Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Thinking of Selling the GT for Something Newer (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/576258-thinking-of-selling-the-gt-for-something-newer.html)

Marine Blue 06-25-2010 09:46 PM

Thinking of Selling the GT for Something Newer

:icon107:

I'm thinking along the lines of a an Aston Martin Vantage or Boxster Spyder.

The AM comes across as the modern day 928 and prices have fallen dramatically over the past year to reasonable levels. I have always been attracted to them but I'm not sure how they drive and feel on the road. I don't want something that is geared more towards luxury than sport.

The Spyder is much better suited for the driving in this part of the country since super high speeds and fast acceleration is nearly non existent without risking jail time. I like everything about it but I have to decide if the depreciation hit is worth it.

Anyways I guess I'll post an update when I decide what to do.

RKD in OKC 06-25-2010 09:48 PM

I like the Spyder except for 2 absolute deal killers for a cruiser for me...No A/C and No Radio.

Marine Blue 06-25-2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC (Post 7688091)
I like the Spyder except for 2 absolute deal killers for a cruiser for me...No A/C and No Radio.

Both available as options, the radio is no cost. Added weight is minimal.

Nicole 06-25-2010 09:56 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't leave us!!! :crying:

Silver79 06-25-2010 10:04 PM

We a spyder in town and I have looked at it. The top seems for emergency use at best as it does not look like it would keep all water out in a rainstorm. I have also heard people say that to take the top on or off is a ridiculous number of steps, but then most people only buy this sort of car for fair weather use only. Just my .02. Joe

Shark Attack 06-25-2010 10:11 PM

I made the jump to a 996. The are at bargain basement prices right now. Like the 928 a lot of car for the $$

17K for this one and sold all my 928 stuff for 10.

Landseer 06-25-2010 10:19 PM

Damn that's nice.

ptuomov 06-25-2010 10:19 PM

Poor bastard 996. Porsche buyers are picky. Wrong looking headlights and the resale value goes down the tubes.

The 996 Turbo is probably a decent car for the money at this point as long as one doesn't give a F about the headlights.

I am sticking with the 928 because... just because. Because I want to. No other reason needed.

Vilhuer 06-25-2010 10:22 PM

Aston is modern day 928. Not much else comes close at having similar mix of sport and luxury.

Dean_Fuller 06-25-2010 11:00 PM

DRIVE the Boxster first. I am not a fan I must say. Ride is VERY ruff...not just sporty. Getting to the motor is a hassle. I know owning a 928...we should not talk about resale but good Lord.

The Aston is something to have. Not near as common as the Boxster and I think ...one of the BEST looking cars ever made.

ptuomov 06-25-2010 11:05 PM

On what planet is selling a German car and buying an English car an upgrade?!

;-)

Marine Blue 06-25-2010 11:06 PM

I'm not at all worried about the top of the Spyder, I don't drive the GT in the rain now and the Spyder wouldn't be any different. Something about having 320 Hp in a 2800 Lb car with enough luxury to keep me happy really is attractive.

I'm probably going to test drive a Boxster S just for comparison purposes. Depending on how that goes I'll know if the Spyder makes sense or not.

No interest in the water cooled 911. I drove a DE prepped 964 recently and although I thought it was really cool I would never buy one, it felt very outdated. I haven't driven a modern 911 but everything I've read makes it sound like a modern day 928 with the engine on the other side of the car. Prefer the 928's looks, balanced handling and build quality.

OBehave 06-25-2010 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 7688089)
:icon107:

I'm thinking along the lines of a an Aston Martin Vantage or Boxster Spyder.

The AM comes across as the modern day 928 and prices have fallen dramatically over the past year to reasonable levels. I have always been attracted to them but I'm not sure how they drive and feel on the road. I don't want something that is geared more towards luxury than sport.

The Spyder is much better suited for the driving in this part of the country since super high speeds and fast acceleration is nearly non existent without risking jail time. I like everything about it but I have to decide if the depreciation hit is worth it.

Anyways I guess I'll post an update when I decide what to do.

PLEASE keep us posted on your intentions.I vote for the Aston. Ed

JWise 06-25-2010 11:12 PM

I know what you're saying, Afshin. I'm smitten with the DB9, as is my wife. We'd love to have one someday. I agree the Aston is the spiritual successor to the 928.

Tom. M 06-26-2010 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Vilhuer (Post 7688155)
Aston is modern day 928. Not much else comes close at having similar mix of sport and luxury.

Big time +1....

and one car I will eventually own.. as I do the 928 :D