924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 04:14 PM
N421LV
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change?

I'd like to start doing a bit more of the maintenance on my 924S myself, and thought I'd start with changing the oil. I know where the drain plug and the filter are....are there any tricks or gotchas that I should watch out for?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:18 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. no prob. my reccomendation: since the oil filter is inverted, buy one with a backflow valve. it's worth the $8.00 Genuine Porsche filter. I've seen the aftermarket STP that had it. maybe the mobil 1. open it up, check it out, and if it's got a visible spring inside, it's got the valve. if you don't use a filter with a backflow valve, it'll drain the oil out of the filter and the system above the filter will run dry.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:20 AM
'88-924S
Racer

The filter is MUCH easier to get off after removing the brake fluid res., not hard just an extra 30-60 seconds, drain plug right under the engine, you'll see it. I recommend replacing the washer each time with a copper one. I use ramps up front and can do an oil change in about 20 or so minutes. Most of the time is spent waiting for the nearly seven quarts to drain. It's a breeze and it's a good place to start getting familiar with the car. Good luck and don't stop there, our cars can be much more affordavle to maintain and a whole lot of fun when you do the work yourself.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:38 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The filter is MUCH easier to get off after removing the brake fluid res.,
Do you mean the power steering res?

Oil changes are a good way to start getting to know your car and helps to diagnois any problems while you are under there. The filters that i believe are OEM and reccomended by porsche(??) are the Mahle, pretty cheap like
$5 a piece from some websites. I just ordered a pack of 10 delievered for $50.

And im surprised nobody mentioned the famous oil 'throw up' from the filter. Due to the design of the filters when you are unscrewing it the oil inside of it is going to leak out. I normally jam a rag down there all around the filter to capture the leaking oil....

Goodluck!
Erich
Old 09-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I started with oil changes, and moved on to rebuilding the whole engine. it's sooooo fun. if your car needs it. DON'T TRASH IT! just get either a haynes manual, a factory manual or both, a gasket set (genuine Porsche preferably) and go out and have a blast. It takes approx. 12 hours to get the engine out of the car if you do it right. if you do it wrong, it's not the taking out thats a bitch, but the re-installation. (hint: REMOVE THE WIRING HARNESS FROM THE DME, not the wires from the engine)
Old 09-19-2003, 01:31 AM
'88-924S
Racer

Do you mean the power steering res?

YES, I had just checked the Brake Fluid Res, before I posted, was still on my brain. Also, a rag stuffed under and around the filter is a must.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:21 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Easier too to get to filter with headlights in the up position.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:38 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never tried that before...ill have to give it a shot in the spring...
Old 10-04-2003, 02:48 PM
Dennis Wilson
Drifting

I let the local tire shop change my oil (I provide filter). While they are changing the oil/filter I check the other areas (transmission, struts, shocks, suspension etc). It costs about $3 more than changing it myself but it's worth it to not have to mess with the used oil. If the shop won't let you in the bay during your oil change, don't use them.

Dennis

Quick Reply: Oil Change?