Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 944 NA Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:59 PM
knucklehead12
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 944 NA Brake Upgrade

I recently picked up a 1989 944 with a blown engine. Planning to put more engine than stock back in it and was wondering about a brake upgrade. I see lots of stuff for early 944 upgrades and turbos, but nothing on late model upgrades. Most of the posts are several years old. I was wondering what options there were for this model. If there are existing posts out there, please point me to them.
Thanks
Lee
Old 11-16-2016, 10:43 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a post pretty high up on the forum about using Volvo 240 calipers on the front of an N/A.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:28 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest, the stock brakes are rather good. Here's what I'd recommend in terms of upgrades, from cheapest/easiest to most expensive/hardest:

- Rebuild the stock calipers, install good performance pads and stainless lines.

- Volvo 240 4-piston calipers

- Wilwood caliper kit (from Rennbay)

- Turbo brake conversion

There are also other possibilities out there, a guy called xschop has made a number of conversion kits using Boxster calipers, Lexus calipers, etc.

Or go crazy and just fit the biggest rotors and calipers you can get your hands on, but it'll require custom work (i.e., $$$$$).

Personally, I did the first and second options on that list. Incidentally, I have a set of rebuilt front calipers with lightly used EBC Yellowstuff pads sitting on my shelf, if you're interested.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:20 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

Step 1 is get better tires...if you can find some
Old 11-17-2016, 08:46 PM
knucklehead12
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the comments. Everything I read say the stock brakes are barely adequate. Planning on tracking the car and probably going to throw the LS engine I have sitting in my garage into it. With that being said, any other thoughts?
Thanks
Lee
Old 11-17-2016, 10:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

depends on how you drive it.
if its a street car (maybe light autoX) only then the stock brakes are more than enough - with a halfway decent tire (mid-range all season, not bargain-basement kung-pao wonton tire) the 944NA brakes will put you through the windshield...

for actual track racing i can see wanting more brakes with more power/speed...but the stock ones are very good still. 944 spec guys have no problems but they are 160hp max.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:36 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
if its a street car (maybe light autoX) only then the stock brakes are more than enough - with a halfway decent tire (mid-range all season, not bargain-basement kung-pao wonton tire) the 944NA brakes will put you through the windshield...

for actual track racing i can see wanting more brakes with more power/speed...but the stock ones are very good still. 944 spec guys have no problems but they are 160hp max.

I've seen your opinion on stock brakes many times and your first line above is very appropriate.

You can say exactly the same thing for the GO (Engine) and cornering (handling) they are all very good on these transaxles in stock form...

But people want more and better, some in just one department (Usually More power) put some want all 3.

And all 3 avenue's can be improved some, or substantially.

If you experienced a really powerful braking system on your 44 you would understand what I mean, and then also see that whilst the stock set up is "OK" it's not amazing or up to the job of giving it a lot of grief and I'm talking on the road here....

I don't think you have Roundabouts over there?

We have loads and they can be used to practice late braking, some sections of roads in some cities have a grid system where for example a series of 8+ roundabouts and straights in between of 80+mph can be achieved, stock brakes cannot cope well with this, uprated pads are better, heat treated discs less to prone to wharping etc...but you can't beat more power and clamping pressure because you can brake earlier and a longer duration with less foot pedal pressure because they are so much more efficient, as opposed to harder and shorter as the components can't take the abuse or handle the extreme heat...

R
Old 11-18-2016, 11:08 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

we have roundabouts but they are very few in number.

we have another problem entirely...while the 944 (stock or upgraded brakes) can afford to brake very late into a curve, it's not a situation we Yanks find ourselves in very often because of the driver behind us being either too close to our rear bumper, and/or inattentive (slow reaction time to hit their own brake pedal).

now when you are out in the open on a deserted mountain/canyon road, you can make the most of it! if you can find such a road nearby...

Quick Reply: 1989 944 NA Brake Upgrade