Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 12:20 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

All nice and dandy. For the past year or so, we keep hearing about all the new goodies and the innovations... It's exciting, so when all this stuff is becoming a reality? How much of it is really new vs. hipe? When would it be tested, debugged, redesigned then offered to the public?
Not picking here, just would like to know!

As for the 1200 HP 1.5L, BMW and others did wonder in the 70s.. So what does it have to do with the 951? Heck a drag car makes few 1000s HP, but it has nothing to do with the 951...
Old 02-02-2004, 12:56 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for the new parts etc. I'm not the one to ask. You need to direct that question to Travis now. But I will list here the parts I know of, but I do not know their availability etc.

AFM unit, finished and available
Knock display and Harness, finished and available
EFI, running stock triggers and sensors, 2 systems, finished and available
CDI Ignition system, finished and available
Sequential fuel triggering system, finished and available
Deck Plate, finshed and available for 944 and 968 blocks
Liners, finished and available
Girdle upgrade, finished and available
Pistons, finihed and testing, ask Travis for delivery date
Rods, same as Pistons
Head studs, finished and available
Headgasket, finished and available in many sizes
2V Cylinder Head upgrade, guides, seats, Valves, Springs, Retainers etc, finished and testing, ask Travis.
Camshafts, and adjustable Cam gear, finished and available
Solid tappets, finished and testing, ask Travis
Crankshaft, there is one designed for a customer who I do not who it is, but I'm sure it will be available, ask Travis
Multibutterfly intake, not sure, but I know Travis knows about this.
Filter assembly, finished and available. Pic of this was posted by Danno/ Guru many months ago.
New engine mount for Turbo side. Allows for different turbo mounting. Ask Travis about this one. He knows about this.
Sump upgrade, and billet dry sump pan. This again is something Travis is working on with PD for a customer. Need to ask him.

I'm sure I have either left somethinh out or included something not yet available. What I know, is that Travis is now PD's point man, who is in charge of the development program. Together with PD, Travis is now working with SFR on fabricated parts etc. Travis has way more experience than he lets on, so he is going to be very important to this whole project. It all seems very grand, but the parts are either finished or in testing. I cannot wait, as my engine is supposed to be the first to get them, or I hope it is. Remember, 944 engines were never a part of PD's work. They took on this challenge, and to date look what we have out of it. Headgasket, EFI, Deck Plate, etc. I know the EFI took way more time finish than originally thought. The triggering was a nightmare. What I understand, 1 sesor counts 132 teeth per rev, the other counts 1. Both are reluctor, so the voltage generated by 1 is way bigger than the other. False inputs etc were happening, but they stuck at it and now we have a really good system that bolt on.

With the other vendors offering same or similar products, we now have way more to choose from. Thats the name of the game for me. My very first posts were to this issue! Like I said before, unless you are offering some of these parts, you may not a look from future customers. As a customer, I just a choice, and that the choices are quality and are engineered.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:13 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

All this sounds great. So a new vendor on the vendors list... As you said, most items have been offered one way or the other elsewhere. I guess the level of engineering will show once the products are put to use. If priced reasonably, perform as advertised and reliable, they should sell. We keep our fingers crossed.

The reason I asked you, because you are the only one who likes to "beat the drum".

As for the trigger, I had Motec running with the stock sensors, but the system is much more expensive than the link system...
Old 02-02-2004, 01:51 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

I know. But I've said why before. I went to them and asked if they would make this stuff. They agreed, and I am buying 1 of each, but I am not paying for the development. I feel I owe them something for this. This is why I bang my drum. Its the least I can do. I know of many others who are now seeing what I am saying. Now Travis will take over, and I can drop back and wait for my new engine. Then I better buy a car!
Old 02-02-2004, 01:52 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

BTW, sorry for hijacking this thread. We should move this to another if interested. Then this one can stay about the Liners etc.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:23 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by m42racer
I know. But I've said why before. I went to them and asked if they would make this stuff. They agreed, and I am buying 1 of each, but I am not paying for the development. I feel I owe them something for this. This is why I bang my drum. Its the least I can do. I know of many others who are now seeing what I am saying. Now Travis will take over, and I can drop back and wait for my new engine. Then I better buy a car!
Very nice of you to return the favor. However (and I'm not saying it's the case) this looks like advertisement.. They do new development, you don't pay in $, in exchange your promote the product.
I think it's great that you are a friend with the facility owner to get him to take on new development..

Sorry to hijack the thread...
Old 02-02-2004, 02:15 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

It looks that way I'm sure. But my intentions are not that. I know of several people who have got help from PD. One guy who bought Link products from Huntely, and was sold the wrong stuff, got the proper parts and was not charged. they just want to help. In return, I am trying to spread the word. Now that Travis is part of PD, I will pull back and leave to it him.

Now back to Liners.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:15 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

It looks that way I'm sure. But my intentions are not that. I know of several people who have got help from PD. One guy who bought Link products from Huntely, and was sold the wrong stuff, got the proper parts and was not charged. they just want to help. In return, I am trying to spread the word. Now that Travis is part of PD, I will pull back and leave to it him.

Now back to Liners.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates? I'm dying to hear more about this.

How much power is possible with this design?
Old 02-02-2004, 05:50 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

I'm dying to hear more about this.
Same.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

I took a couple of minutes to download vogel's two pics (prepped block and siamese sleeves) and really look at the two together. The interfaces between the "collars" and the inside of the block seem quite substantial to me. Perhaps I'm missing something(wouldn't be the first time), but I don't see how a full deck plate would significantly improve the bracing vogel's got going already. If you really wanted run a boatload of boost and not have the cylinders squirming around you could fill the entire water jacket with grout and weld the head on. Of course you'd have to run alcohol, but the barrels would be stiff. While stiffness is the goal, I doubt any of us would go to this extreme, but how far do you want to go is the question.

Last edited by Russ Murphy; 02-03-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have asked before and this looks like a good time to ask again. How big can a 2.5L 951 motor get? I am in the process of doing a 3.4L Corvair motor which was originally a 2.5L. That motor will not get any larger but the constraints are not something we have to deal with (mainly the flat-6 layout). That motor will have very tight tolerances and all custom made parts. To the best of my knowledge it will be the largest one ever built (there are loads of 3.1L). So can you achieve a 3.4L or larger?

How about the 3.0L can it be taken to 3.5L? I have no idea what the limits are, does anyone else?
Old 02-02-2004, 07:19 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

The limits are supposedly the wall thickness of whatever you put in, as well as how long you want the engine to last. Vogel's process will work for his requirements, as I think we all have guessed he has no problem with engineering.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:22 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally posted by TonyG
>>>
The real solution for this is to use a RSR type sealing ring.

TonyG
Can you expand on this? Are you talking about a grooved area in the head and block sleeve to recieve a nitrogen-filled ring?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by TonyG
>>>
The real solution for this is to use a RSR type sealing ring.

TonyG
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you expand on this? Are you talking about a grooved area in the head and block sleeve to recieve a nitrogen-filled ring?

Ahem....Please do.

Quick Reply: Where to get sleaving "kits"