Critique my boost plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 02:08 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Critique my boost plan

Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of an engine-out reseal that is walking a fine line between reasonable and out of control. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ut-reseal.html
There is going to be a good amount of work done, so I feel like it's going to be a healthy and strong motor (actually it already was strong). But I'm wanting to run 18 psi. So here's the plan to do this; let me know what you think!

What I'm doing:
New rod bearings with new nuts
New clutch
Comprehensive belt and water pump service
Refreshed head (guides, valve stem seals, skim the surface as minimally as possible)
Cometic head gasket with reused stock studs, new nuts and washers
Lindsey Racing steam vent (?)
K26-8

Previously installed:
Tial 38mm wastegate
LR manual boost controller
3.0 bar FPR
LR bypass valve
LR Max chips
Boost gauge
Gutted cat

Will also do:
Wideband gauge
Injector cleaning

What I don't plan to do:
MAF conversion
Bigger turbo
Exhaust

My Lindsey Racing chip set is for a K26-6, but I'm hoping to get away with using them to start. But maybe they'll run lean at that much boost on the K26-8? If so, an option I could do is the A-Tune that they're selling now, which sounds like a more sophisticated solution anyway with an AFM.

Alright, let's hear some of your thoughts.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:30 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

That is pretty close to the setup I've run for 20 years (I have a MAF and 42lb Delphi disc injectors). It ran 18psi for 90% of it's 70K miles, 21psi at it's highest. It's getting a refresh this year due to balance shaft seal leaks.

Personally, I would change the head studs and think about larger injectors.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 PM
zmf
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One part that jumps out at me because mine is currently under the knife is the "skim the surface" part. Are you referring to the head/block surface at the head gasket? If so, you might check on what a cometic gasket needs for best results. If not, ignore this.
One question is what prompted you to add the "steam vent"? I thought about it -- haven't done it because I blew the head gasket near piston #1, which made me think I had other overheating issues.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Definitely do the LR steam vent. Your engine will be making higher temps at 18 psi and the #4 cyl is a known problem.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:59 PM
968to986
Racer

Originally Posted by Perry 951
That is pretty close to the setup I've run for 20 years (I have a MAF and 42lb Delphi disc injectors). It ran 18psi for 90% of it's 70K miles, 21psi at it's highest. It's getting a refresh this year due to balance shaft seal leaks.

Personally, I would change the head studs and think about larger injectors.
As in new OEM studs or Raceware/ARP? I've definitely considered upgrading the injectors, but it adds more money to a snowballing effort. One thought is to monitor with the Wideband first and if I need more fueling, I can add bigger injectors later without too much trouble.

Originally Posted by zmf
One part that jumps out at me because mine is currently under the knife is the "skim the surface" part. Are you referring to the head/block surface at the head gasket? If so, you might check on what a cometic gasket needs for best results. If not, ignore this.
One question is what prompted you to add the "steam vent"? I thought about it -- haven't done it because I blew the head gasket near piston #1, which made me think I had other overheating issues.
Hopefully the block won't have to be surfaced, so I was referring to the head to gasket surface. There were no issues with the head gasket, so hopefully everything is still nice and straight.
Originally Posted by rlm328
Definitely do the LR steam vent. Your engine will be making higher temps at 18 psi and the #4 cyl is a known problem.
It does seem like a good idea, and it's not expensive or too difficult with the head off.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:34 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless you resurface both block and head, I'll skip the Cometic HG. I would use the Widefire gasket, I used it with 28psi boost (big turbo, race gas proper tune on the track).

Monitoring AFRs is great. I would add a Knock monitor, just as important.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:35 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I like the cometic gaskets but I am also using it to make up for skimming my block 1 too many times. Widefire may help, but also a well prepped surface also is important, a finish of 50 RA or finer is recommended for the cometic,
Old 02-27-2019, 08:57 AM
968to986
Racer

Thanks for the input.
Originally Posted by fast951
Unless you resurface both block and head, I'll skip the Cometic HG. I would use the Widefire gasket, I used it with 28psi boost (big turbo, race gas proper tune on the track).

Monitoring AFRs is great. I would add a Knock monitor, just as important.
Interesting. It was my understanding that the Widefire gasket was most beneficial when the head (and block?) was o-ringed. But I certainly have heard of people running high boost with them. I’ll look into the knock monitor.

Originally Posted by rlm328
I like the cometic gaskets but I am also using it to make up for skimming my block 1 too many times. Widefire may help, but also a well prepped surface also is important, a finish of 50 RA or finer is recommended for the cometic,
Yeah, I know they make different thicknesses to compensate for machining, but I thought they also have standard thickness. I didn’t know about the surfaces needing a particular finish level. I would probably consult with Lindsey Racing before buying one.

All this makes me me think a well tuned and monitored setup with OEM gasket might be just fine.

Speaking of well tuned, I’m surprised no one has commented on my plan to use my existing chips for K26-6 with a K26-8. I’ve been concerned that it may not give an accurate mixture for the bigger turbo. But I guess I can let the Wideband tell me that.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 968to986

Speaking of well tuned, I’m surprised no one has commented on my plan to use my existing chips for K26-6 with a K26-8. I’ve been concerned that it may not give an accurate mixture for the bigger turbo. But I guess I can let the Wideband tell me that.
Your chips *might* be OK for the slightly larger turbo hot side, but your engine will theoretically be more efficient and move more air after a fresh valve job, so your baseline will change. It's not 1991 anymore (though with the popularity of Redwood and the like, it seems a lot of people wish it was!). I think it is silly to spend all of the money on the hardware and not incorporate at least a basic means of fine-tuning the system. A-Tune is inexpensive and simple to install, and many here have had good experiences with A-Tune and M-Tune.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:20 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I did that and a Garrett Turbo, 80lb injectors, 4' exhaust too
Old 02-27-2019, 04:30 PM
zmf
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"As in new OEM studs or Raceware/ARP?"

How do you guys feel about which head studs? I'm at this point in a repair, and am getting conflicting advice. One camp says Raceware are stronger/better, while another camp says that Porsche studs will flex with heat/stress and be better in the long run.

Last edited by zmf; 02-27-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:58 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I believe there's a Max chip set for the K26-8, not sure how the K26-6 will fair.
Also believe you'd see some decent improvements by opening up the exhaust, especially if currently running stock. (Cat delete, 3" or both)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 AM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd suggest a 3 inch downpipe, 3 inch exhaust.

i also don't understand your reluctance to upgrade the injectors... the cost is not significant, but i reapect your plan to base the decision on actual AFR data.

Malcolm

Quick Reply: Critique my boost plan