Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 11:04 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
...He believes there is more power to be unlocked but he needs to see the actual ignition advance to push the limits. I also one-upped that feature request with a recent hardware change that should be able to measure the ignition retard when the KLR senses knock.
-Joe
Thanks so much for this update, Joe. By "hardware change" is that something in the OBD+DME boards or your test hardware? If in the OBD+DME, will that update be incorporated into new orders moving forward... such as mine that's in the pipeline

Cheers,
Old 07-16-2022, 01:18 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Just curious.

With all the features you are adding do you think it’s possible to have enough data to troubleshoot shoot problems people have been having with the newer LR Mtune or utilize the Mtune hard for your future setup?

Unfortunately I am still behind with getting an engine back together but hoping it will happen sooner than later as I have so much stuff going on at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
riouxc (07-16-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 12:01 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the update!
Old 07-28-2022, 04:10 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I would appreciate it if someone that's pulled their DME from a turbo could explain exactly how it's supposed to be attached. When my son owned the 951 it went through several chip changes, and I think along the way it never got put back together correctly. I just installed the F9T Sport DME w/OBD+ (temporarily) and when I removed the DME it was only attached with one screw and speed nut (plus 1 screw that held the bracket for the alarm), whereas the PET indicates it should have 4 screws and speed nuts. Any images of how this is all supposed to go together would be great.

The Sport DME w/OBD+ is amazing as it's extremely useful to be able to view sensor outputs on real-time graphs. Looks like I have an issue with my NBO2 sensor as it always reads RICH at idle and never oscillates between RICH and LEAN like it should. I suppose this could also be an issue with the current chipset, which is from Transaxle Motorsports. If the fuel mapping is always too rich, then the DME might lack the ability to adjust the injection pulse width enough to lower the AF ratio. Joe has a nice video on YouTube to show how this is supposed to work:

Thanks for any info.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:17 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I have the original 951 ECU chip somewhere... I could burn it to a 28 pin chip... PM me if you need it.

These chips are getting hard to get, I ordered 10 blanks from China...
Old 07-28-2022, 05:51 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by riouxc
I think I have the original 951 ECU chip somewhere... I could burn it to a 28 pin chip... PM me if you need it.

These chips are getting hard to get, I ordered 10 blanks from China...
Thanks for the offer, but Joe included a stock 951 turbo chip with the DME. I might try it and see if it changes anything. Hopefully, he sent me one for the '89 Turbo (if that's any different than earlier years).

The 951 currently has a stealth MAF setup purchased from ProMax Motorsports in the UK back in 2005. It uses a Bosch MAF sensor and mounting adapter, which gets fed to the DME via a little converter harness that installs between the MAF sensor and the stock harness to the AFM. It's supposed to translate the MAF signal to mimic what the AFM would generate, but I've always suspected it may not be that accurate. The MAF came with the Transaxle chips. Prior to running this setup, it had Autothority chips w/banjo bolt restrictor, which was the configuration from the previous owner.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:22 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Wow, just out of curiosity I looked up the P/N for a M44.52 DME from Porsche, 951-618-121-KX. Cost? Only about $1900 PLUS a core charge of $1595. That makes the F9T DME truly the bargain of the century
Tiger03447 (07-29-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 01:36 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

I just ran my first log of my car and I am getting a Fly RPM Error 3. I did swap out new speed and reference sensors in May of this year and I have been getting a hunting idle sometimes. I also have been running lean but I was not sure if that was because of my setup or something else. Prior to getting the OBD+, i had put my FQS setting at the +2% setting. My WBO2 had a reading 15.8-16.2 at warm idle, 14.7-14.8 at 3k rpm and 10.8-11.2 at WOT.

I have not attached my WBO2 yet. It's still on my GFB EBC and I was monitoring it.

So my questions are: 1) what is the Fly RPM error 3 and does it have something to do with my lean condition, and 2) is there a virtual FQS or do I need to adjust it manually still?
Old 08-22-2022, 02:57 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by spencang
So my questions are: 1) what is the Fly RPM error 3 and does it have something to do with my lean condition, and 2) is there a virtual FQS or do I need to adjust it manually still?
I'm also getting a flywheel error but don't remember whether it was the Mark Sensor or RPM Sensor. It was a constant error count of 2 after startup.

The FQS is adjusted inside the DME.

My NBO2 sensor needs to be replaced as the voltage reading doesn't oscillate at idle but just stays in the 0.73-0.75 V range. I just got a new one from Porsche and will get that installed soon and see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't then the fueling in my DME program (Transaxle Motorsports chip) may be too rich at idle and the DME can't lean it out enough per input from the NBO2.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:03 AM
Sajan
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

Posting in here since no one knows ODB exists yet for the 911 ;-)

Got my 911 DME with ODB.

Car's running, drove about 30 miles on it. No drivability issues.

I had the laptop with me and I noticed a couple of things.
1. RPM is off by quite a bit on the FocusODB program. It's showing much higher. Idle shows 1300 or so while car is showing 800ish..and shows like 2900 when I am at 2000.

2. Flywheel sensor vehicle switches between unknown and 944 constantly.

3. Flywheel tooth count is fluctuating between 128-130 constantly. I believe 130 is the right count.

4. Operating temp seemed off too. 240F on the program but it was below 200F on the dash.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:20 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Sajan
Posting in here since no one knows ODB exists yet for the 911 ;-)
But maybe they know OBD
Sajan (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 11:32 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
But maybe they know OBD
Oops. Did it twice. haha.
Emailed Joe. He thinks the OBD module is not going into 911 mode. Going to look at the code when he gets back from vacation.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:22 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

MAF update request, please
Old 09-02-2022, 08:31 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 385 Likes on 146 Posts

HI everyone!

I just posted a fairly big update to the FocusOBD Software on the website; it is now a v0.25.270. The main change is the Beta for ignition advance, however, there are numerous other refinements and bug fixes. I strongly recommend everyone download this build. A lot of code has changed, so please report back if you encounter any issues or have comments.

Ignition Advance (Beta)

This feature took much longer to implement than I had expected and taking a week of vacation pushed it out even further. Writing the code was actually fairly easy, but figuring out where true TDC was proved to be a challenge. It turns out the “Mark” flywheel sensor outputs a signal way ahead of TDC, but there are no makings on the flywheel to indicate how many teeth the Mark signal is away from TDC. Initially, I tried to physically count the teeth through the bell housing access hole, but I could not be 100% sure which tooth edge was at TDC. I then wired up the third flywheel sensor that is specifically for measuring TDC, but it has two studs that only encompass TDC, you still need to know which tooth and edge is at TDC. I finally ended up buying a digital timing light with an ignition advance feature. I then modified the FocusOBD software and firmware so I could data log the tooth edge count from the Mark signal to the ignition signal. I adjusted the advance on the timing light until the TDC Mark on the flywheel lined up with the bell housing. I could then see the ignition was consistently jumping around three discrete positions: before TDC, at TDC, and after TDC. The FocusOBD’s data log linked these three positions to three specific sequential tooth edges. Then, it was just a matter of using the ignition advance setting on the timing light to calculate how may tooth edges where advanced, and subtracting that number from the center tooth recorded in the data log.

I implemented this feature earlier than I had planned at the request of Richard T. Garcia, owner of Dyno-Comp in Scottsdale Arizona. He has been tuning his truly awesome 400+ horsepower 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo using one of my OBD+ DMEs and a TurnerPro/Ostrich setup. He needed a way to verify if the ignition advance he specified in TurnerPro actually translated into the DME hitting that target. I will be heading over to his shop in a week or two to play around with it and see if the FocusOBD software agrees with TunerPro. If everything looks good, I will take this feature off Beta status. One interesting thing about how the DME regulates ignition, is that it will only fire the ignition coil on a rising or falling edge of a starter ring tooth. This means the resolution for changing ignition advance is exactly 1.384 degrees on the NA and 1.363 degrees for the Turbo. Richard tells me that on modern cars he generally expects to adjust timing in 0.5 degree increments, but 1.363 is workable. The good news is that I should be able to overcome this limitation when I implement ignition advance tuning next year. Until then, I need to get back to MAF development…

-Joe Baumbach

Last edited by Ftech9; 09-02-2022 at 11:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ftech9:
J1NX3D (09-03-2022), riouxc (09-02-2022), spencang (09-08-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 10:36 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 385 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by spencang
MAF update request, please
Not a lot has happened, I have been distracted with implementing the ignition advance feature followed by a week of vacation. I will have time next week to work on it, but I don't expect tangible progress until the following week.

-Joe
spencang (09-08-2022)

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)