Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Power Steering - DIY rebuild or buy rebuilt rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 09:03 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Steering - DIY rebuild or buy rebuilt rack

I have a manual rack on my car and I think I'm going back to power steering (guess I'm just getting old and lazy)

I have an oil leak near my turbo that my local shop will be fixing, so I figured that would be the time to make the swap since you have all the room with turbo removed...however if it can be done without removing turbo, its not as big of a deal. I could just do it whenever.

So questions:

1. Can you get to the upper universal joint without removing turbo? exhaust? Looks like its possible with brake booster heat shield removed?
2. Have you guys had good luck with the rack rebuild kits? My local indy shop said they had mixed luck with the kit (not sure which one he used)...needs some bushings that are not supplied??? I was just going to have him rebuild my power rack, but he was suggesting I just buy a rebuilt rack since with labor it would be cheaper or about the same. Rebuild video looks pretty straight forward, but if the answer to question 1 is no, I don't want to do this job twice.

Any other suggestions are appreciated
Old 05-07-2019, 09:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

One thing to consider is that not all ps racks can be rebuilt, any scoring on the main shaft will quickly tear up new seals. I suspect that is why some fail quickly when using the rebuild kits on the market.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:54 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ekoz
I have a manual rack on my car and I think I'm going back to power steering (guess I'm just getting old and lazy)

I have an oil leak near my turbo that my local shop will be fixing, so I figured that would be the time to make the swap since you have all the room with turbo removed...however if it can be done without removing turbo, its not as big of a deal. I could just do it whenever.

So questions:

1. Can you get to the upper universal joint without removing turbo? exhaust? Looks like its possible with brake booster heat shield removed?
2. Have you guys had good luck with the rack rebuild kits? My local indy shop said they had mixed luck with the kit (not sure which one he used)...needs some bushings that are not supplied??? I was just going to have him rebuild my power rack, but he was suggesting I just buy a rebuilt rack since with labor it would be cheaper or about the same. Rebuild video looks pretty straight forward, but if the answer to question 1 is no, I don't want to do this job twice.

Any other suggestions are appreciated
1. Yes you definitely don't have to remove the turbo or any exhaust, but you do have to remove the brake booster heat shield, which is virtually impossible Good luck!

2. I've only tried a "rebuilt" steering rack (which afaik is just resealed) and it leaked badly just outside the warranty period. If you're going that route, you might want to see if Autozone have them. They have them on and off, and they used to come with a lifetime warranty. Personally though, if I have more leaks I'm going to replace the seals on the one I have. They do wear mechanically and if you have a nice solid one I wouldn't recommend taking the risk of exchanging it for something that could be in much worse shape.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:45 AM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I just replaced mine a few months ago. Got a rebuilt at O'Reilly's for $179. That is only twice what the seal kit costs and it is ready to use right away and has a warranty too. If the rebuild kit is not successful you are on your own and still have to buy a rebuilt. It was a no-brainer to me.

It also came with new inner tie rod ends and tie rods (but no outer tie rod ends). Mine were shot and I was going to have to replace them anyway, so another plus to the rebuilt.

Good Luck.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:07 PM
ekoz
Racer

Originally Posted by Spring44
I just replaced mine a few months ago. Got a rebuilt at O'Reilly's for $179. That is only twice what the seal kit costs and it is ready to use right away and has a warranty too. If the rebuild kit is not successful you are on your own and still have to buy a rebuilt. It was a no-brainer to me.

It also came with new inner tie rod ends and tie rods (but no outer tie rod ends). Mine were shot and I was going to have to replace them anyway, so another plus to the rebuilt.

Good Luck.
Wonder if they had a different brand a while ago....they are going for $500 now.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Originally Posted by ekoz
Wonder if they had a different brand a while ago....they are going for $500 now.
Here is the one I bought. They want you to specify a store in your area to get a specific price, but mine was $179, plus a core charge, last fall.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/s...4/8d7b332a633f
Old 05-10-2019, 07:38 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just checked and I'm showing $519. Sigh ... I ripped a boot on my steering rack ... doing something stupid ... another story.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 PM
Spring44
Instructor

To clarify, I have an '84 NA model. Do the turbos have a unique PS rack? I just assumed that they were all the same.
Sorry if I misled anyone!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:54 AM
ekoz
Racer

I looked autozone and they showed one for $187 https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...eVehicle=false
Old 05-11-2019, 10:16 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

A power steering rack rebuild is not a fun job. Lots of small parts held in very tightly ==> high risk of impossible-to-replace part flying across the garage when you finally get the thing apart (ask me how I konw). Also, the sealing rings are a fragile plastic of some kind, and are very difficult to keep from breaking when reassembling the unit. FInally, the thing is very awkardly shaped, making it hard to clamp in a vice while loosening and tightening bolts and collars. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did, but five years and many projects later, this one ranks near the top of the most challenging ones I wish I had never attempted.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:10 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a rebuilt unit.
Two weeks later I removed the leaking "rebuilt" rack, rebuilt my original leaking one properly and swapped it out. What fun!
Six years and a million track miles later - no leaks.
Your mileage may.....
Old 05-16-2019, 11:09 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

1. You can remove the shaft, not fun but doable. I have done it.

2. I rebuilt my rack and it is tough, but mine works great. I had two rebuilt units that started to leak one in a spectacular way. I figured I can always re-rebuild it if it leaks. The autozone racks are not great.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:30 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a friend who went through the rebuild route, and it didn't work out well. Cheap rebuilds from Autozone have guarantees but are not reliable, as two of them failed for our friend. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and get a quality rebuilt one from 944online. We got one and it's been perfect. He has "a guy" who checks them before he ships them out.

Quick Reply: Power Steering - DIY rebuild or buy rebuilt rack