Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Thinking of Selling the GT for Something Newer (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/576258-thinking-of-selling-the-gt-for-something-newer.html)

Rob Edwards 06-26-2010 12:13 AM

Drove past a DB9 today on my way to lunch in the GTS. Damned good looking car, indeed. I would love to own one too.

pcar928fan 06-26-2010 12:15 AM

Yea, pic the AM... You mention Luxury in the same sentence at Boxster...maybe a Boxster with every option, but that is NOT the Spyder.

I'd take the AM FOR SURE...but I do prefer the DB9 over the Vantage in many ways. Both cars are GORGEOUS though! AM is making THE BEST looking cars on the market today, hands down!

mdkelly1 06-26-2010 12:18 AM

Aston Martin is a good car and strikes me as reasonable and modern replacement for a 928.

On the point of the 928 compared to the 996 (in this case a Turbo) and a Boxster; all three are very different cars with very different driving experiences.

Always loved the 928 and drive it every chance I get. Needs roads where it can stretch its legs appropriately:)

The Boxster has better (and more neutral) handling in the corners than either of the other two; at least that was my experience.

The 996 TT is a very fast car for almost any driver in its stock form, with good reliabilty based on the GT1 engine design. It has that "heart pumping/blood rushing" effect if you use all the gears (at least the first four anyway). It makes cruising the interstate an effortless experience; you don't even need to shift to pass, just put the pedal down a little.

The Boxster was a great "around-the-town" car, with a constant fun factor on very curvy roads and trips no longer than 100-150 miles. More trunk space than the Turbo. I will always appreciate the handling of the Boxster. I'd buy one again.

The 928 is a great long distance car, with great performance, and the best comfort of the three, and it turn heads wherever it goes. It is a special car and you know that every time you get into it and every time you drive it. It has its quirks and there's almost always something to fix, but that goes with the 928 ownership experience. Sometimes you are not sure if you own the 928 or it owns you, but there is something different about the owner/car relationship with a 928 than it is with the others.

I wouldn't give up the 928, mostly because of that special difference. Then again, the "need for that blood rush" makes the Turbo experience a must have as well.

Just my two cents.

Marine Blue 06-26-2010 12:37 AM

My true idea of luxury is Leather, Heated Seats, A/C and a Nice Sound System and better than average materials of construction. Beyond this is completely unecessary and IMHO it really takes away from the driving experience.

The alternative is to keep the 928, wait two/three years and buy a used Spyder after depreciation.

I like the DB9, nearly the same styling inside and out but with a V12. Also has back seats which is a plus for the kids. Smooth and more powerful is definitely a bonus but I do worry about reliability. Everything I've ever heard about V12's is that they are maintenance intensive and costly to maintain compared to a V8.

Marine Blue 06-26-2010 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by mdkelly1 (Post 7688406)
Aston Martin is a good car and strikes me as reasonable and modern replacement for a 928.

On the point of the 928 compared to the 996 (in this case a Turbo) and a Boxster; all three are very different cars with very different driving experiences.

Always loved the 928 and drive it every chance I get. Needs roads where it can stretch its legs appropriately:)

The Boxster has better (and more neutral) handling in the corners than either of the other two; at least that was my experience.

The 996 TT is a very fast car for almost any driver in its stock form, with good reliabilty based on the GT1 engine design. It has that "heart pumping/blood rushing" effect if you use all the gears (at least the first four anyway). It makes cruising the interstate an effortless experience; you don't even need to shift to pass, just put the pedal down a little.

The Boxster was a great "around-the-town" car, with a constant fun factor on very curvy roads and trips no longer than 100-150 miles. More trunk space than the Turbo. I will always appreciate the handling of the Boxster. I'd buy one again.

The 928 is a great long distance car, with great performance, and the best comfort of the three, and it turn heads wherever it goes. It is a special car and you know that every time you get into it and every time you drive it. It has its quirks and there's almost always something to fix, but that goes with the 928 ownership experience. Sometimes you are not sure if you own the 928 or it owns you, but there is something different about the owner/car relationship with a 928 than it is with the others.

I wouldn't give up the 928, mostly because of that special difference. Then again, the "need for that blood rush" makes the Turbo experience a must have as well.

Just my two cents.

David thank you for your reply. Since you know this area well I think you may understand my frustration with owning the 928 here. Have you returned to the cape?

Nicole 06-26-2010 02:25 AM

One should not forget that the CEO of Aston Martin used to be the Technical Chief at Porsche for a few years when the 928 was still going. He knows the 928, and probably realized its shortcomings and the market niche these cars can serve.

cold_beer839 06-26-2010 02:52 AM

Keep your GT.

Sorry, had to say it.

I have 'thought' of selling my GTS from time to time. But having an older, rare, and beautifully designed car in nice condition over rides having anything newer that will lose value and not give me the same feeling when driving it.

tv 06-26-2010 10:06 AM

Do you enjoy your car for you?

I never would drive mine in the rain either but I could care less about what other people think especially judges at some car show. Keeping it stock is not enjoying it to it's fullest. I have sat in them all, I have been on rides with them all, and I have driven some real nice cars. NOTHING is more enjoyable, unique, cooler than my 85 Euro.

First off, you have to uncork your GT. Sound is the #1 factor in sports car experience/ownership. Nothing sounds better than mine, some cars sound equally as nice in different ways, but not more fun. The GT engine is very similar to the Euro LH so my exhaust would make yours sound nice.

Second - why not sit in the best environment possible. Nothing beats the 928 for ergonomics and comfort. The moment I sat in a Vanquish S I was feeling letdown, not as special as the 928. So upgrade your 928 interior with CHAMPAGNE seats, wheel, dash, tunnel tray (mix alcantara and leather)..................... and replace all carpet with RR carpet.

Replace the suspension with what should be the ideal bits see Ptuomov's thread.

Replace wheels with widest wheels and best rubber possible.

So let's see, you are sitting in the best combo of luxury/ergonomics on the road, with one of the best sounds possible, in one of the most beautiful car bodies ever sculpted, and you can go way faster than is legal/possible to go in any car in this country. So what is missing??

Ahhhhhh yes. I know what is missing. Adulation and recognition from strangers. It's not an AM, Ferrari, or Lambo. Can't help you there, you either drive a car for what IT gives you or you drive a car for what other people give you because of the car. One consolation - the 928 was designed and built by some of the most talented automotive engineers and designers ever with cars like the 917 sitting in the same area while under development.

I would never own a rear/mid engined car for 2 big reasons - usually cramped cabin and nothing solid in front of you for protection. The only cars that interest me right now, but would not replace my Euro - One-77 and 599 GTO. Sound, GT Format, and build quality and design.

Here is the best value I have seen lately in the status nameplates - wow what depreciation and I would hate to have to fix that in the future - http://www.lfsc.com/2003-aston-marti...ish--c-177.htm

mdkelly1 06-26-2010 10:24 AM

Afshin,

I certainly understand the issue with not having enough appropiate open roads for the 928 in eastern MA. There's only one on the Cape and that's a challenge under most circumstances.

Been back for a month, but have to leave next week. Sorry I won't get to see you and the rest of the gang this time, and will miss seeing the 928 crowd at the Lars Anderson MOT in the fall.

I'll be very interested in what you decide re: the 928 GT vs. Aston Martin decision.

terry gt 06-26-2010 10:52 AM

+ 1 , what TV said . could not of expressed it better !

Marine Blue 06-26-2010 11:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
tv you bring up some good points. If the 928 stays I plan on overhauling the suspension and tightening everything up. The roads around here won't let me get carried away, they are absolutely awful and too stiff will result in a really bad driving experience. What I really want to do is improve its responsiveness. I don't get too much lean in corners as it is and I like the way it feels over bumps but it's a bit floaty which means shocks are going bad or just not stiff enough.

I could care less about others recognition. I bought my Speed3 because it puts a huge smile on my face and does what I need it to. No one has a clue what it is and I really like that. Took it to SITM and drove the Blue Ridge with it and loved every minute of it. My wife and I were astounded with how capable it is.

As far as customizing, that won't happen with this car. The car is a 99.9 out of 100 on the inside including a ton of custom leather/wood from the factory. (door sill carpets could be refreshed). The outside is 98 out of 100. With exception to a couple of hood scratches and a ding on the front fender the paint/body looks perfect. The factory wheels are also really nice and look great, can't bring myself to put something newer on there.

Truthfully the AM is my second choice, it is too similar to the 928. I really like the looks and interior but I could see myself having the same issues as I do with the 928 within a couple of years. (not being able to enjoy it on these roads).

The Spyder is what I'm leaning towards. Top down driving with sublime handling really is enticing. I didn't really get serious about this until a recent concours in Long Island when I saw this......

tv 06-26-2010 12:02 PM

But there you go with the approval of others when you say 99 out of 100 - that's concourse lingo and some judge handing you a ribbon. WHO CARES??!

Champagne leather seats with alcantarra contrasting color inserts with diamond stitching will look and feel even better than our already impressive factory recaro's. So what's that 110 out of 100? And seriously the exhaust HAS TO BE MODDED. Even at slow speeds, the burble down hill, the low V8 growl, and the shriek at 5800 is not matched by any other V8. The only other V8 that rivals mine is a 427 SO.

I know Mass roads, though I no longer live there, in fact the first place I saw an Aston V8 Vantage was on a friday night on the main street in Chatham. It, as nice as it is, does not have the presence of a 928 especially at night with our pop-up headlights. The 928 headlights alone are just so cool and so unique! Everytime, I pulled up alongside another car with the lights on, the passenger was always pointing.

Get on board with Hacker and lets get the vendors to carry the KONI FSD for us. The boxster, like the lotus, is no V8, is no GT. The merc SLS was just tested as superior to handling in a comparison to the 997.2 TT at a german course by a german mag. So so much for engine position with regards to handling. Wider front rubber will cure the understeer.

Nope the 928 has it all - looks, sound, luxury, wheelbase, low center of gravity, balance, and rarity.

Fix your exhaust and you will be smiling even around 128, but then get out and go to herb chambers cars & coffee and organize some rides up to central vermont. Really no reason to look any further, you have the best, if you unleash it.

Both the exhaust and wheel/tire mods are completely reverseable, just unbolt at the manifold and save your factory exhaust and bolt on the new SS spiral cats dual exhaust, same with wheels and wider rubber. Be like a whole new car with a huge smile across your face everytime you turn the key. You more than anyone on here, even compared with the gts low milers are a prisoner to some mythical and pointless showroom standard, live a little.

ptuomov 06-26-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by tv (Post 7688973)
Get on board with Hacker and lets get the vendors to carry the KONI FSD for us.

I'm in. I read about those shocks a little bit and they seem to be exactly what the doctor ordered for me.

Ducman82 06-26-2010 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ptuomov (Post 7688248)
On what planet is selling a German car and buying an English car an upgrade?!

;-)

in deed! :-P

dprantl 06-26-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by tv (Post 7688973)
The merc SLS was just tested as superior to handling in a comparison to the 997.2 TT at a german course by a german mag. So so much for engine position with regards to handling. Wider front rubber will cure the understeer.

Since when is engine placement behind the rear axle optimal for handling anyway? If that was the case, Formula One cars would have their engines back there. The SLS has the engine behind the front axle making it a front-mid placement. I'm really liking that SLS AMG, too bad it weighs like 3,600lbs...

Dan
'91 928GT S/C :eek: 475hp/460lb.ft