944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Second Race with our 944 ChumpCar

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM
bokenoet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Race with our 944 ChumpCar

We took our 944 ChumpCar to BeaveRun this past weekend for our second race, and finished a respectable 10th....

Full Album on our facebook page

Failures over the two 7-hour races included:
- A lost alternator belt
- A cracked exhaust
- An instance of overheating

We're definitely one of the best handling cars out there, and we can outbrake just about everything... just wish we had some more power, we get eaten up on the straights....

For our next race we're considering getting some wider wheels on the car, making side skirts and a front splitter, cutting some more weight, lowering the car more, and making a lexan rear hatch. A V-6 swap is also being considered, since trying to squeeze some more power out of the 2.5L seems to be pretty expensive for not a lot of gains... I'm also not sure whether or not I want to go through the motor again after overheating at this race.... I know I probably should, our cheapo autozone water temp gauge was reading 250 degrees when we brought it in, but that was only a couple laps after a pit stop where we lost a bunch of water, and after we let it cool off and added more it ran fine for the final hour and a half at a stable 190-200....
Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Remotecontroller
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chumpcar

Rock on! We ran this weekend just outside of Austin, TX at Harris Hill (double 7). Our car has been through the ringer over the past 2 1/2 years, but still keeps going. We got t-boned at Texas World Speedway and had a bumper sticking out of our driver door. We got the "take a licking and keeps on ticking" award. Poor car has been through a lot, but just keeps rolling. We had to swap out the trans on Saturday, but had more problems with shifting on Sunday. While this wasn't our finest moment, we normally handle like we are on rails and the braking is second to none.

Anyway, keep it up!!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran on track with the OP car at 944 Fest at Nelson Ledges this past summer! I may be getting a small collection of tired 944s soon and have been considering a similar Chump Car build. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Quick Reply: Second Race with our 944 ChumpCar