Square dash 944 sat in shed for years, attempting rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Falken
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Square dash 944 sat in shed for years, attempting rebuild

Hello everyone!

My Dad bought an '83 Porsche 944 way back in the early 90's that had fire damage. We rebuilt it, and it proved to be a fantastic car for a good few years until the engine scored a bore. It's been sat in a warehouse for a few years, and then was moved to a container.

I offered to buy it off him recently, and he scoffed at the idea, and said I could have the thing for free! Charitable of the old man.

Name:  L4fq4l.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  42.5 KB
Doesn't it look so sad. The rust isn't from the car, it's from the roof of the container. No damage to the body or paint. Window seals are all good, too.Only rust on the car is on the nearside door, and looks easy enough to deal with, also a little paint flaking on the nearside fender seam.

Apart from the usual checks to be done with a car that's been sat in place for years, the engine needs to be replaced (it was the reason it was taken off the road. Scored a bore), door cards need replaced, seats need to be replaced or reupholstered. Might go with the latter given the price of tombstone seats. Tires will be a bit buggered by this point...

All in all, it's dawning on me how much this is going to cost to do. Might be cheaper to just get a runner and use this for spares. Damn thing hasn't been OTR since 2000!

Name:  egqGxl.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  66.5 KB
Name:  8YHNYl.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  60.4 KB
Name:  ciJCsl.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  61.6 KB

e: Should probably note, both the doors and tailgate hatch will not budge. Locks are jammed regardless of how much penetrating oil gets fired in. Might end up having to smash a window in to get inside.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:57 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I think trying the hatch is your best bet. So the doors are actually locked, or are the mechanisms frozen?

I think there may be a way to remove the quarter window from the outside. Someone on here probably knows if there is. Might be enough to squeeze inside, or at least try to push the door open. If the door are just locked, then you could easily lift up the exposed lock cylinder.

Cool car! Nice color, I've never seen it before. You'll obviously want to wash it. The rust stains should come out with some good wax buffing. Its tedious, but they should come out.

IMO, I would try to restore the car. So many get destroyed. It sounds like it has a fair amount of sentimental value to you and your family too.

Good luck.

Take care!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Falken
Track Day

Hi,

Yeah, rear hatch is what we're aiming for.

Dad THINKS he has a near side side window around to replace if we need to smash a window to get in, but if it can be removed from outside that'd be great.

The color is actually Supersonic blue pearl; a honda color. It's the color it came with when we got it originally, so when it came time to respray dad decided to just go with it. Lovely color. Going to set about getting all the stains out tomorrow or next day.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Maybe I was wrong about the window. Sorry. Read through these threads.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-fixed-it.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...r-windows.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...oval-help.html

Trying to remove it from the outside might not be worth the possible damage you could cause to the paint, window frame, etc.

If you have to break the glass, just don't break the windshield or the hatch. Both are expensive. I've seen a broken hatch once - what a friggin mess!

Put a heavy fabric over the glass while you break it, so nothing comes back.

If you think you can fit through the quarter window, break that. Watch for the glass remnants in the frame as you crawl through though.

If your car was an '84 or newer with a power sunroof you might've been able to pop the back of the sunroof up. However, doesn't look like that's the case

I do suggest you save it, for its sentimental value to you and its unique color. It's obviously not a factory color, but unique nonetheless! Once you wash and wax it it should look terrific. Once you're done buffing out the rust stains, put a coat of sealant wax on the whole car.

Also, just think about having it finished and look back on these pictures and going, 'wow!'

BTW - I'm curious - is that a towhook in place of where the right front bumper pad goes?

Take care!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:26 AM
Falken
Track Day

Yes. There is a towing eye behind the bumper pad, so we fabbed a hook.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Cool!

Look forward to your progress, whichever route you take.

Take care!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Falken
Track Day

The interior is in worse condition than I suspected. I pressed against the roof lining and my hand went straight through, and pulled a bunch of foam with it. All the cloth is completely perished, the dash is cracked along the top, et cetera.

However, I was kind of hoping for this! Why? I'm going to tear it all out, and we're looking to get a late model donor car with the oval dash. I've looked at Marcquito's thread on converting the shell to accept the new dash and we're confident that we can do this. Like him and his father, we're both a little crazy.

Oh, and the steering wheel is quite nice. I think it is a momo. 3 spoke, anyway. My dad was offered £150 for it back in 1998. It's held up nicely.

Pics will be on tonight. I have a big Forza race to win!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Falken
Track Day

Okay, slight deviation from original plans.

From what I've seen and been told of the 'donor' 944 it sounds like it's in far better condition than mine. Also, it's pretty much impossible/impractical to convert an early to 1985.5 spec due to all the different mountings.

It's a 1986 with a good interior, teledials (will sell), and some minor body issues.

Issues with the new 944.

n/s sill needs work, couple of rust patches from when someone got halfway through grinding down some metal to put locking latches below the tailgate to stop them potentially flying over when tracking it. Easily fixed.

Engine turns over, but doesn't fire. Going to check the sparks first.

Car needs a full respray, and as my father has painted cars before (he painted the blue one) I will be getting it sprayed in the same blue.

Here's a shot of the interior.

Name:  fgK9Fl.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  39.4 KB
Old 10-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Falken
Track Day

Sorry for the extra post, but I must ask a couple of questions regarding my 86.

I'm either going to keep the Teledials or refurb my cookie cutters. I don't see the point in buying a set of 16s if I might wind up buying a Turbo in a couple of years after saving.

What is the lighter of the two sets? My guess is the Cookies. Has anyone taken the black off them and done them in other colors? I was wondering what a bronze or gold might look like in combination with blue (respraying the 86 in the same blue as the 83. Very taken with this color)

What tires do I want to put on? I definetely want some good grip because well, that's what 944s are for; handling.

Also, 924 Carrera GTS lights. I saw that a company does a kit for them and they cost around £500 but state explicitly that they aren't ideal for road use as they can build up condensation. Are there alternatives that are superior, or could I just seal them up good? I want to try and save weight in the thing by taking out the rear seats and carpeting the area, taking out the AC (I've driven many cars without Air con and have never seen a need for it. Damages performance and weighs too much) and of course, the fixed recessed lights mod saves a shedload of weight north of the front wheels.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:08 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Not sure about the wheels. I would guess cookies. I've picked up both the cookie cutter and comparable early-offset, same size Phonedial without tires. But not sure - I didn't pick them up at the same time!

I don't think broze or gold would look good with the blue color. Too clashing, IMO. They look good black with silver rims. Maybe polished rims.

The latches thing is strange. Even with brand new shocks, the hatch shouldn't pop open, unless maybe its a movie stunt car going over jumps. I would imagine there is/was something wrong with the stock latches (prevented it from staying latched), look into that.

Surprised no one else has replied. I know somewhere out there someone weighed almost every OEM Porsche wheel and made a chart.

From what I've read, there isn't a end-all-be-all set of fixed headlights. I've heard people having problems with every set on the market now. A lot of people end up making their own.

As for the rear seats, the seat-back is what weighs the most.

Did you ever manage to get the first car open?

Take care!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Jamesr6967
Instructor

Here's a pic of the 'Cookies' in gold (No, not mine, found on the 'web'). Yes the 'Cookies' are the lightest, I believe the Fuchs are almost as light.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Falken
Track Day

Oh dear, that does not look good at all! That Scirocco wants them in their stock, black color...

Think I might break my old 944 for parts. Probably not much use to most of you guys as you seem to be primarily US/Can based.

Quick Reply: Square dash 944 sat in shed for years, attempting rebuild