Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Thinking of Selling the GT for Something Newer (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/576258-thinking-of-selling-the-gt-for-something-newer.html)

SeanR 06-26-2010 12:20 PM

Man, reading that first post gave me wood. Thinking of buying a really cool car, and the thought that a Marine Blue GT might be for sale.............. Yummy

Marine Blue 06-26-2010 12:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
tv I admire your passion for these cars.

Truly my reason for doing concours is to have multiple eyes looking at the car and pointing out cosmetic deficiencies so I can continue to improve the car. I'm at a point now that what they're finding is silly (old black grease on seat rails). I decided years ago that I would prefer a car that is factory correct to get the experience the original designers were trying to create. I realize their intent was to drive the car fast and I do this as often as possible but there are no sweepers and a few long straights which are either heavily travelled or patrolled. This car really needs ludicrous speeds to appreciate it's capabilities. I think the new 911 may also fall into this category although I can't say for sure since I haven't driven one.

Hard to argue a Champagne interior but I really like my current interior and honestly I have no interest in changing it. See picture below.

I'm really not a fan of modding cars any more. When I was younger and had more time I modded my cars but what I found was all the changes created more problems and hassles rather than enjoyment. More importantly it was extremely hard to find someone that could repair or find parts once the mods were in place. Mods also created other deficiencies in the car, for example when bigger wheels are added the suspension will see more stress and wear the suspension parts faster. Shocks need to be beefed up to handle the added weight. I agree that exhaust would be a nice mod and something that could definitely change the feel of the car without impacting anything else. I may consider changing it if I hang on to the car.

Like I said, I truly appreciate your passion and I think it's people like you and others on this forum that makes the ownership experience even better.

A test drive of the Boxster will be telling.

khalloudy 06-26-2010 01:09 PM

I have both. The DB9 is a defacto modern 928... a real GT with a lot of luxury, little techno bits and a lot of power; a real joy to own and drive. However, I have kept my 928 and will always keep it... it is something else to own the 928... I say buy a DB but don't let go of the 928, you will only regret it.

tv 06-26-2010 01:27 PM

That's a beautiful interior, Afshin. So just open up the exhaust, update suspension, and see how it feels.

Some shots I like to make you forget that boxster; (keith sure took a big pic)

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/long_beach_26.jpg

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...k-mvc-008f.jpg

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...02-medium-.jpg

brianrheffron 06-26-2010 04:05 PM

Tuomo,
Keep up to date. Astons were untill recently part of the
Ford/ Jaguar group and both Jags and Astons are a world of
difference from the unreliable cars they were twenty or thirty years ago.
Check the J D Powers ratings where I think you will find Jaguar
ahead of Lexus, BMW and Mercedes. You will need deep pockets
to run an Aston as you would to run any supercar but today they aren't
any less reliable than their German equivalents.

Marine Blue 06-26-2010 06:43 PM

Well guys/gals I just came back from the Porsche Dealer. They happened to have a white Spyder in the showroom and they were nice enough to take it out for me. I have to say, it's an amazing car and the top down experience is truly amazing. I drove the 928 there so I could get a back to back experience. They loved the car and the sales guy knew them really well.

Soooo

I really liked the Spyder but not enough to make me want to sell the 928. The handling is absolutely spot on and it has incredible balance. There was too much traffic to really push the car but you could tell it is extremely capable. Power is similar to the 928 at the low end but when RPM's go up the car really takes off. Sport exhaust was incredible and really enhances the car. What I think I'm going to do is pick up an 08/09 Boxster S over the winter or next year and add to the stable instead selling the 928. I probably won't pursue the AM since it's too much like the 928 and I really want something smaller and lighter.

I have to say, the 928 was way ahead of its time and even now it feels really good. Some minor updates will make it even better.

Thanks for chiming in everyone, I really do appreciate the chat, opinions and experience.

inactiveuser1 06-26-2010 07:12 PM

Afshin,
Was at the dealer today too,it was their 1 year event for discount on parts and test drives.Seen a black spyder on the showroom floor really nice looking didn't drive that but it was my 1st time today to finally test drive the 997TT.2 With the pdk in normal mode it was in 7th in the 45mph area didn't look to where it shifted to 7th.I liked where you could just use the paddles to downshift without putting the shifter into manual mode.Once I stopped using the paddles it did go back out of manual mode to drive mode.I did go into the sport mode and sport plus to see how the revs changed and also the exhaust was just alittle change.If was only about 10 mile test drive but at least was able to see how the PDK worked.Still sitting in the 928 the seats seemed more comfortable but didn't play with the adjusments much to see what felt better.I didn't push the 997TT either but could feel even with alittle peddle that it wanted to fly lol.Would need more time in the seat of a 997TT.2 to make that one big purchase.Then on the way home seen a really nice Audi R8 in black was sitting next to it in traffic what a nice looking car also and sounded great.There are so many nice cars out there it is very hard to choose.

Marine Blue 06-26-2010 07:24 PM

Mark there definitely are some really nice cars out there. A 911 Turbo could definitely be a blast but I would be frustrated as hell driving a car like that in this area. The turbo's wouldn't even be able to spool up before I get stuck behind someone doing 10 under the speed limit.

I'm thinking a car with less power and more handling will be perfect. Have to try a few other cars before I definitely decide on the Boxster. Maybe even...gasp...a Miata.

IcemanG17 06-26-2010 07:43 PM

Afshin
Too funny....my toughest competition at the track yesterday was a white Boxster Sypder PDK, carbon brakes with PDK and a SWEET full leather dark red interior.... Generally I DON'T like the looks of the boxster.....but that spyder was SWEET......me likey!!! 320hp, 2860lbs and PDK will be quite fun to drive!!! For example the power-weight of the Sypder is 8.9 and my M3 is 8.7.....so its quite similar!!!

My advice is drive the Spyder and see what you think...... I must admit part of the reason I sold Sharky was buying the M3.......why.....other than the classic style of the 928....the M3 did everything better....

Moral to the story...do what makes YOU happy.....for example I would sell my M3 to have more $$$$ for racing....since I enjoy racing more than driving a nice street car....its all about making you smile!!

Hilton 06-26-2010 08:13 PM

A little different, but have you considered an Ferrari F355 or 360?

No overlap with the 928, fun drives and little depreciation especially if kept stock.

Marine Blue 06-26-2010 08:36 PM

Hilton does the F355 fee more modern? I absolutely love the looks of the 80's/90's Ferrari's but looking at the interiors and overall technology they seem like they would feel like tractors compared to the 928. Am I wrong? The 360 is awesome but price is a bit too high for me.

Brian the Spyder is really nice and honestly I haven't ruled it out but I have to say that selling the 928 would be tough. I know I wouldn't be able to replace it once sold and I have to be ok with that. I also would want to sell the 928 at a premium otherwise it's just not worth it to sell.

Ispeed 06-26-2010 08:49 PM

Afshin----------
With 2 kids you can't be serious about having a 2 seat sports car. It has to be at least a 2+2. If the whole family could never go with you then you are thinking like you are single or w/o kids. You need 4 seats.
I might as well buy another street bike... I wish I could.

Rob Edwards 06-26-2010 09:04 PM

Afshin, you ought to be able to find a nice '95 6-speed 355, post-header/valve guide repairs with a fresh major for $55-60K. And if you drive it on sunny days and take care of it, it'll be more or less flat on its depreciation curve. Good thing I don't fit in one or I would be awfully distracted by the prospect....

Hilton 06-26-2010 10:49 PM

Afshin, I haven't driven either - just sat in various Ferrari's. Hacker can probably give a good comparative 928 vs F355 driving experience.

Interior-wise, I don't like the lack of a full center console - just doesn't do it for me visually, and to me the F355 feels very much 928-era courtesy of its angular top and instrument pod, and huge airbag wheel.

I've been eyeing up F355's in a very noncommittal way - they're looking like a good entry into F-car V8 ownership, and based on previous generations, values should have plateaued, which makes them much more affordable to own (interestingly 308's and 328's are just starting to climb slightly it seems). I suspect the F355 will be better treated by collectors and enthusiasts than the 348.

I also sat in a 456.. actually felt more modern to me than either mid-engined car.. but it has a huge overlap with the 928, albeit with better rear seating..

But I'm not in the market for an F-car yet.. need to trim down the 928 fleet to one if I want to do that, so I'd have indoor space, and I'm just not there yet - too many modifications/upgrades to my 89 S4 DD to get done with first heh..

pcar928fan 06-26-2010 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 7689577)
What I think I'm going to do is pick up an 08/09 Boxster S over the winter or next year and add to the stable instead selling the 928. I probably won't pursue the AM since it's too much like the 928 and I really want something smaller and lighter.

I have to say, the 928 was way ahead of its time and even now it feels really good. Some minor updates will make it even better.

BEST IDEA YET!!! Then you will have what is STILL one of the best (especially in your case as your car is SO FREAKIN' AWESOME) Grand Touring cars EVER BUILT AND one of the best PURE SPORTS cars ever built!

I can't wait to see pics of them together filling out the stable! :thumbup: