Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank isn't venting

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:28 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Gas tank isn't venting

Yesterday I noticed that when I turned off my car, I heard a liquid gurgle coming from back near the filler neck of the gas tank... I got out and went to check the gas cap - only to find that when I took it off, air pressure came out of the tank.

Anyone else have that happen? I'm assuming the vent line is some how clogged up.

I'll let you know what I find.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:05 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

It happens to my track car all the time i.e. the tank develops a positive pressure. This used to be counterintuitive to me, as I thought the tank pressure would reduce as gas was consumed. But I've since decided that the gas bypassed at the fuel pressure regulator under hard hot driving conditions is heated up, returned to the tank, and the total volume of the gas is increased due to it being heated.

My track car has the line that would normally go to the charcoal canister vented locally at the rear of the car. There are multiple chances for failure in the stock setup. I don't profess to understand how the system at the front of the car works but for instance if the heat activated vacuum valve at the rear engine heater hose connection stops working, I'm not sure the system would ever activate. Various check valves at the rear of the car. And on and on. It seems like a lot of hardware and complexity compared to a gas cap with a hole in it!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:28 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm assuming the vent line is some how clogged up.
Certainly think you are on the right track here. Are all of your stock items still in place? Curious to learn what you find. I deleted all of mine several years ago and just have a filter on the end of the line under the hood now.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:01 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Having a filter on the open line under the hood sounds like a recipe for disaster....don't most people feed the line to the dirty side of the air box?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Yeah, on my track car I have the vent line open to atmosphere are the back of the car.

This car, however, is my street car, which has all of the factory emissions stuff in place.

Here it is, 4th of July parade ready!
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2017, 11:53 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Having a filter on the open line under the hood sounds like a recipe for disaster....don't most people feed the line to the dirty side of the air box?
In reality (at least on my car) it's probably not as bad as it sounds. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the line is not continuous from the tank to the filter I have installed. There isn't even a hint of fuel smell even if I put my nose right up to the filter. So long as it's vented and not leaking, I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about it.

Cars look great Van!
Old 06-23-2017, 01:15 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
I disconnected the line going from the tank to the emissions under the hood and fed it to the dirty side of the air box like odonnell. It's a tidy solution for a street car.

On my track car I fitted a tip valve on the tank and removed all the vent lines. The tip valve allows the tank to vent to atmosphere when it is not on its roof
Old 06-23-2017, 01:26 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Isn't it normal to have pressure come out of the tank? All my vehicles have done that. Except no gurgling that I recall.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:30 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

My 87 Scirroco used to build up so much pressure it would make people jump back when opened. My 84 944 builds up pressure too (rare un-cracked tank , if the S2 does it's only slight.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:51 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Van - check the vent line that comes out of the tank. It might be pinched between the tank and the frame. I have this issue with my race car from time to time. If the tank starts to expand it pinches the line which make it worse. There is zero clearance between the tank and the frame but somehow my vent line found it's way between there. Might be worth looking into.
SC
Old 06-23-2017, 06:21 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I believe the rear 'vent' is an inlet as fuel is consumed.

you might give the charcoal canister a shake to see if the pellets have been set free, thus clogging up the plumbing.

shake any jug of fuel and it will build vapor pressure. shaking up your fuel tank should push the excess pressure towards the charcoal and, of course, after you are warmed up, the engine vacuum 'purges' the vapor from the charcoal.

generally speaking.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Good call on the vent line from the tank to the dirty side of the airbox. Might have to run a new one to do that...pulled mine out when I pulled all the brake and fuel lines..Getting rid of the emissions stuff, canister etc.. still like the idea of a hole in the gas cap though..
Old 06-27-2017, 03:27 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Good call on the vent line from the tank to the dirty side of the airbox. Might have to run a new one to do that...pulled mine out when I pulled all the brake and fuel lines..Getting rid of the emissions stuff, canister etc.. still like the idea of a hole in the gas cap though..
The only bad part about that is that you lose gas, as in thats money evaporating on a hot day. I left my stock system in place, despite its complexity for this reason alone. I get 15.5mpg already, i don't need it to be worse lol.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:05 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I've taken apart the little 3-way fitting from the vent line to the charcoal canister to the recirc valve / intake manifold... and, after removing the fuel cap, used compressed air to blow into the vent line and the charcoal canister. The vent line seemed clogged and took some pressure to clear... the charcoal canister had some water in it that blew out.

So far, it seems to have solved my gurgle noise.

Quick Reply: Gas tank isn't venting