold boost, and put the LBE back on, a waste of $60 and time.

I may try Vitesse chips. I was interested in the kit but can't ascertain what it will do to the spool up of my car, so don't think i'll chance it.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Blueman33
I ordered guru chips, shims, FPR. Got no shims, asked repeatedly gave up. I changed my APE chips for Guru. the guru's stumbled, couldn't idle correctly, and chugged on throttle. Danno wrote me saying that a client had tested the chip verision (9 i believe) and found it to be exceedingly lean. Several months later he replaced the bad chips with the 18 psi chips, which work better, but still have a stumble when accelerating.
That was the same problem I had. My first set of chips ran lean in the midrange, the second had bad popping on deceleration and off throttle transitions, the third set had a really bad hesitation in the 3K range on accelration. Getting rid of the guru chips solved my problems so it wasn't vacuum or boost related. My car was stock, no MAF, stock injectors, stock turbo.

I had several other 951 owners drive my car and couldn't notice what was going on which leads me to believe many people don't know what their car should run like. The biggest problem I had was being lied to about shipping dates, being non-responsive to e-mails, and while I'm sitting by the front door waiting for my stuff to show up.......He's posting in OT about silly bull****. I then decided to cut my losses and sell the latest upgrade he sent me and he had the ***** to tell the guy that I sold them to that I had
NO right selling the chips and they were custom made for the mods on my (stock) car. Who the hell is he to say I can resell his products?

I've been saying this stuff for a long time now, I'm just glad that some other guys stepped up and had the ***** to say the same thing. Maybe someone down the road won't be duped into buying his stuff. If he uses Rennlist as his primary marketing tool, I think it's perfectly fine to have these types of discussions on the list. Remember, Rennlist is here for the users, not the vendors.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:52 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Well,

on the plus side of things I just returned from a gloriful day at Texas World Speedway. Ran the 2.9 clockwise and was able to shock quite a few people. Depsite 90+ deg weather the car with a K27/6 and Guru chips is running so hard at 18psi that I was able to fight past a Z06 running WOT down the straight, and put major distance on an S54 MCoupe. After talking with both drivers in the garages they expressed relief to hear that may car was putting down over 300 rwhp, and that their motors were probably ok.

Quick Reply: Problems with Guru Chips need Adivce