Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My 2.8L big bore update

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:01 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vacuum looks really good. Haven't done a leakdown test yet, gonna wait a few more miles to make sure everything is seated nice.

The oil is so clean, man what a change. I can barely read the oil level because the oil looks new. Back then, my oil would be dark black 500 miles after an oil change.

Tuning was so easy. I have a flat AFR of 13.0 at 0psi of boost (ran without charge piping). Since SDS works on a boost enrichment map, I didn't have to tune at all... the boost map was the same as last year. 12.5 AFR at 8psi of boost flat.

Idle is nice, it's running just like last year. My part throttle was perfect as well with closed loop off.

Things are looking good so far. This weekend, head gets retorqued. Next week, I'll start turning up the boost. I'm hoping to see full boost on pump gas at around 3400rpm. That would make street drivability 10000x better.

David, what were some of the symptoms you had with your 2.8L? I'll keep a close eye for those symptoms to make sure I'm in good shape.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:34 AM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

well some of the symptoms I had were, blowing oil pan gasket and other oil leaks due to blowby and ticking/slaping sound (incorrect rings?).
Glad to hear things are going well for you. I can't wait till I have the money to get mine running.
Keep the updates coming!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:17 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Any blue smoke out the exhaust? Right now there's pretty much no smoke at all unless I'm stopped, rev the car to 3000rpm in neutral, then let off... at which point a very small puff of oil smoke comes out. No smoke at idle, no smoke at wot under boost. It's slowly going away (it was a bit more smoke when the engine was first done), so I'm guessing it's rings almost seated completely. I hope anyways .

I also keep checking my oil, and it's still as clean as new. The vent for the positive crankcase pressure is completely clean, so no signs of blowby.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:28 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by rage2

David, what were some of the symptoms you had with your 2.8L? I'll keep a close eye for those symptoms to make sure I'm in good shape.
My problem with 11% leakdown across all 4 cylinders was oil (and a lot of it) being blown out the oil/air seperator into the intake system, killed a brand new turbo before I knew what the problem was !!

I installed a Lindsey catchcan, the car will fill the can with oil and blow it out the filter on top of the can in a matter 15 seconds on boost. The car will cruise around town with no problem, I just drain the can weekly

I now have new rings ready to install, just have to clear a couple of weekends for the rebuild and maybe just maybe, the beast will be track ready

eurospeed951, I will get in touch with you with results, and hopefully cure our problems.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:36 AM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Thanks David. Just send me and email or PM whenever you get a chance. I'm still finishing up classes, but hop to get started on it some time soon.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:06 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

David, one more question, how much boost were you running to shoot out that much oil?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:09 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

David, one more question, how much boost were you running to shoot out that much oil?
14 psi
Old 04-29-2004, 12:22 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

I was also leaking from the oil/air seperator and never ran more than 10-13psi
Old 04-29-2004, 12:31 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I'm at 7-8psi right now, I'll slowly turn up the boost and see what happens.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Rage2: Have you thought about adding an Aquamist (www.aquamist.co.uk) water injection system? I'm sure you're familiar with the basic way it works. It would really coo9l the cylinders a good deal. It would let you run your target boost level on pump much cooler or you could raise your boost a good deal and keep the same temps/reliability.

Gordon
Old 04-29-2004, 01:49 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I actually bought an aquamist from a fellow rennlister. I ended up selling it because I figured I'd run out of water so fast the way I drive. Hopefully I'll be able to make my target power (400whp) on pump gas without the aquamist. If not... time for a full 3" exhaust and a bigger intercooler!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:57 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Rage2: Let's look at that way you'd run it relative to the water issue, since I went through this as well. If it were on all the time, you are right. What you do is to decide what boost level is the threshhold for detonation issues. On my Rx7 I chose 10 psi. Then, once you turn it on you can increase duty cycles as boost increases. Done this way you dramatically reduce water consumption. I never had an isse with it. Every few tanks of gas, I'd fill the water reservoir. I just used a windshield washer fluid reservoir and some even tap into the stock fluid reservoir and have no problems. Also, depending on the EMS you use, you could put a cylinder head temp sensor and use that instead or in addition to the boost-based map. When you installed it, did you do any temp measurements before and after?

Gordon
Old 04-29-2004, 02:11 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

You haven't seen the way I drive .

I'm WOT all the time even on the street. I need that hard push into the seats to remind me where all my money went lol. I also have a theory, and that's if I drive faster than the average cop car, I'll catch up to them instead of them catching up to me, which would explain my clean driving record hehe.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:49 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

You haven't seen the way I drive .

I'm WOT all the time even on the street.
You should see him at the drive-thru! WOT bouncing off the rev-limiter. Parking I'm sure is fun too!
Old 04-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" I also have a theory, and that's if I drive faster than the average cop car, I'll catch up to them instead of them catching up to me, which would explain my clean driving record hehe."

I had a friend that had the same idea in college. He would make the 350-mile drive between Santa Barbara and the S.F. Bay Area in less than 4-hours, figuring the cops would never be able to sneak up behind him. Then one day, he flew by an stealth tan Taurus. He saw the CHP insignia on the driver's door as he flew by it. So he immediately pulled off and got gas and a snack as he waited for the cop to clear out.

About 15-minutes later, he got back on the freeway and did his usual 90mph average. ZOOM... goes flying past the exact same cop AGAIN!!! This time, a black & white CHiPpie was called in to pull him over.

I remember back in the '80s, there was this cop-detector device. It monitors the radio-frequencies used in the portable radio between the cop and his car. Which is then relayed through the car's radio to their station. So apparently this small radio could be detected within about 2-miles. So if it can pick up a cop, he's within 2-miles of you. Anyone familiar with this device? Where can I get one?

Quick Reply: My 2.8L big bore update