Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out my nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:59 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check out my nuts

Hey guys, I need the assitance of the rennlist detective agency. Whover can solve this mystery will recieve the esteemed title of leading authority on Mike's nuts.

All joking aside, this weekend I tackled a big job; I installed new adjustable Koni's all around, new springs up front, bigger torsion bars in the rear, and while I had the rear suspension dropped I threw in a rebuilt torque tube.

Now, normally I'd be the **** mechanic the average person would expect a Porsche owner to be, and I'd bag and tag every bolt as to remember where it lives. This time though, I was excited, and I let the bolts and nuts fall as they came out of the car. "I've done this a million times" I told myself. "Every one of these bolts is an old friend, I couldn't possibly forget them."

So, last night, I button everything back up that I need to drop the car and check the ride height. (I got the torsion bars indexed right the first try!!), and I have the two nuts you see in the picture below left over. No idea where they go.

What I did to the car: Drop exhaust at manifold (all hangers dropped, drop CV axles, drop trans, drop rear suspension (brake lines and parking break disconnected), remove torque tube (all cross members dropped), reinstall torque tube (all cross memebers reinstalled), drop rear shocks, remove rear sway bar drop links and bolts, drop trailing arms, remove torsion bar caps, replace and index torsion bars, reinstall rear suspension, reinstall trans, reinstall CV axles, drop car.

What isn't done yet: Shift shaft and shifter not bolted in. parking brake cable not bolted together, brake lines not reconnected, shocks not installed.

Where do these nuts go? they're 13mm rounded at the top, I left them one on each side by the back wheels. My car is an '84 with steel trailing arms.

Thanks guys!
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

they sure look like the nuts that are used for hanging the exhaust from the torque tube u bolts.

only other 13mm i can think of, one per side, is the top-most mount for the rear suspension (the "banana arm" that mounts to a sort of cushion at the top of the wheel well with a bolt and nut to the chassis.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:16 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
...only other 13mm i can think of, one per side, is the top-most mount for the rear suspension (the "banana arm" that mounts to a sort of cushion at the top of the wheel well with a bolt and nut to the chassis.
+1 they look like rear banana arm mount bolts, one per side.
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 on the exhaust hanger bolts.

The linkage arm on top of the trans also uses similar, but maybe just 1, I forget. In general I think there are few for the exhaust, like the muffler hangers.
mikehayes
Racer

V2, I also had the same thoughts. I have all four bolts and nuts for the exhaust hangers. And the top banana bolts are in.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:20 PM
mikehayes
Racer

I'll check the muffler hanger because that makes a lot of sense since they're​ studs and I don't have bolts to go along with these. I'm pretty sure the nuts are on the studs though.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:31 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Sorry to change the topic, but V2 as part of this job I got the 26.8mm front sway bar. I saw an old post of yours recently saying you could modify the outer bushings from a stock bar so you can use the stock mounting points. This was my plan, do you just get a big drill bit and drill the holes bigger? Have you experimented with what diameter hole works best?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

I drilled the outer bushings because I have an "early car" with the aluminum hoop things holding the sway bar to the control arm.

I just used a big bit to fit my 25.5mm bar's end...
Old 03-21-2017, 10:02 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Welp, the exhaust and banana bolts are all accounted for.

Quick Reply: Check out my nuts