Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy LT-1 in 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 05:42 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
i never hear anyone picking on turbo s2 projects but i'd be willing to bet that a turbo, an intercooler, and the piping involved would put my car really close to the weight of an aluminum v8 swap (if not exceed it).

How do you figure, ever held any of these parts? My T04E weighs well less than 15 pounds, intercooler may weigh 10, and the piping is less than 1 pound. For the mostpart the aluminum V8 swap is not that much over stock (I have read 52/48) and even that is still pretty darn good. If you go that way let me know, I would love to have an S2 motor.
i had figured ~50lbs for all the turbo stuff. i have held turbos and they have felt much heavier than 15lbs but i don't really know how big a t04e is so i can't really say. i figured that with the extra ~50lbs of turbo stuff and the s2 engine (which is not that light as it is), you'd be pretty close to an aluminum v8
Old 12-27-2003, 05:45 PM
dmsog
Instructor

I just shipped an intercooler and the weight, including box, was 22 lbs.

Doug
Old 12-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info Doug! I know the piping to have no real weight, less than 2 pounds, and I weighed the turbo, the only unknown was the IC.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:33 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All i have to say is good luck to whom ever takes on these projects, i would love to but dont have the $$$ to attempt it I absolutely agree with dualblade, the only real downside is the engine... So goodluck Canuck

Mark
Old 12-28-2003, 12:10 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jp944

There's always a left wing and right wing to every organization. In our little society, I think the left wing is putting SBC power to their 944s. The right wing thinks 944s are Audis. In the middle you'll find the pragmatists that say it's cheaper to buy a 951. Who's right? I don't know...we're all family.
Maybe a disfunctional family...

Who's right? I am.

Buy a 951 and do it up, but keep the parts you take off so you can put it back to stock when you sell it.

Actually, you can do whatever you want as long as you don't butcher it.

I'm just amused by the guys who think they can save money by converting an N/A to a turbo.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:37 AM
Flying V
Track Day

Default My Swap Project

ok... Here's my LT-1 swap. I would be happy to answer any specific questions. I did 95% of the work myself. This has been quite the educational experience and I've learned more than I thought was possible about the GM LT-1. Some of this project was frustrating and some was quite fun. It took a couple of years (mainly because of distractions) and I recently covered it up to store it away until spring...
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2003, 02:06 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 02:14 AM
Flying V
Track Day

Default One more shot...

Another photo from the other side of the engine bay...
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Gerry
Racer

Thats one beautiful installation. How does she handle? Are the manual brakes all that scary? Any pix of the exhaust system?
Old 01-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Bob Ward
Racer

Default Chicago Area?

Great looking install!

I'm near WI border in IL, maybe this summer I will take a road trip up there and we can compare swaps. Or you could cruise down here, I'm sure some of the local rennlist guys would like to see it as well!

I know there are some 928 guys up in WI somewhere I have been meaning to visit, maybe make a WI cruise weekend trip once the weather is nice!
Old 01-04-2004, 03:53 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nine-44 did the 951 swap into his n/a- total cost, around 3-4000. The guy who he bought the motor from swapped in an Lt-1, total cost, around 12,000 dollars. We just cant wait to see the look on the guys face when he gets spanked by his own motor.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:07 PM
ryans
Racer

My best friend sunk about $12-14k into his 88 Turbo. K27 Turbo, Injectors, huge waste gate, ArcII etc.. It was fast and made about 330 Horsepower. Anyway you look at it, Power costs money. Whoever spends the most money is going to get the most power.

12k on a lt-1 sounds reasonable for the amount of power he can lay down. Add another $1500 into that engine and you've got another 70-100 horsepower. Nitrous even more.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Bob Ward
Racer

Flying V

What are going for headlights?? I don't see the bar or the headlight motor?

I could not fit them in mine so I a scheming on best fixed headlight options!
Old 01-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Flying V
Track Day

Thanks for the compliments. Gerry: I replaced the front springs to help with the added weight. Handling is not bad... The added torque actually makes the front seem lighter during acceleration. The brakes are an area that needs to be addressed. I would not take this car to the track with the current stopping ability. I have some "sticky" pads that I will put on for the short term, but plan to upgrade to larger rotors. Exhaust is a custom stainless Y-pipe from the headers into the the stock cat/muffler. This setup is almost too quite during normal driving. I could get some underbody shots in spring... Ryans: That 944 looks great. I decided on the LT-1 after my second engine went. For about the cost of a good quality re-build I've increased my power and reliability. However, it still pains me to say that, as I'm generally not a fan of GM power. Reality is this - The LT-1 is very difficult to find parts for, they do cost a premium and there are many unknown "flavors" of LT-1 engines/options. The LT-1 wouldn't have been my first choice if it wasn't for the Renegade kit. I've discovered quite a few "experts" on GM mechanics that are absolutely clueless when it comes to LT-1 options/tuning. Bob: Very observant! Yes, the stock lights were removed because of clearance issues. I've kept the Porsche A/C and power steering on a custom serpentine system. This photo shows my current setup using modified GT Racing light buckets & Lexan covers. I was unhappy with the GT Racing square bulb setup and decided to try something different...
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2004, 12:55 AM
Canuck
Intermediate

Update -

Has been a tough winter and my ISP appears to be collapsing, so e-mail has been hard to get/send e-mail, thus slowing down this transplant.

Have finally found a used engine I am willing to put in the car...an LT-1 from a 1997 Pontiac Firebird, with 31.000 miles on it. It was shipped Dec. 22, from San Fran but did not arrive Amity, Oregon until yesterday, thanks to rotten road and mountain pass conditions.

Am sending the wiring harness to RenegadeHybrids in Vegas for mods to fit the Porsche 944. Am also going to replace the OBD-II with an OBD-I unit.

Have purchased the kit from Renegade with the coated headers, larger radiator, new bell housing & clutch, other necessary bells & whistles. so will be starting removal of Porsche engine next week preparatory for installation of the Pontiac mill.

Will try to update more frequently if I can get this e-mail program straightened out over the next short while.

Just in case anyone needs to e-mail me about anything, e-mail has changed to JGBS@access4less.net.

Best to all, and a good new year,

Canuck

Quick Reply: Chevy LT-1 in 944