Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My 2.8L big bore update

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:55 AM
gmonsen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a bit reluctant to go off Porsche and didn't raise this topic, but am happy to respond. The 20b 3 rotor is a nominal 2.0L motor by displacement, but due to the power cycle, it is comparable to a 4.0L. They cannot be bored out at all, however. The rotors and rotor housings only come as they are. However, that said, there are also 4 rotors and even some 6 rotors out there.

Today, there are probably as many as 150 3 rotor Rx7's running around and many shops that are familiar with them. Turbocharged 3 rotors put out as much as 1000 rwhp, but that would be as stressed out as a 600 rwhp 2 rotor. A 4 rotor could reliably make 1000 rwhp, but they get expensive. You can buy a clean fresh 3 rotor for about $4000 without the turbo. There are manifolds readily available for them. $10,000 should get you a 650 hp motor with everything you need to install it into something. It will weigh about 375 lbs and is heavier than, say, a chevy small block in aluminum. However, the 3 rotor is small and will fit into almost anything.

If anyone wants to discuss further, we could do it off line or I would point people to the rx7 forum and the 20b section.

Gordon
Old 04-30-2004, 05:07 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

hehe I don't drive on the highway too much. When I do, the theory doesn't apply . I almost lost my license 10 years ago because I was a jackass on the highways. God knows how many small town budgets I've contributed to!

It really only works in the city. At places where there are speed traps, I just pay attention to traffic ahead for a wall of brake lights. Even if the people aren't speeding, they're slamming on the brakes when they see a cop, natural reaction.

There were a few close calls over the years. One time, I passed a cop that was sandwitched between 2 semis and I didn't see it. I continued until I lost sight of the cop, turned off, u-turned back on the road, and was left unharmed. Another time, merging onto a 3 lane road, I didn't see a cop before the merge lane, but I did see him catching up really quick. I braked hard to slow me down before he clocked me at speed limit . Just a warning wave as he passed me hehe.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Danno, it's the Uniden Bearcat, the 7 and 12 both do that."
"How is that usefull, can it tell direction?"

I'm thinking for highway use only. Out here in the wild-west, we have highways that go for over 10-15 miles in a straight line and disappear over the horizon ahead, so it's kinda boring to cruise along at a measly 80-85mph; 130-150 would be a lot more fun. If I can detect a cop 2 miles away, that'd give me about a minute to slow down before he was in radar range. They pretty much use instant-on radar, so a radar-detector is of no use. But a cop-detector would be really helpful. But when radar is being used, I don't think anything can beat a Valentine one.

"The car he's referring to is a white 2nd gen friends that we put a 20b (3 rotor) in along with some other stuff. My car, which has been in a number of magazines (see April 03 Sport Compact), is one of the most well known 3rd gens around."

There was a guy from Puerto Rico that supposed had a 750rwhp 3-rotor 20B in a 2nd gen RX-7 that was coming to the OTC in '02. Never showed up though...
Old 04-30-2004, 10:56 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Danno: the Puerto Rican tuner community is pretty extreme. There are some incredible rotary powered cars down there. I think they have at least one 1000 hp 3 rotor running. What I want to see is a 1000 hp car from Puerto Rico that runs the quarter and then participates in a "hop-off" and boogies on back down the quarter...

Gordon
Old 05-01-2004, 03:30 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by rage2
hehe I don't drive on the highway too much. When I do, the theory doesn't apply . I almost lost my license 10 years ago because I was a jackass on the highways. God knows how many small town budgets I've contributed to!

It really only works in the city. At places where there are speed traps, I just pay attention to traffic ahead for a wall of brake lights. Even if the people aren't speeding, they're slamming on the brakes when they see a cop, natural reaction.

There were a few close calls over the years. One time, I passed a cop that was sandwitched between 2 semis and I didn't see it. I continued until I lost sight of the cop, turned off, u-turned back on the road, and was left unharmed. Another time, merging onto a 3 lane road, I didn't see a cop before the merge lane, but I did see him catching up really quick. I braked hard to slow me down before he clocked me at speed limit . Just a warning wave as he passed me hehe.
Rage: I was told that you were charged with street racing not that long ago and as a result of a settlement you had to put up a "Say No to Street Racing" announcement on your website. Is this true? I'm not trying to be an *** - just wanted to get the facts in the matter (if there was one).

I was given an expensive lesson on Sept 1 about 7 years ago. I got a ticket for doing 52 km over the limit which is an automatic court appearance and if found guilty an 1 month suspension of my licence. I fought it and got it reduced to 49 km over the limit, no suspension and 4 demerits plus a fine. When it was all done it cost me over $1000. I definately drive differently today. Back then I had a radar detector and drove like a mad man all the time thinking I was safe. Now I don't use a radar detector and only speed in short bursts when the road is clear.

When do you think you will have your car to a dyno to see what it can do?

Last edited by SoloRacer; 05-01-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gordon, sorry to get this off topic, should have handled it differently. I could have sworn you were the owner of the RXX-7. My apologies.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:03 PM
z3bra
Racer

I'm thinking for highway use only. Out here in the wild-west, we have highways that go for over 10-15 miles in a straight line and disappear over the horizon ahead, so it's kinda boring to cruise along at a measly 80-85mph; 130-150 would be a lot more fun. If I can detect a cop 2 miles away, that'd give me about a minute to slow down before he was in radar range. They pretty much use instant-on radar, so a radar-detector is of no use. But a cop-detector would be really helpful. But when radar is being used, I don't think anything can beat a Valentine one.
What I'd love one of you EE types to create and distribute the plans and maybe some PCB layouts to etch for a nice omnidirectional radar jammer and not that passive crap that doesn't work. I say distribute it as plans so as to avoid any legal entanglements. Perhaps tie it in to a radar detection device and as soon as it even thinks it's picking something up just flood so much noise that the police officer's radar gun can't possibly distinguish it's signal over all the background noise.

Yeah I know technically that's illegal and actually transmitting on frequencies reserved for police use could get you in big trouble if caught, but it's not like the FCC is going to be right there when you drive by to triangulate it to your car and get you. I had a former roommate of mine that was into amateur radios big time and he hacked his little Yaesu radio to transmit on police frequencies and he did just that many times and all they'd do was have the officers do a roll call to make sure there wasn't an officer down and his radio stolen. Not very nice and frankly I think that's far worse than jamming a radar revenue generator er radar gun.

You wouldn't be able to use the jammer if you were all by yourself as that would make it pretty obvious who the person doing it was but in city traffic it's a wonderful idea. (also good for municipalities that have hopped on the greedy bandwagon with photo radar)

Haven't really looked into it but if radar guns use PCM or anything then it might not work but if anybody knows more feel free to speak up. RF stuff isn't even close to my area of expertise.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:30 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SoloRacer
Rage: I was told that you were charged with street racing not that long ago and as a result of a settlement you had to put up a "Say No to Street Racing" announcement on your website. Is this true? I'm not trying to be an *** - just wanted to get the facts in the matter (if there was one).

I was given an expensive lesson on Sept 1 about 7 years ago. I got a ticket for doing 52 km over the limit which is an automatic court appearance and if found guilty an 1 month suspension of my licence. I fought it and got it reduced to 49 km over the limit, no suspension and 4 demerits plus a fine. When it was all done it cost me over $1000. I definately drive differently today. Back then I had a radar detector and drove like a mad man all the time thinking I was safe. Now I don't use a radar detector and only speed in short bursts when the road is clear.
Gotta love the rumors... creative!

Definately not true. I used to street race in the early 90's, but never got caught. I haven't street raced in over 10 years, I just do drive fairly fast on the street, mainly to get ahead and not get stone chips. You know Calgary, follow anyone and you're gonna lose your windshield with the stupid amounts of rocks on the street. Apparantly, Calgary is the world leader in stone chip damage. That's my excuse anyways hehe.

Anyways, I don't cut through traffic like a maniac, but when there's an opening, I'm taking it. I never take it 40km/h over the limit because of the court appearance (I've had expensive lessons years ago too hehe). Over the last 10 years, I've been dinged twice, but they're not on record because of our great traffic court... pay the fine and no record. All they want is the money anyways hehe.

As for the "say no to street racing" campaign on my website, the point of it was to stop the organized street racing that happens on Fri-Sun night near the road king. We actually work with several police officers on the forums to track down stolen goods being sold in our very busy marketplace. According to the officers, they were told to go after people with exhaust mods (enlarged tip tickets), lowered suspension etc. to attempt to curb mods/street racing, as they feel it goes together. Of course, it sucks for the few of us that mod our cars strictly for track use. The campaign worked fairly well last year, I got a lot of street racers into Solo2 and our track days, taking a few cars off of the street racing scene.

Unfortunately this year and near the end of last year, it seems that both the insurance companies as well as Race City doesn't want to allow some of the street racing converts at the track. My AMG policy got terminated once they found out I tracked the car, and Race City turns away people that have cars owned by their parents (marjority of street racers). I even got told by one of the insurance companies that if I street raced, I would be covered, but if I went on the track, and when I drove back onto the streets and into an accident, I won't be covered because of non disclosure of track use. Go figure.

Phew... what a rant .

Originally posted by SoloRacer
When do you think you will have your car to a dyno to see what it can do?
We just finished off the new hardpipes today, missing a fitting but should be taken care of soon. There's an exhaust leak which will be taken care of once we get the new cam cover on and retorque the head. I wanna put a few more miles on there before dynoing at high high boost...

Dyno sheets will be posted as soon as I get on, dont' worry hehe.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:38 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Oh, forgot to post an update on the oil situtation...

So, I checked the oil, it's still very clean, same level, looks like new. That's a good sign.

I took off the pipe between the air filter and the compressor inlet (where postive crankcase pressure vents I believe) and there's a very very light trace of clean oil. Is this normal? A little bit concerned about this...

I took the pipe off between the compressor outlet and the intercooler inlet, and it's completely clean. All good.

Finally, the pipe between the intercooler outlet and the intake manifold is drenched in dark dirty oil. I guess it's time to flush that intercooler... must be accumulating from before the 2.8L swap.

Planning on 15psi in the next few days. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:03 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Heh, you have 951 posts

Quick Reply: My 2.8L big bore update