Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to dispose of old parts/fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:25 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where to dispose of old parts/fluids?

The gas station/repair shop down the road used to allow the drop off of old parts and fluids, now they don't.

The auto parts stores like Advance will only accept oil and you have to take the container back with you.

Is the only option to find another repair shop that'll play ball?
Old 06-29-2017, 08:42 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Call your Department of Sanitation. They may have a residential recycling drop off center that accepts waste oil, batterys, Paint, scrap metal, and tires.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:21 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

For oil, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc. and trash/recycle the jug when it's empty.
For antifreeze, local hazardous waste or the water department sometimes allows you to drop it off.
For plastic parts, local recycling center.
For metal parts, local scrap yard.
For everything, an ad on craigslist and in a minute you'll have a line of meth heads ready to take anything. Give them a box of metal and tell them they have to take everything to get it. It even works to get rid of whole shells of cars (don't ask how I know).
Old 06-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
For oil, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc. and trash/recycle the jug when it's empty.
For antifreeze, local hazardous waste or the water department sometimes allows you to drop it off.
For plastic parts, local recycling center.
For metal parts, local scrap yard.
For everything, an ad on craigslist and in a minute you'll have a line of meth heads ready to take anything. Give them a box of metal and tell them they have to take everything to get it. It even works to get rid of whole shells of cars (don't ask how I know).
Rather than running to all different locations, I'd rather just put up one CL ad and reel in the methheds.
Question is, what ingredient (brake fluid, oil, p/s fluid, brake pads etc) is the most attractive to get them to come out?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:58 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

find a pick-n-pull junkyard.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:19 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
I'd rather just put up one CL ad and reel in the methheds
Jesse Pinkman will come take it
Old 06-29-2017, 12:55 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Some shops heat with used oils and brake fluid. Try asking around.

Steel parts aren't generally worth it nowaday for anyone trying to make money recycling them. For aluminum (and perhaps other metals), you can either haul it to a yard that pays by the pound or find someone who will haul it for you. I accumulate junk transmission cases and when I have a good pile, give them to someone who hauls 'em for me and makes some money for themselves that way.

Good on you for being conscious of the importance of recycling!
Old 06-29-2017, 01:18 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Rather than running to all different locations, I'd rather just put up one CL ad and reel in the methheds.
Question is, what ingredient (brake fluid, oil, p/s fluid, brake pads etc) is the most attractive to get them to come out?
Metal, particularly non-steel metals like aluminum or copper, probably. That and dead car batteries are probably good to throw in there. They can get money out of those things; the rest they're probably just going to dump in a toilet or a river.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:59 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

You can drop everything off at Al Gore's house.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:47 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
You can drop everything off at Al Gore's house.
Awesome!!
Old 06-30-2017, 03:02 AM
dannyzabolotny
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I need to get rid of a bit of coolant/ATF/diff fluid, I just mix it all in with the used motor oil. As long as you shake the jug around a bit, it'll all combine into one gross brown mass that can pass as oil. Take that to Autozone, problem solved. I've been doing that for years. Still better than pouring it in the ground IMO.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:44 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny
If I need to get rid of a bit of coolant/ATF/diff fluid, I just mix it all in with the used motor oil. As long as you shake the jug around a bit, it'll all combine into one gross brown mass that can pass as oil. Take that to Autozone, problem solved. I've been doing that for years. Still better than pouring it in the ground IMO.
That's actually a good idea for fluids but now I'm curious, what do the collection places do with all the old oil?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:58 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks like we are spoiled in Canada. Canadian Tire (which is everywhere) accepts all fluids and batteries (and paint cans while you're at it). In many neighborhoods there are scrap collectors that pass regularly and pickup metal, I just wait until I have a enough that it can be noticed when they drive by and I place it close to the sidewalk in my driveway and it disappears, usually the same day, never more than 2 days. In fact you have to be careful to not leave stuff that you want to keep too close to the sidewalk...
Old 06-30-2017, 10:52 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

That's actually a good idea for fluids but now I'm curious, what do the collection places do with all the old oil?
Used oil actually has some value, since it can be re-refined into base stock for producing new oil.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SloMo228
Used oil actually has some value, since it can be re-refined into base stock for producing new oil.
Turns out that in DC I can take it to the "Ft. Totten transfer center", parts, fluids, the whole ball of wax. Not as good as Canada but I'll take it.

I hope they keep the fluids separated so the oil can be recycled.

Quick Reply: Where to dispose of old parts/fluids?