Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to dispose of old parts/fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:53 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 545 Likes on 408 Posts

I usually have no issues with combining basic oil products like engine oil, gear oil, and ATF or transmission oil. I'm careful not to contaminate that with brake fluid or coolant, though. Coolant contamination trashes a whole load of waste oil. Do your recycle place a big favor and don't make coolant soup.

Local WalMart accepts batteries for recycle. Most parts stores will too.

Our local county waste/recycle center takes all of the fluids plus paint. At our previous location in SoCal, the county FD was open for any of this on alternate Saturdays; drive in, pop the hatch, and they would offload and sort. Easy as pi.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:10 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

If you want to get a 10.00 store credit at AutoZone take your old battery there. They'll give you 10.00 for it.
Please don't take your oil milkshake to my store. It'll go right in the trash. Store personnel are supposed to watch out for that. Gasoline in the oil is a no-no too. When the recycle people put a probe into the tank, they check for PCB's and water/coolant and gas. If it is too much, they charge about 3500.00 to the store for hazardous waste removal. We had a guy drop off some oil, it turned out to be transformer oil from electrical pole transformers. It was heavily laced with PCB's. It looked OK, but it wasn't. We had to get a certified special hazardous waste guy to cart it off. A major PITA for our store and other customers. Nobody could drop off their oil for about 6-8 weeks because of it.
Hydraulic fluid, gear oil, motor oil,and ATF are OK. Thanks.. my 2 cents
Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
We had a guy drop off some oil, it turned out to be transformer oil from electrical pole transformers. It was heavily laced with PCB's. It looked OK, but it wasn't. We had to get a certified special hazardous waste guy to cart it off.
Damn, that's a really selfish move. That stuff is seriously hazardous. Not only was he sticking the store with the bill to dispose of his problem, he was potentially risking the health of unsuspecting store employees.

Always gotta be some ******* out there trying to ruin it for everyone else. This is how you end up having to show ID just to drop off used oil.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:14 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
Turns out that in DC I can take it to the "Ft. Totten transfer center", parts, fluids, the whole ball of wax. Not as good as Canada but I'll take it.

I hope they keep the fluids separated so the oil can be recycled.
Lucky you. Where I live I can legally drop off solvents and fluids just one day a year.

Quick Reply: Where to dispose of old parts/fluids?