Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Thinking of Selling the GT for Something Newer (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/576258-thinking-of-selling-the-gt-for-something-newer.html)

Rob Edwards 06-29-2010 03:57 PM

[Epiphany]

A funny thing happened on the way to swim practice. Somehow my DD minivan has become the troop hauler 4 days a week for the 6 kids on the swim team. So I'm (gasp) using both 928's as semi-daily drivers. There are plenty of corners of the parking lot that both shaded and relatively protected. And wow, neither car has stranded me on the side of the road yet.

It's a hell of a lot more fun driving to the hospital and the lab in a 928 than an Odyssey....

[/Epiphany]

Landseer 06-29-2010 04:12 PM

Similar here, Rob. Big 'burb rarely rolls these days. My wife and I are rotating an 84,5,& 6. They are running solidly after what ultimately just amounted to refreshing and reconditioning.

F451 06-29-2010 05:49 PM

Please buy the Spyder and then tell us all about it.

If for some reason you end up not loving it, sell it and move on (but I'm sure that won't happen).

You only live once.

F451 06-29-2010 05:52 PM

And I think the combo of a 928 and a 2 seat convertible like a Boxster, Miata, or Z3/4 is a great combo for any car enthusiast.

I'm hoping to score a Boxster one of these days. Or a Z4. No wait, a Boxster. No wait...

Tom in Austin 06-29-2010 06:26 PM

Funny ... a guy parked a Boxster next to my car at lunch today. When I came out he gushed for several minutes about how the 928 was what made him first aspire to owning a Porsche.

Wonder if anyone in the future will make that statement about a Boxster ?

hacker-pschorr 06-29-2010 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hilton (Post 7690018)
Afshin, I haven't driven either - just sat in various Ferrari's. Hacker can probably give a good comparative 928 vs F355 driving experience.

Nice timing, I was driving the 355 a few hours ago, spring shakedown (yes I know it's summer....)

It's hard to compare the two. The 355 IMO is a pure sports car, very light, nimble and that engine....8,000+rpm is intoxicating. Especially with the Tubi exhaust on my fathers car.
As others have pointed out, the 456 and 550 are a closer comparison to the 928. Where as the 355 is more of a Cayman S.

Brakes - be careful or you will smash your nose on the steering wheel.

Foot room is limited, as are most mid engine cars. My 6' 1" frame doesn't have a problem. Head room is about the same, if not a tad more in the Ferrari compared to a sunroof 928. The car my father owns is a targa GTS, I usually pop the top off.

Shifting - the gated shifter didn't take long to get use to, the notchy 1st and 2nd felt right at home :p
Actually once warmed up it's a nice shifting machine. Warmed up is the key just like any other vehicle.
The 355 being a dry sump with an oil temp gauge, it's easy to know when it's time to open her up.

Interior-wise, I don't like the lack of a full center console - just doesn't do it for me visually, and to me the F355 feels very much 928-era courtesy of its angular top and instrument pod, and huge airbag wheel.

My fathers car is full leather tan with black dash / pod. The overall quality is a slight notch better than the 928. Instead of cracked pod and threads on the steering wheel, the dash shrinks (just like the leather dash in my 81) and the plastic parts gets sticky. The previous owner of my fathers car had the interior removed by a dealer and re-covered. I have the receipt, was not a cheap job.

I've been eyeing up F355's in a very noncommittal way - they're looking like a good entry into F-car V8 ownership, and based on previous generations, values should have plateaued, which makes them much more affordable to own (interestingly 308's and 328's are just starting to climb slightly it seems). I suspect the F355 will be better treated by collectors and enthusiasts than the 348.

Be careful, the value of the "good" ones hasn't changed much in the past five years. Spending $20k more for a good one will pay off rather quickly. Many feel the 355 is the last of the "real" Ferrari's where the 360 is compared to the 996. Kind of hard to explain, production numbers play a part into this too.

My fathers car is on a 5 year timing belt interval (lots of debate on this one in Ferrarichat). Yes the preferred method is yanking the motor, which is a piece of cake. The entire rear sub-frame drops out with the transmisison, rear suspension etc... Makes it really easy to update everything like vacuum lines or anything else WYAIT.

Some people squawk at the 5 year service as overkill and a reason why Ferrari's are too expensive to own. I argue every 928 owner should treat their car the same way (without yaking the motor since access is easier). So yes, in 2 1/2 years I'll have the motor back out of the 355 and I'll again replace everything rubber. This time around I'm going to separate the engine/trans from the chassis cradle so I can have it blasted and powder-coated.

Yes some of the parts cause a double take, like a $130 thermostat and $600 plug wires.

There are known issues with exhaust manifolds (which I think I corrected on my fathers car, time will tell) valve guides (IMO this is a bit overblown).

You have to register to see the photos, here is the thread on the engine out I did last year:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=241877

SMTCapeCod 06-29-2010 09:03 PM

Speaking of Z3...M Coupe has a funky/fugly kind of appeal...

Scary thread...I'm actually thinking of selling my GTO to get into a 928 down in these parts....but I don't want to give up the extra performance....and (in my potential price range) the solidness of the '04.

:icon107:

Shark Attack 06-29-2010 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by dprantl (Post 7689002)
Since when is engine placement behind the rear axle optimal for handling anyway? If that was the case, Formula One cars would have their engines back there. The SLS has the engine behind the front axle making it a front-mid placement. I'm really liking that SLS AMG, too bad it weighs like 3,600lbs...

Dan
'91 928GT S/C :eek: 475hp/460lb.ft

With all respect Dan, I am not talking ****.. I have infact driven a 928 for 4 years and my 996 for 6 months. I woudl put my stock 996 up against a stock 928 on a twisty any day. You have no idea how evident it is what the 928 was actually built for until you drive a 911. Dont get me wrong both cars excel very well in what they were ment to do. In most of the commercials for the 928 a commen thing was always mentioned or hinted and that is that the 928 was meant for the driver and a passenger to get in the car and go from point a to point b in comfort as fast as they could.My god they even Ac'd the glovebox for the wifes Chocolates.. While the 996 (911) was made to go around a track as fast as possible.. This became more evident than I can express after I got my 996 and still had the 928 and would drive both..

The 996 you get in and you Go.. and you go like a bat out of hell.... he car does exactly what you tell it do.It feels light, Nymbal.. The 928 when you sit in the drivers seat you can just feel the comfort. You become one wiht the car. The straight line perfomance is out standing. The cruising performance and comfort is increditble.. When the 996... Going down the road its bouncy,,, But when you tell it to make a left turn on a dime.. It does it... Although the 928 has a very positive steering feel, It doesnt feel near as positive as the 996.. Thus why I say the 996 is made for the track.. Both cars are absolutly brillant in doing the job they were built to do.

hacker-pschorr 06-29-2010 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by SMTCapeCod (Post 7697597)
Speaking of Z3...M Coupe has a funky/fugly kind of appeal...

2001 Z3 M-Coupe is on my short list of cars I will own.

tv 06-29-2010 11:22 PM

Afshin should buy and drive whatever car makes him happy, so should everyone.

But I am realizing as I read these latest posts that there are way too many versions of the 928 in way too many levels of repair, for anyone to say "the 928" does this or looks like this.

Mine is a Euro with full leather and an optional transmission and LSD. It has also been lightened a bit (and euro's are lighter to begin with), improved a bit, and it sounds so good because it's a Euro combined with the very unrestricted exhaust that I built. The leather is better than the leather in any car I have experienced, way better than the merc I had, better than new porsches, and bmws................. My car was also garaged most of its life. Both rear wheels break free any time I was in a hurry. It stays with 996's and beats many cars it shouldn't.

Other non-928 people may only experience seeing some neglected examples just lying around or a poorly running early version. Even in this group here, there is a real big difference in experience with gearing, non-leather interiors, engines, constant trouble or smooth sailing. All these things make up our viewpoint and not too many will be the same.

Marine Blue 06-29-2010 11:24 PM

Hacker thank you for the reply and details on the 355. After reading your description it does sound really appealing. You bring up a really good point, the 355's in my price need work cosmetically and mechanically. It's not major but it's enough that I know the cost will be higher than I would want to spend. I will also need to get a partial loan and I know from experience that loans on 10+ year old cars are really hard to get with low rates. I'm not a fan of BMW's otherwise the MCoupe or M Convertible would be on my list. I do like the Z8's but unfortunately the prices haven't dropped dramatically.

Something I never brought up earlier. When I was 15 I wanted a Miata because it captured everything I wanted from a car. Fun with no gimmicks. I didn't love the styling but I didn't care. Unfortunately I never did buy it as it wasn't practical and the dream faded from memory. The Spyder has somehow captured me the same way the Miata did as a kid. The more I think about it the more I want it. Even better is the fact that I really like the styling. It felt really natural to drive it, scary actually. I guess Im just ready to move on. I just wish I was in a position to have multiple cars but three is already too much and a fourth at this point in time just doesn't make sense.

Anyone looking for a nice GT? Preferably someone that will sell it back to me in about 5 years!

pcar928fan 06-29-2010 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tom in Austin (Post 7697187)
Funny ... a guy parked a Boxster next to my car at lunch today. When I came out he gushed for several minutes about how the 928 was what made him first aspire to owning a Porsche.

Wonder if anyone in the future will make that statement about a Boxster ?

Unless it was a NEW Boxster you should have then followed him out of the parking lot and proceeded to whip him like a red-headed step child on some acceleration runs! LOL!!!

NeverLate,

Z4's are UG-LY get a Boxster! Way more class and good looks! Miata is not a bad choice and cheaper still! Take the Miata over ANY of the BMW convts (except an E46 M3 or 6 series convert) ANY DAY and TWICE on Sunday's! ;)

khalloudy 06-29-2010 11:37 PM

The DB9 is probably the sexiest modern GT money can buy hands down. The exterior is stunning. The interior very well designed, simple, functional, comfortable (well rear seats excluded). The engine, sound, handling are also beyond reproach. For the money, the DB9 is untouchable any way you look at it.

The 928 is the origin of any modern GT car. In its own way, it set the GT standard that current GTs are perfecting. Always remember it is a 70s design. It will always be a timeless classic, a piece of art. It looks great and will always do so. It is comfortable. It is pretty reliable for a car in its class and age.

If you love the 928, you will just love it. If you want another Grand Tourer, the DB9 is the only true GT out there today and in a class by itself. If you want a sports car neither Aston Martin nor the 928 will ever fit the bill.

Nicole 06-29-2010 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 7697937)
Anyone looking for a nice GT?

Could it be retrofitted with a rogerbox? :evilgrin:

Marine Blue 06-29-2010 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nicole (Post 7697979)
Could it be retrofitted with a rogerbox? :evilgrin:

Absolutely not! :p

But seriously, it needs the right home. Someone who is willing to maintain it's current condition. Even better if that someone was willing to keep showing it. The car gets tons of attention at car shows and concours. In fact the comment I hear most when people get a peek inside the car is "holy ****". I can't count how many times I've heard that. Many think its modified until they see the window sticker. :cool: