944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944S head/tensioner--dropped washer problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:28 PM
elcap00
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944S head/tensioner--dropped washer problem

i put a new chain tensioner on my car and while I was putting the J-tube back on I dropped the small crush washer into my head. I dropped it into the area behind the head bolts--I cannot see the washer and I put a wire into the hole and it went down a good 12 inches before it hit something.

What do I do? Where does this hole go? Is this something I can just not worry about? Please do not tell me I have to remove my head for this ---I really need some input--thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

if the washer can be picked up with a magnet (not copper or aluminum) this might work:

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...1.5lb._vi.html

otherwise try one of these:

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...ving_tool.html
Old 01-20-2008, 08:00 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

If your crush washer is magnetic you might fish it out the way it went in.

tie a small magnet on the end of some strong fishing line, or string. "make sure its strong"

if you don't have a small magnet. You make one. Take a very large magnet, and run it ONLY IN 1 direction over the washer, tie to string and test how strong the magnetic force is, If not too strong, rub on the big magnet more.

any how, the key is not to lose the magnet in the motor.

drop the magnet where you lost it and gently pull up the string, if it gets caught on something give slack.

I think you have the idea.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could try a vacuum with a narrow tip and try to vacuum it out. You will have to improvise the tip. I have made tips from items laying around the house to vacuum debris threw the spark plug hole in the past
Old 01-21-2008, 02:52 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I think you had better bend over a prepared to be raped. I have ALWAYS feared this problem, and put a rag in that hole before I remove anything.

I really don't think you can do anything about it. The washer is aluminum, as it is a crush washer. What I would try doing is chew some bubble gum, securely attached it to something flexible, but strong enough...and stick it down in the hole. However, the object is to NOT get the bubble gum stuck.

I would use the bubble gum as the VERY last resort before you pull the head.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:31 AM
elcap00
6th Gear

The magnet idea will not work b/c the washer is aluminum/copper. When I put a wire down into the hole after is goes 18" or so--I hit oil---I am thinking that this hole goes right down into my pan---anyone know whether that is the case?

If that is true this thing may not be a big deal.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:38 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, the washer has been dropped down and will eventually make it to the oil pan. I'm not sure this is a big deal, as it will either come out in an oil change or stay in the pan. The oil pick-up has a screen, so there is no fear of the washer being sucked up into the engine.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to this guy. ^
Old 01-23-2008, 11:31 AM
elcap00
6th Gear

You dont agree with RDL? I need to know what my risk is here. The hole definitely goes to the oil pan. I drained the oil and put a wire thru the hole---i can hear it hit the pan.

No washer came out of the oil---I was thinking about refilling the oil with very thin oil and redraining---hoping the washer comes out.

Any other thoughts out there? I am planning on doing the Streets of Willow this weekend with POC and would hate to blow up my engine on the track.

thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Who me? I said listen to him right? He is correct. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:28 PM
elcap00
6th Gear

Thanks a lot--I appreciate the input. I actually did a quick test with one of the other washers--I put it into some oil in a metal bowl and tried to figure out how much it would move--------hardly moved at all. I think once the washer hit the pan --the oil on it will keep it right where it is---I doubt there is much worry about it getting into my crank.

If anyone has any other thoughts--please let me know
Old 01-26-2008, 01:40 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Just to let you sleep easier at night, when the timing chain guides broke on my toyota (plastic), they dropped to the oil pan along with the small chunks and they were resting on the bottom of the pan when it was pulled.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM
cbseven
Instructor

Sounds like a good time to do your oil pan gasket if you have a leak...

Quick Reply: 944S head/tensioner--dropped washer problem