Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Got a baseline dyno run today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:28 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got a baseline dyno run today...

The only Dyno in 100 miles of here is five mintues down the road from me. I went by to check prices and the next thing ya know we are strapping down the 951...

Well with the only mods being a K-27 and an Autothority mass airflow with it's accosiated chips and Banjo bolt, the max HP was 225 and max torque was 236. Airfuel ratio showed it is running SUPER rich like less that 10 to 1 at 4500 RPMs so at least I know it's not going to run lean and blow anything up. Time to look at a wide band O2 sensor and a good boost gauge and start from there. Any recomendations?

IPSC
Old 05-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is REALLY low for that setup and way too rich. There is a problem of some sort. That kit (the APE MAF with K27) is designed to produce 280+.

What sort of dyno was it and do you have a graph?

The only way that could be close to right is if you are using a Mustang (chassis) dyno.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:47 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Running the car that rich is bad too...you could wash down your cylinder walls with fuel and allow the rings to scratch up the cylinder walls.

How much boost was it running?

I agree with Matt, those numbers are quite low.

As for wideband check out the group buy on the Zeitronix (sp?) and for boost, autometer and VDO are 2 brands you cant go wrong with. You can mount the boost gauge under the radio (not sure where to source the metal plate you need), or on the A-pillar (http://www.gaugepods.com).
Old 05-03-2004, 09:49 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running that rich can be bad for your cylinder walls. All of the extra gas washes the oil off and the rings can scratch the cylinder walls.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:59 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Yes I agree there is something is not right. Just have to figure out what. How much boost is a good question as all I have is the stock boost gauge in the dash. It shows almost 1.8 bar at WOT so that can't be right. The dyno is a dynojet. As for too rich, failing FPR? I have a Huntley racing FPR that was never insalled and a VDO fuel pressure gauge. That might be a start on things to find out what is going on.

IPSC
Old 05-03-2004, 10:03 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your chips are junk, thats why you are running rich, I suspect.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:06 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

They are the Autothority chips that came with the upgrade I have been trying to get up with Danno to "figger" out a plan of attack for this beast.

IPSC
Old 05-03-2004, 10:09 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Ahhhh Danno will pop them in the classifieds I would think. I imagine your next dyno run with a little boost and your chips sorted (new guru ones) will find you an extra 50hp easy.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

IPSC, 1.8 bar on the gauge is actually about .8 bar boost, which is just about stock! Thats why you're running so rich.

Get an MBC and boost gauge and turn it up to 15psi....

How were your a/f ratio's other than at 4000rpm?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:11 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Yeah get the cat out of the way too...

Ok the AFs went like this

14.7 to 1 till about 2000RPMs then dropped off to 12 to 1 by 3000 RPMS and then a steady decline to less than 10 to 1 by 4700RPMs and then they came back up at 5200 RPMs to around 11 to 1. We never pushed it passed 6200 and by then things were starting to dropp off anyway. I would have thought that a K27 and chips would be up around at leat the 275 mark.

IPSC
Old 05-03-2004, 10:20 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The chips you have are designed to run 1bar boost, so if running 0.8bar you will run rich. What fuel pressure are you running? From what I recall the chipd you have require a 3bar fuel pressure, especially if used with stock injectors... If you have larger than stock injectors, the car will run rich as well....
There are different ways to fix the problem... First fix/correct all mechanical problems (boost, FPR,..).. You can either upgrade your chips to something proven, you will need the MAF chips (not massaged AFM chips). Or you can add a PiggyBack and tune your car to be a 100% match... And will allow you to retune when there is a need (future upgrades?).
If you do get a chip (mine or someone else's), it will never match your car 100%.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:28 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Shouldnt the Autothority kit come with a boost controller? I think Autothority have had their day in the tuning world, in part...
Old 05-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your chips are junk, thats why you are running rich, I suspect.

This is one of the great all-time urban legends. He is doing EXACTLY what he should be with them. The APE chips are great if used EXACTLY as described.

Shouldnt the Autothority kit come with a boost controller?
They do it is a jetted banjo bolt. The reason people **** and moan about the APE chips is because they go and add an aftermarket boost controller turn it up to 15 psi, lean out and blow the HG.

One more time, the APE kit is PERFECT for someone looking for zero adjustability, it works pretty much spot on right out of the box.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:05 PM
NZ951
Race Director

If he is doing exactly what he should be, then why is he running so rich and have such a poor power result?

Lets say the system works perfectly, there is still a failure for that so many have blown there engines up. If it happens so much, and many people complain of it, then there is some kind of communication failure that many people experience these disaters. The responsibility of this must in part rest with APE. I say this as with no other chips set do you find this kind of trouble, how can that be? Are the customers that use Guru chips more knowledgable than APE ones, and does this explain the difference in performance experienced and A/F failures? Just interesting to note...
Old 05-03-2004, 11:35 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Indeed if you are only running .8bar of boost this is why you are running so rich. BTW it has been said running that rich is actually very bad for you engine. Buy a 50 doller MBC and turn up the boost man for gods sake man! I would run a bar of boost, buy a working aftermarket boost gauge, hookup a wideband and go to tunning. You will not like to hear this but, most chipped turbo's are running your hp #'s. Get everything sorted out and I am sure your car will not only be healthier but, also run much faster.

Quick Reply: Got a baseline dyno run today...