Rear quarter windows.??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear quarter windows.??

Hi folks
im looking at replacing the rear black [ alloy ] trims that fit round the rear quarter windows. Mine are getting a bit corroded...
Does anybody know how easy i is to remove + refit them.??

I realise that i might need to remove the rear windows , but ill probably combine that with fitting better rear speakers , as i belive these arent accessable with the window insitu....

Anybody got a removal/ refit guide.?????
Old 11-12-2006, 05:57 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Moook,
You will need to take the windows out to replace the metal trims, you cannot put them in whilst the window is in situ.

Take window out and remove old trim ( you could repaint the old ones as I did? ). press your new trim into the groove in the window rubber so its nice and snug, have a friend help when you go to refit. First get some washing up liquid soap and smear around the window opening to aid in refitting. Get some cord long enough to fit in the channel of the rubber, get inside car and have friend hold window up to the opening, you now will start to pull the cordtowards you inside the car, this will pull the rubber over the metal lip and make a nice seal as you keep pulling the cord all the way around the opening, your friend will be pushing against the glass as you go.....its real easy really, just take your time and it'll work for you.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Moook
Racer

Thanks.
It sounds a pretty easy job....

How do you remove the window without breaking it.??
Old 11-13-2006, 05:11 AM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moook
Thanks.
It sounds a pretty easy job....

How do you remove the window without breaking it.??
First take the metal trim out then lift the rubber strip that runs at the door edge and carefully pry the the rubber out with a screwdriver, its a little tricky but it will give and you;ll be able to remove the window by hand then. just be careful you dont gouge any paint with the srewdriver
Old 11-13-2006, 09:53 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Moook:

Click Here for an excellent write up (with pictures) on Paragon's Tech Site showing how to remove and re-install the rear windows.

Only thing I might add to this is that I had good luck using a wide, plastic scraper to help position the rubber seals on reinstallation. The width and the softness of the plastic kept me from damaging the seals.

HTH
Old 11-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Moook
Racer

FANTASTIC.. Thanks...
Old 11-13-2006, 04:26 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

My pleasure, glad I could help.

I did this by myself and the first time around was a little scary. It'd be much easier if you had someone on the oustide of the car to catch the glass when it comes out. After 20 years the rubber had gotten fairly 'attached' to the frame. I used the scraper to pry (pryze, is that the proper British term?) it away from the frame and then was able to push it out without too much trouble.

Quick Reply: Rear quarter windows.??