Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I hate selling cars (price reduction)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 03:48 PM
kgosselin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate selling cars (price reduction)

Ugh!

In the one week my car has been for sale I have had over 40 phone calls most from knuckle heads and tire kickers across the country. Dozens of emails and just one person serious enough to come look at the car. All responders from this board are great, it's the ones from cars.com and traderonline.

This takes up far too much time and energy. So to speed up the process I am dropping the price $1,000 to $7,300. It's a steal at this price and someone with more time and patience than me could even make a nice profit on it if all they wanted to do was flip-it. PLUS, I just had the belts retensioned and the oil changed yesterday plus a couple of minor annoyances fixed to the tune of $300. Drive it home no worries.

Here is the email I posted last week. If you are SERIOUS call me 720-339-5658.

I am selling my 1987 Turbo with 75,7xx miles( I bought it with 71,xxx miles) on it due to the need for a truck. (PICTURE LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF DESCRIPTION) I am asking what I paid which was $8,300 OBO. I’d put it on the classifieds but I guess that is only for members.

Now for the details which I will try to cover before getting ripped or pummeled by the more intense board members. I’ve lurked on the board regularly over the past two years and have learned much from everyone.

I bought it about a year and a half ago from the second owner in Parker Colorado. After doing a Carfax report I learned the original owner lived in Texas. The carfax also showed that the miles were original. Sorry, I didn’t keep the report but you can do your own carfax if you want to, the VIN can be seen in the pictures.

The car was repainted sometime ago, not be me or the guy I bought it from. Look at the pictures and you can see that it was a quality job. There is no sign of accident damage anywhere! Of course there are stone chips on the nose and door edges. It’s a rare color for whatever that’s worth.

Interior is good. Slight rubbing on driver bolster. Three small cracks less than 1 inch which have not gotten worse since I have owned it. Original radio. LCD clock, sunroof, cruise, power mirrors, power hatch release and factory alarm all work. Cassette lid is not broken.

The guy I bought it from had no records. I know, why’d you buy it? I had a PPI done and everything checked out great. I just knew I would have to have the belts done and I did that 1,300 miles ago.

Other maintenance in my time are new Yokohama AVS Sport tires and 4 wheel alignment - $1,000.
New Sekurit windshield, $1,400.
New Clutch master cylinder with labor, $300
New belts, seals, rollers with labor, $800 (The water pump which I wanted to change was inspected and deemed totally fine by the garage Storz’s, which has an excellent reputation.)
Brake flush and new SS lines, $250.
New rear shocks(boge) and driver side axle assembly, $300 (this was in a hunt for a noise that occurred when going over bumps, it turns out that it was the brake pads which I then replaced but the noise still happens. Storz has checked it out 3 times for this and said it is ok. BRAKES WORK EXCELLENT)
New Hella Headlights $100.
New Porsche Tequipment Blue Floor Mats $135

The car is chipped but I don’t know whose, the banjo bolt was not jetted and the wastegate is not shimmed. I have the original chips. I was going to put them in but the car ran great so why mess with it. The only mod I have installed is the LBE(I guess SS brake lines are also a mod) which I didn’t think did all that much. I painted the wheels Anthracite because the original finish was yellowed and peeling.

Holds boost great(1.8 on stock guage), 5 bar oil pressure, never overheated even in 100 degree traffic. AC is cold. Never tracked by me, I just used it as my fun car. Can't say what other owners did with it.

There is no ABS or limited slip.

Nautic Blue Metallic LY5Z, Linen Interior
Options: Reno Radio, Cruise Control, Factory Alarm, Sunroof, Half Leather Interior, Driver 4-Way Power Seat, Power Mirrors

Any questions please call me at 720-339-5658 or email me at kevin.gosselin@jwt.com

Check out 20 pictures at http://pixagogo.com/7185135332 (these may not be up long, if they are gone go to my ad on traderonline.com

-Kevin
Old 03-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin,

Why must you torture me--why!!

Someone buy this car, so I can quit running scenarios through my head, as to how to buy this one and sell the one I have to re-coup the $$$.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:51 PM
kgosselin
Advanced

Torture is exactly how the selling process of this car feels to me. All my other previous cars have been old and eccentric so the only people who even called were quite interested. This is a whole other story.

Not to mention the daily scam emails I've recieved requesting my bank info so someone can send me money that I will take out the cost of the car and then refund them the rest. Really, who falls for that?
Old 03-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Kevin, you should try ebay. There's an '86 Copenhagen blue 951 with 6 days left on the auction. 12 bids, and it's already up to $8900. It has more miles than yours, and the seller has zero feedback. You're letting yours go too cheap IMO.
Best of luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6434
Old 03-23-2004, 06:20 PM
kgosselin
Advanced

Ebay will be my last resort. It too brings it's fair share of headaches.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:28 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i've sold a few cars on ebay, it can be a major headache, a lot of people bid with no intention of every buying. also from the buyers perspective, sellers will often have 'friends' bid and raise the price, i've busted people doing that before.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:39 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am was trying to sell my 2001 VW GTI, Had the hardest time since I got ZERO calls, End up trading it in. Now I am tring to sell my Jeep Cherokee. Again no calls, but I have not had it for sale for long.

I love to have your problem.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:47 PM
westcoastprshe
Instructor

just curious, did you remove the ABS? you mention it not having ABS, but all '87 cars did, afaik.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:56 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

ABS was an option on '87's, and I think only about 20% (I am quoting someone elses figure,so go easy if I am wrong) of the cars had it. Mine certainly doesn't.

Regards,
Old 03-23-2004, 07:22 PM
kgosselin
Advanced

I did not remove the ABS, it just wasn't ordered with it.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:56 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin, if you give me around a month, I might be able to buy it.

I'm in the process of selling my TII, but its in such great shape now, I don't feel like giving it up. Don't feel bad, I lose around $4k on this deal.

But if you still have it, I'll def contact you first.

Quick Reply: I hate selling cars (price reduction)