Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

New Panorama praise for 928

 
Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 PM
  #31  
The Fixer
Super User
 
The Fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,449
Default

Originally Posted by WyattsRide View Post
Maybe more brow-beating is needed to get the message accross!



It helps when the 928s that show up are as nice as ours. Right Ed?



Matt,
Flussig and Pablo are awesome for sure. The articles that I've read were very interesting and fun. I'm no writer, so I couldn't add much. But, a Kick Start is something I would have backed, like Jim's wheels.

I don't think I ever "Kissed up" But, if I didn't get Panorama for being a PCA member, I wouldn't buy it. I'm a PCA member because I DO have a Porsche. Hey Panorama, (and the Editor) 911s and 356s aren't the ONLY Porsches!

Hemmings Sport and Exotics is the only magazine that I buy now. They give the 928 some magazine space. (Read The F$%kin' Magazine!)

Yep i buy Hemming's S &E too. But a Kick Start wouldn't be only our responsibility it would come from 924, 44, 51, 68, (and Boxster) as Pablo
would include all the Porsche Step Children.

So a Kickstart would be very cheap collectively between all the forum members.

Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
You folks who are complaining about Panorama may have missed this earlier thread, which included what I thought was a very fair and good response from Panorama.
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-magazine.html

Brad
We always get these but somehow nothing materializes.

Talk is cheap.
The Fixer is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 10:08 PM
  #32  
MGW-Fla
Super User
 
MGW-Fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fla
Posts: 4,148
Default

Having an odd one out receive a bit of static from the mainstays can go both ways. I remember at SITM in '08 someone brought this Boxster as a spoof 928 WannaBe to the Saturday Gathering at the Meadow. Someone can clarify, but I seem to recall it was owned by a fellow shark owner who brought this instead(perhaps because it was for sale maybe?). Well I heard more than one person grumble about it being there in the field of the 928s. So needless to say, it was not well received. I believe it was made to be moved to the fringe of the field.
Attached Images  
MGW-Fla is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 10:18 PM
  #33  
The Fixer
Super User
 
The Fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,449
Default

I just got word from flussig Editor in Chief:

Heeeeeey Matt!!! Thanks for the props hombre, I really really appreciate your kind words. The money is the easy part…the hard part is finding the time to lay the whole thing out, but I’m willing to dive right in and just ****ing do it already. I’m all too excited to hold this labor of love in my hand.

I wanna chat with ya Friday, catch up, ya know?


^^Is this guy awesome or what?

I emailed him that he needs to go to print with flussig.

Important Note regarding talk being cheap:
I'm sure if/when Pablo does decide h's ready,
the established Porsche magazines all of a sudden will decide to throw us Porsche "stepchildren" owners a couple pity articles...

Well Pablo really loves these cars and we should support it.

I would think that divided by all of the forums $100 per person would do it. and get an annual subscription to the magazine.

I know Pablo, he is a very hard working rock solid guy. He can be trusted to make this happen.

I say let's stop moaning and make OUR magazine happen.
The Fixer is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 11:14 PM
  #34  
Crumpler
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Crumpler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,488
Default

Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
You folks who are complaining about Panorama may have missed this earlier thread, which included what I thought was a very fair and good response from Panorama.
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-magazine.html

Brad
Yes, I was there.
I heard that.
I can paraphrase the rest of the thread as well...


I do not have an axe to grind with the magazine, I will continue to get it because it comes with my PCA membership (unless they pull my card). My only dog in this fight is that Matt is a friend of mine, who completed a very cool project -- that I find much more interesting then the next "Driving a 356 In Modern Times" story that will get featured in Panorama.

Let's just say it's easier for me to believe that there are (in fact) no 928 stories in recent history in this magazine because Mr. Stout has chosen not to run them -- then it is for me to believe that he wants to run them, but can't, because one of us zany characters hasn't stepped forward to provide copy for him.

So my gripe here is not that Pete prints what he thinks the majority of Porsche owners want to read, it's the old concept of someone pissing on my head and telling me it's raining.

If we see 928 features in Panorama, it will be because 99.9% of the myopic general public can no longer afford to get into the air-cooled Porsche market. Their interest would be the driving force, not me "browbeating" a defensive editor.
Crumpler is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 11:24 PM
  #35  
Ninjaxz750
User
 
Ninjaxz750's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Near Phila, PA
Posts: 135
Default

Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
I just got word from flussig Editor in Chief:

Heeeeeey Matt!!! Thanks for the props hombre, I really really appreciate your kind words. The money is the easy part…the hard part is finding the time to lay the whole thing out, but I’m willing to dive right in and just ****ing do it already. I’m all too excited to hold this labor of love in my hand.

I wanna chat with ya Friday, catch up, ya know?


^^Is this guy awesome or what?

I emailed him that he needs to go to print with flussig.

Important Note regarding talk being cheap:
I'm sure if/when Pablo does decide h's ready,
the established Porsche magazines all of a sudden will decide to throw us Porsche "stepchildren" owners a couple pity articles...

Well Pablo really loves these cars and we should support it.

I would think that divided by all of the forums $100 per person would do it. and get an annual subscription to the magazine.

I know Pablo, he is a very hard working rock solid guy. He can be trusted to make this happen.

I say let's stop moaning and make OUR magazine happen.
Wait: are you suggesting/ saying that you/he/ we should create a 928 magazine? Oh man, thus begins the name of the magazine thread........


I'll start with a softball of "The Nine Two Eight"
Ninjaxz750 is offline  
Old 11-04-2014, 11:43 PM
  #36  
jcorenman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jcorenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Friday Harbor, WA
Posts: 3,560
Default

Originally Posted by The Fixer View Post
...Talk is cheap.
Secret of life: Show up.

This is has been discussed before, but I think we keep forgetting that Panorama is the house rag for the national PCA. Many of us participate locally, and I think generally feel welcome-- as long as we don't stand up and say something silly. And if we participate locally, we get some pictures and press in the local magazines or newsletters.

But Pano isn't a local magazine. The national events are Parade and Escape (the un-Parade, usually on the other side of the country). Parade this year was in Monterey, 1200 cars and (I think) four 928's. Do the math: 0.3%.

Talk is cheap, but if we could somehow break into two-digit participation at the national level then I think folks might notice.

The Parade concours is also a very interesting reality check for folks who think their car is in terrific shape. There are cars there, and I include Mark's "grandprixweiss" 84, that will brings tears to your eyes with the care that was taken.

Matt, from what you've written you've done a great job building the car that Porsche didn't. And if you believe that, then bring it.
jcorenman is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 AM
  #37  
linderpat
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
linderpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 10,301
Default

Originally Posted by Ninjaxz750 View Post
Wait: are you suggesting/ saying that you/he/ we should create a 928 magazine? Oh man, thus begins the name of the magazine thread........


I'll start with a softball of "The Nine Two Eight"
No; that magazine already exists, as an e-zine, and it already has a name - Flussing. Matt is talking about moving it to a print distributed ersion. It covers all front end water cooled cars.
linderpat is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 10:09 AM
  #38  
The Fixer
Super User
 
The Fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,449
Default

Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
No; that magazine already exists, as an e-zine, and it already has a name - Flussing. Matt is talking about moving it to a print distributed ersion. It covers all front end water cooled cars.
Yes and i think the other under appreciated but great Porsches
like the "ugly" 996, the Boxster, 914 etc.

Re showing up,

I do and brought my Son Matt to Frenzy and the PCA event at Summit Point.

I'm not suggesting tearing up your PCA membership, (no ire LOL) just another magazine that would be fun to flip through. (a Festivus for the Rest of Us !)

Be a PCA member and receive the magazine if that makes you happy. But continuing to complain that there is no 928 content is also discussed at length and growing tiresome.

This has been the case ( i have the old mags as proof) and always will be the case..

They may try and please us here and there but it won't be consistent or meaningful to the 928 model.

If flussig went to print it would also help kickstart new 928 interest with it.

Being seen as a collected Porsche not a disregarded one right when we are starting to see more interest in the car.

Pablo along with his 993 911 and 968 actually owns a 928, he is restoring a black '78.

He really loves these cars.

I hope he wants to do it, would be fun.
The Fixer is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 AM
  #39  
SeanR
Running up the Odo'
Rennlist Member
 
SeanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 34,539
Default

I guess one question would have to be asked though, how many 928 owners are members of PCA? If the number is as small as I'd guess, why would Panorama print articles that are not of interest to it's readers?
SeanR is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:21 AM
  #40  
MGW-Fla
Super User
 
MGW-Fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fla
Posts: 4,148
Default

I think some of the articles in Pano are written by the car owners, or someone who knows the car & owner; not just directly by Pano only. Or they're based on articles sent in by the owners. So how many 928 owners have ever submitted an article about a 928 for Pano's consideration? I know some have. I'd imagine Pano gets many requests every month. So those really wanting articles on 928s in Pano should continue to submit some candidates for them to consider.

Also you'd have to think that PCA/Pano gets some pressure from Porsche to stay more focused on the current models or their predecessors to help sell new Porsches. So that might limit the number of articles they are willing to print about older models that have not been in production for 19 years and have no current derivative being sold. They also have articles on Porches in most forms of racing too.

Since they've changed the format to a full size magazine, I think Pano is better than ever before. Not only the full size of the magazine, but much more variety & quality of the articles, photos, etc. To me, Pano is worth the meager cost of PCA membership alone.
MGW-Fla is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:34 AM
  #41  
WyattsRide
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
WyattsRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Posts: 2,300
Default

Originally Posted by SeanR View Post
I guess one question would have to be asked though, how many 928 owners are members of PCA? If the number is as small as I'd guess, why would Panorama print articles that are not of interest to it's readers?
Or what you really mean - "that are not of interest to the MAJORITY of it's readers.

That's a good question about the amount of 928 owners that are PCA members. I have a E-mail into the PCA to see if that statistic is available. I'm guessing it wont be. It sure would be interesting to know though.
WyattsRide is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 12:33 PM
  #42  
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Manny Alban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,032
Default

I can assure you that Porsche exerts no influence on what appears in Panorama. It's a printed magazine. It's comes out once a month. For the most part, the articles and photographs are by professionals. It makes a difference. You can have a great story, but if it's not written well, you quickly lose the reader. Parade coverage is tough. I've never been thrilled with the articles. I like the photos, but being able to cover a week long convention with over 20 events to attend in one article is a tough assignment.

So the alternative is the online world. It's no secret how many people get their local and national news online instead of the traditional newspaper. This is one of the reasons we brought on someone to handle the club's online media presence. If you think you have an interesting car for an article, drop the editor a line. There is no guarantee that it will turn into a Pano article but it may be the perfect fit for EBrake, PCA Facebook, etc.

What I'll never understand is the whole 'we're unloved' mantra. I've owned a slew of 'unloved' Porsches (914, 924, 928) and never felt slighted by anyone in PCA. Maybe that's why I got involved. I never felt inferior simply because of the type of Porsche I owned. I get much more comments on my 914 than my 911.

I'm not in the publishing business, but being involved with the transition of the old Pano into the new, I can tell you this much. Publishing a printed magazine is not easy, not cheap and people have little patience for mediocrity.

Of course, these are just some thoughts from an outgoing President who has 56 days before he turns into a pumpkin...
Manny Alban is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 01:23 PM
  #43  
MGW-Fla
Super User
 
MGW-Fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fla
Posts: 4,148
Default

Please don't let Pano become online only. Not after such an involved transition to the 1st class printed car magazine that it is now. It is the voice of PCA to me. And from being active for many years & on the BOD of my local PCA chapter, I can only imagine what your time and effort has been. Many thanks!
MGW-Fla is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 01:38 PM
  #44  
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Manny Alban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,032
Default

We have NEVER discussed making Pano online only. PCA's online presence compliments Panorama. I have an iPad. I travel alot. I still prefer having a magazine in my hands than reading it online. Maybe I'm old. I'm 48. My kids tell me I'm old.
Manny Alban is offline  
Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM
  #45  
uraniummetallurgist
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
uraniummetallurgist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: West Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 158
Default

Originally Posted by Manny Alban View Post
I can assure you that Porsche exerts no influence on what appears in Panorama. It's a printed magazine. It's comes out once a month. For the most part, the articles and photographs are by professionals. It makes a difference. You can have a great story, but if it's not written well, you quickly lose the reader. Parade coverage is tough. I've never been thrilled with the articles. I like the photos, but being able to cover a week long convention with over 20 events to attend in one article is a tough assignment.

So the alternative is the online world. It's no secret how many people get their local and national news online instead of the traditional newspaper. This is one of the reasons we brought on someone to handle the club's online media presence. If you think you have an interesting car for an article, drop the editor a line. There is no guarantee that it will turn into a Pano article but it may be the perfect fit for EBrake, PCA Facebook, etc.

What I'll never understand is the whole 'we're unloved' mantra. I've owned a slew of 'unloved' Porsches (914, 924, 928) and never felt slighted by anyone in PCA. Maybe that's why I got involved. I never felt inferior simply because of the type of Porsche I owned. I get much more comments on my 914 than my 911.

I'm not in the publishing business, but being involved with the transition of the old Pano into the new, I can tell you this much. Publishing a printed magazine is not easy, not cheap and people have little patience for mediocrity.

Of course, these are just some thoughts from an outgoing President who has 56 days before he turns into a pumpkin...
Manny:
You have done a great job and thanks for the invitation to contact the editor for a story.There are many interesting stories to be had amongst the 928 clan here on Rennlist and hopefully we can some on this site to present their cars for consideration.

I am a BIG fan of Panorama and particularly like the new larger format. It provides me with a monthly fix of all things Porsche. I'm sure the readership will enjoy learning more about our beloved 928s.

Please keep it in print format!!


All the best,

Joe
uraniummetallurgist is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Panorama praise for 928


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: