Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launching experiences... (burnout or lack thereof)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 03:57 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Launching experiences... (burnout or lack thereof)

So... I'm trying to figure out if my experience is normal, or if I've got something new to look into on the 951. The bottom line is.... failure to launch. Now, to be honest I do have a healthy respect (or fear?) for the R&P on these, so I've never done a launch from like redline or anything. But I have tried to launch from around 4k.... and pretty much nothing happens. No wheel spin, and not even a whole lot of takeoff. Basically, it just instantly drops my RPM's to about 1k, and I build up again from there. Just about the same experience as if I'd been moving a little bit and floored it from 1k.....

Is that normal for decent tires and LSD? Do you have to launch from up around 5-6k to get a "real" launch? I don't think I'm slipping my clutch, cause my RPM's drop like a rock. And I've NEVER been able to break the tires loose (shifts to 2nd at 5.5k aside). But I see post about burnouts, I don't think mine can even DO that. Is that normal, or do I have something up?

I kinda get the feeling my tires are just sticky enough that with the LSD I'm getting just too much traction. So instead of really launching I'm just bogging. Clutch is new, and is a bit grabby in 1st and reverse. I really don't have enough travel in "engage" part the pedal to have a lot of control on slip. It's mostly either disengaged, or engaged, without much between. I use the throttle more than the clutch when getting going. Since my other is an automatic, I have nothing to compare to. Looking for input...

Last edited by 951Dreams; 05-30-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:01 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

I have to let it go at 5000 rpm, with a litle clutch hold, but the car has so much grip, it feels like raping the car.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:15 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only do it rarely, but my S doesn't have much trouble getting wheelspin on a hard launch. I don't have LSD and my tires aren't anything that special (high-performance all-seasons, so better than a standard passenger car but definitely not a sticky race tire).

Are you just dumping the clutch? That's going to be pretty rough on the drivetrain and, as you discovered, it drops your RPM and takes you out of boost. On manual cars, and especially turbo'd cars that tend to be weak off-boost, you want to feather the clutch a bit to help keep the RPMs up. If you just dump the clutch, you get bogging and a lackluster launch.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:12 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the reason I'm thinking of selling mine and I just got it. Without modding these cars they just aren't fast by any stretch of the imagination. From a dig, roll, 4K, 5k any k for that matter. Lol. I am hesitant of modding because the car just runs solid and is bone stock. I mean the car is a lot of fun and is somewhat quick but burnout? I'm not ready to dump 3k on a clutch. I was just expecting more out of it. They are nice cars though
Old 05-30-2017, 01:32 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never tried a hard launch - these cars are just not made for that. It's certainly not a long term repeatable event anyway.

Once rolling though, I hit full boost every chance I get.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:45 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

when the tires hook up, it sends a shock through the driveline...the rubber center is the weak point then ring and pinion teeth, ect.

burn outs should be limited to rental cars and your mothers buick.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:47 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

We used to run an autocross course that needed a good solid launch. I always found the best way was a slip-dump. With a good clutch, it feels really fast. Usually starting about 4000RPM slip the clutch for the half a second then dump the rest of it. I think that lets the driveline accept the force without impact loading it.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:06 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
burn outs should be limited to rental cars and your mothers buick.
true
Old 05-30-2017, 04:35 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by melman911
This is the reason I'm thinking of selling mine and I just got it. Without modding these cars they just aren't fast by any stretch of the imagination. From a dig, roll, 4K, 5k any k for that matter. Lol. I am hesitant of modding because the car just runs solid and is bone stock. I mean the car is a lot of fun and is somewhat quick but burnout? I'm not ready to dump 3k on a clutch. I was just expecting more out of it. They are nice cars though
While the R&P on the turbo cars is stronger than the N/A cars, hard launches are not its friend. These cars were just not designed for that.

If you were thinking of selling it because of its inability to hard launch or burn-out, do it now before it turns into a dogs breakfast and isn't worth what you've just recently paid for it.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:05 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
While the R&P on the turbo cars is stronger than the N/A cars, hard launches are not its friend. These cars were just not designed for that.

If you were thinking of selling it because of its inability to hard launch or burn-out, do it now before it turns into a dogs breakfast and isn't worth what you've just recently paid for it.
Lol! Not at all. I would never put a car like this or any other I've own through burnouts and other types of abuse like that. I guess what I meant to say is these cars don't have the power to do what the OP is wanting to. Stock or close to it there is a lot to be desired. Like a previous post said that's for rentals and mom's Buick. Honestly I bought a car that was more of something for a collector. I'm not a collector. The value in what I have is the fact that it is unmolested and in excellentt shape with relatively low miles. Very few of these cars in this type of condition and mileage left. I'll enjoy it for a little while longer and make little improvements here and there then try to get what I have in it.

Last edited by melman911; 05-30-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

if you really wanted to...
take ALL the stuff out of the trunk (tools, spare tire, carpet, etc)...

it'll do em, but it won't like it.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:34 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Turbo has a 3.36 ring and pinion and low compression ratio. Unlike a supercharger where engine speed controls boost a Turbo depends on engine load. It doesn't take much throttle to rev a Turbo engine to redline so no boost, hence poor launching.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:53 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

I'm not wanting to burnout per say, I was just wondering if my experience was normal or if I had something not right with the car. I had just read some post about people "burning rubber" and getting burnouts so I was thinking maybe I had some issue somewhere.

But it sounds like my experience is normal, especially with my slightly sticky tires and LSD. I haven't tried a launch at more than 4k, and to be honest I'm just trying to get an idea of the best way to launch these cars. Mainly just so I know HOW to, not that I want to do it often. I baby this thing to be honest.

I don't WANT to burnout!! That's just wasting power anyway, what I was trying to get at is if it SHOULD burnout when launched, and mine just wasn't.

I've got my answer, and I'm happy with that!
Old 05-31-2017, 05:03 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hit wheel hop /spin pretty easy, but I've got a 968 engine.

Go find some canyons and keep the car spooled up, you'll like your turbo more. These are not straight line cars really. They rip in the twisties though.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
I hit wheel hop /spin pretty easy, but I've got a 968 engine.

Go find some canyons and keep the car spooled up, you'll like your turbo more. These are not straight line cars really. They rip in the twisties though.
+1 True that! My last Trans Am I was going to build a 400 HP launch monster. Ended up building an autox King. Seems as I got older my interest shifted to a different kind of driving. I got a 944 for the handling (and the awesome styling). Thanks for the feedback! Glad my experience is normal.

Quick Reply: Launching experiences... (burnout or lack thereof)