List of common parts to replace on 87' 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Kenneth Booher
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of common parts to replace on 87' 944 turbo

Hi!
I have just recently purchased a 1987 944 turbo and was looking to see if anyone had a list of specific parts I should replace?
I will be doing the repairs myself, and would love any advice. The engine is fairly clean, has 114k miles on it, and starts right up. I've been told that I should replace the belts, water pump, etc...
I am just not sure which belts as this is my first attempt at reparations on any vehicle and am not very familiar with the part and such.
I would love any tips or advice anybody has to share!
Thanks a million!

Old 05-16-2019, 05:05 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Congratulations! Is that the car with the blown head gasket that you posted about previously?

As to maintenance, I’ll repeat what’s been stated hundreds of times on this forum. If you have no records when they were last done you should look at replacing the balance belt, cam belt, all the rollers that the belts ride on (including the water pump) and all the seals at the front of the engine. You should also replace the two fuel lines and jumper line on the fuel rail and change the spark plugs, fuel and engine oil filters, replace the engine oil and the transmission oil.

You can find how to do everything on Clark’s Garage under the link “Garage Shop Manual” on the left sidebar.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:55 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh boy your in for a treat! Buy lots of tools and special tools, a bench grinder to modify some of them. Buy a quality air compressor(s) and air tools. Buy every seal, gasket, bearing, hose, or wearable item for the entire drivetrain and suspension then replace them all, that’s a decent start. If you have money enjoy it while it lasts because a 951 is a huge hidden gold digger. But it’s my favorite car. I used to be a baller but now I don’t have a dollar due to my 951. And the other 5 944’s I have. That should be a song. You’ll feel what I’m talking about soon enough. Oh and congratulations on your purchase, very good looking 951. Have you thought about opening a dedicated bank account just for this cars maintenance/ highly addictive upgrade options? I like those rims!
Old 05-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Would daily drive my previous 951 with 115k miles. Only had to replace a cv boot and live with a small oil leak.

As mentioned above the timing belt and water pump are critical. There are a bunch of seals around there too that should/could be replaced at the same time.

Welcome and congratulations.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Lets see....what to work on.....

I would start with the engine, go with a 3.0.
Stand Alone ECU with all new wiring
Replace the turbo and all exhaust piping & headers
Bigger brakes
Coil overs
Add or refresh the LSD

and hang an air freshen on the mirror.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I'd say that changing the three fuel lines under the hood have to be the most important thing. There are three. Two run from the fender to the fuel rail, and there is a third jumper line on the rail itself. They do get old and leak, and when they do, the fuel drips onto the headers and catch fire. It is a known, non-hypothetical risk with these cars. Timing belt is a close second, since it can bend valves or worse if it slips or breaks. Then be sure the brakes are working well, with fresh fluid, good pads, no leaks, etc. As they say, make sure it stops and steers before making it go...
Old 05-17-2019, 02:03 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Lets see....what to work on.....

I would start with the engine, go with a 3.0.------------(Sell your daily Driver to pay for this. then max out the credit card)
Stand Alone ECU with all new wiring --------------------(There Goes Christmas)
Replace the turbo and all exhaust piping & headers-- (Drain that bank account you opened Just for the car)
Bigger brakes-----------------------------------------------------(Get a 2nd Job)
Coil overs----------------------------------------------------------(Take out a home equity line of credit)
Add or refresh the LSD-----------------------------------------(Don't worry about this one. EZ .. You can still borrow money from your 401k)

and hang an air freshen on the mirror.-------- (Wont need it cause your wife Girlfriend has already hung you in the garage)

Seriously, Its a slippery slope . Keep it stock, Keep it clean, and you wont get financially Killed.. Don't get too addicted to the boost... Im an addict myself.. Trying to work on a recovery plan.. its a 3 step plan.. 1Bar … 2 Bar.... 3 Bar...

Congrats on the Buy!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:49 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=Kenneth Booher;15845207]Hi!
I have just recently purchased a 1987 944 turbo and was looking to see if anyone had a list of specific parts I should replace?
I will be doing the repairs myself, and would love any advice. The engine is fairly clean, has 114k miles on it, and starts right up. I've been told that I should replace the belts, water pump, etc...
I am just not sure which belts as this is my first attempt at reparations on any vehicle and am not very familiar with the part and such.
I would love any tips or advice anybody has to share!
Thanks a million!

UOTE]

Which parts to replace? All of them...JK, just most of them! Good looking car. You may be able to get a bit more shine on that red with an aggressive polishing with a variable speed polisher.

For the belts, what they're referring to are the balance and timing belts. Once you have those off, you can replace the water pump. The belts aren't too terrible to replace but you do need a way to set the tension on them. The Arnworx tool works well. If you really learn to work on this car, you can be proud of why you have no skin left on your knuckles and forearms! Of the many cars I have done serious mechanical work on, my 951 is by far the most physically, mentally and financially depleting one I've ever experienced. But when it's running right, it's like a hot mistress.

Quick Reply: List of common parts to replace on 87' 944 turbo