Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Transaxle mount bolts stuck! Please help! (Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:27 AM
mke4now
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transaxle mount bolts stuck! Please help! (Pics!)

1987 944 NA aka - One paycheck every few months

Hey guys, first I want to say that this site is great. Being able to pull knowledge from people around the world with all different experiences has been invaluable to myself as a newbie mechanic, and I'm sure the same is true for a couple veterans out there.

I'm currently putting a new transaxle in. The original had some major problems and had it towed and I couldn't determine what was wrong without opening up the whole case and figuring it out. After watching a few videos of pulling the case apart and all the specs on the gears and everything being so exact and intensive, I opted to buy a used one instead. This is a link to my original thread trying to diagnose the problem. If anyone reads through it and notices something that we missed, please let me know! https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...se-help-2.html / https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...se-help-2.html

Here's the problem in a nutshell:

-The new TA came with the whole mounting bracket attached.
-The nuts came off the mounting bolts (13mm) just fine, but I could not remove the bolts.
-There are no threads through the channel where the bolts go through, and are simply secured by the nut at the end.
-As you can see, I sprayed the **** out of them on both sides and took a hammer to it. I'm not sure if there's some locktite or something on the bolt, but it is in there securely.
-They are stuck in there tight enough that the bolts started to compress, in one of the pics below you can see the how the threads were starting to collapse.

I'm not sure what else could be locking these bolts in besides something like locktite, as they sit freely in that recessed channel, and the only threads are on the bolt itself. Two things I have yet to try is using a torch, and cutting the bolts flush with the mounting bracket, and trying to push it through with a clamp or puller or something.

Secondly/Second option:

-The mounting bracket piece that directly connects to the TA, then connects to the mounting bracket, which connects to the cross-member (I don't know all the correct names). You can see it in the pics.
-My thinking was that if I could just remove the mounting bracket from the piece that attaches to the TA (piece that is held in place by the bolts that are stuck) I could either drop the cross-member out, install it on the TA and put it all back in at once, or try to mount it as is, and hope there was enough space on above the TA to get to the bolts.
-However, one of the bolts broke off here, too.
-These bolts are threaded all the way through, so I can't just hammer them out.
-Any ideas how to remove this without screwing up the threads? I'm assuming the threading on the TA case are hard as hell, but I'm guessing not hard enough to force it though and break the bolt threads without damaging everything else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to everyone in advance for reading!

Matching bolt length from original mount to check position of seized

Bolt heads are not accessible

Bolts seem to be compressing, you can see the threads compacting.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:18 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 270 Posts

Put a wrench on the bolt head and turn it CCW while putting compression force on the threaded end of the bolt. Bolt should back out.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:38 AM
indes
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember them being in there pretty good, as they support a bit of weight and vibration.
Hammered them out under the car, while the transmission dolly relieved the weight of the transaxle. (Got a face full of dirt though and wasn't wearing safety glasses.. Only reason I remember it)

They may have been bent into a 'U' shape due to the weight -- trying to unscrew them likely caused thread damage where the bend in the screw was anyway.
Maybe you could add some downward force on the mount to relieve some of the pressure while trying to unscrew them?
You may also be able to cut them flush with a grinding wheel and slide them out, depending on if/where there's a bend in the bolt..
Old 02-23-2019, 02:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

hard to see in the photos but the threads look messed up already.
cut off the portion sticking out from the TA and go to town with a punch and BIG hammer to knock em out the other side.

buy new bolts.
The following users liked this post:
jimmerp (03-21-2020)
Old 02-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

I remember trying to hammer those out - and have some vague recollection that in the end, they didn't need to come out and I had to clean up the threads I had beat up.
Does that sound right?
Old 03-16-2020, 03:03 PM
Francis Robert
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will be my example.
I orient myself on the purchase by SCS of a delta 800. For the moment without modification of the management of the ignition (I pass by the original distributor. Then I will make there modification once the whole a little more under control.

I look to take injectors 440cc (bosch 0280155280) that advise me SCS but I have not yet found them.

What are your injectors?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:43 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

To the OP: what ever happened to the bolts? How did you resolve this?

Francis: Vous avez posté dans le mauvais fil

Quick Reply: Transaxle mount bolts stuck! Please help! (Pics!)