Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr. Regular doesn't like our cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:31 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Regular is more about relating cars to the zeitgeist and wordplay and personal observations than it is about factual car reviewing or sensible A<->B comparisons.
So this guy is more about talking funny and wordplaying and making personal observations that are irelevant yet you learn from him.....and you call me small-minded.

Sure, I learn about cars I'll never own and never drive but are nonetheless interesting. Sorry you are so small-minded, sheesh.
How many subscribers does your channel have?

-Joel.
I dont run a youtube channel and if i did, the number of subscribers does not mean people apreciate you it means they are there to laugh at you or consume the entartainment you make....entertainment is not car review and its not about facts...exactly like Top Gear was...not about facts and all about entertainment....so again...you say you learn from entertainment and you call me small minded....buddy you cant even see how small your mind is.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

Correct, you can still learn from something even if there is wordplay and personal observations involved. See AvE and Big Clive and... Top Gear? Mark Twain? Keep diggin' that hole Socrates.

Originally Posted by morghen
So this guy is more about talking funny and wordplaying and making personal observations that are irelevant yet you learn from him.....and you call me small-minded.

I dont run a youtube channel and if i did, the number of subscribers does not mean people apreciate you it means they are there to laugh at you or consume the entartainment you make....entertainment is not car review and its not about facts...exactly like Top Gear was...not about facts and all about entertainment....so again...you say you learn from entertainment and you call me small minded....buddy you cant even see how small your mind is.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

C'mon man, AvE is full of technical info if you know what to listen to..compared to this regular guy who is just grunting here and there...and if Mark Twain is entertainment for you...oh well..have a nice day
Old 10-26-2016, 03:37 PM
TheSkywayBridge
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 924srr27l
Yes true the 8V against the 16V debate often includes the Golf GTi

The 944 2.5 sold well and the 3.0 s2 may never of happened so it was best that te 2.5 came and sold well first, but of course as Porsche have done with virtually every model adding more capacity with evolutions always works well and the 3.0 944 is often declared as the best of thebunch for street use, due to those large 4 pistons providing good low rpm torque and then the twin cam head for higher rpm breathing...

The 968 CS is often regarded as the daddy, but is over rated compared to the 968 coupe which was the more expensive model! The 968 coupe could of been ordered with a Mo30 suspension package and these 2 cars have exactly the same engine, the CS weight reduction wasn't that much.

R
The guy with the 951 swap is killing me.
I worked at a place where a customer had a 951 in is SP2 car and it didnt chooch. as a reference, he couldn't accelerate out of turn 2 into 3 at mosport, which is about a 3 degree incline in around 4th.

He complained about the gutlessness and found the 951 trans and swapped it out (car was a 951 with a 2.5 Na swapped into it so the tranny stayed). for the 944 transmission and hasn't looked back since.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:53 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

IHBT <sigh>. Ah well.

I've never driven a 944S but it does seem odd that the gear spacing would seem wide. I have driven a 4 speed 924 non-S and wow it seemed slow-slow-slow although I recall liking the car otherwise a great deal. Regular mentioned the 914, and I had one of those and it never seemed slow despite not being even quick, and I also have had several X-1/9s which feel quick and fun despite the numbers. I am willing to wonder if the 924 and maybe the 944 2.5L do not deliver excitement in some way to compensate for the deficiencies in thrust. Some not-quick cars feel like mischief-makers and for all I know the 2.5L 944 is not one of them.

I had a 944T as a daily for a while and off boost that thing was pretty maddening so if they test out a Turbo I hope they are not going stoplight-to-stoplight in traffic where that car is perhaps worse than an NA. The 968 and S2 have enough scoot and gearing (and no soggy off-boost performance) not to confuse some random driver on public roads, if someone has a good one within RCR's orbit I suggest maybe letting them have a go, or if they come back to CO they can try one of my cars or my M900Sie.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:17 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkywayBridge
The guy with the 951 swap is killing me.
I worked at a place where a customer had a 951 in is SP2 car and it didnt chooch. as a reference, he couldn't accelerate out of turn 2 into 3 at mosport, which is about a 3 degree incline in around 4th.

He complained about the gutlessness and found the 951 trans and swapped it out (car was a 951 with a 2.5 Na swapped into it so the tranny stayed). for the 944 transmission and hasn't looked back since.
I've never been to Mosport, but what is a typical speed thru turn 2?
951 box will do over 100mph in 3rd gear on stock size tires.

I did make a note after my initial post that I could see it perhaps being a liability on a tight turn, low speed course, but it really is gold when you can wind out the RPMs unrestricted.
So maybe I should say...in a street/highway car a 951 gearbox is nice, but probably not for a dedicated NA racecar.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:28 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Who?
Exactly.
Never heard of this clown. I have car buddies that waste a lot more time on YT than I do, and they've never mentioned or forwarded me anything of his either.

Originally Posted by Porvair
Ever since I switched to a high-fiber diet, my a**hole is Mr. Regular.
Coincidence that this video reviewer shares that same name?
Nope. At least you don't film your crap and make others watch it.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:38 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

basically drivel
Old 10-27-2016, 05:37 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by ramius665
Why does that car have wagon wheels?
Yeah, what the hell?

Originally Posted by Buthter
That's kind of his shtick. It's a weird juxtaposition of uncomfortable humor and surprisingly poignant jabs at modern car culture. Regardless, the dude has hundreds of thousands of subscribers and definitely carries some influence.
He's often entertaining. And he had some valid points.

Originally Posted by rufrob
...the turbo punched way above its class. If Mr. Regular drove one he would be singing a different tune.
Mr. Regular is more-or-less local to me, but he's not driving mine!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:14 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I've never been to Mosport, but what is a typical speed thru turn 2?
951 box will do over 100mph in 3rd gear on stock size tires.

I did make a note after my initial post that I could see it perhaps being a liability on a tight turn, low speed course, but it really is gold when you can wind out the RPMs unrestricted.
So maybe I should say...in a street/highway car a 951 gearbox is nice, but probably not for a dedicated NA racecar.

Yes in Racing there's nothing worst than having a final drive ratio which makes each gear too long and can as (Mosport) make one or more turns difficult to get out with the best powerband RPM,

But also on the street it's no different, longer ratios can mean your in a gear longer which can mean it's easier and lazy to not need to shift but the shorter ratio's will always pull faster...

As I mentioned before the 6 Speed 968 FDR is very similar to the 944 2.5 N/A and not as "Long" as the "Autobahn" gearing on the 944 Turbo

You can still utilise shorter gearing on the street and Race circuit with good benefits.

For example I often keep in 3rd Gear when approaching and exiting Roundabouts even down to 25mph because 2nd gear is too low with a higher rpm which is more likely to cause wheelspin on exit hence you can't give it full throttle with confidence without ABS!

Leaving it in 3rd the torque and Normal aspiration (Instant throttle response & No lag!) allows me to get on to 3/4 - full throttle and spend time getting the steering correct for the apex and exit.

The third gear will of been as low as 25mph but up to 75mph? when changing to 4th gear which starts to top out about 100mph I think? these 4 gears are ideal for fast street use (5th for motorway / Freeway ) but also the track.

R

Last edited by 924srr27l; 10-27-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

IHBT <sigh>. Ah well.

. I am willing to wonder if the 924 and maybe the 944 2.5L do not deliver excitement in some way to compensate for the deficiencies in thrust. Some not-quick cars feel like mischief-makers and for all I know the 2.5L 944 is not one of them.

I had a 944T as a daily for a while and off boost that thing was pretty maddening so if they test out a Turbo I hope they are not going stoplight-to-stoplight in traffic where that car is perhaps worse than an NA.

The 968 and S2 have enough scoot and gearing (and no soggy off-boost performance) not to confuse some random driver on public roads, if someone has a good one within RCR's orbit I suggest maybe letting them have a go, or if they come back to CO they can try one of my cars or my M900Sie.

Yes I totally agree with this train of thought, the 924 chassis in all 3 Evolutions (44 & 68) is a car which does not do anything dramatic compared to other car's which may feel faster but they are not.

This chassis (Having owned 8 of them inc a 968) feel safe, solid and do what a Racer wants, they do not bite or oversteer, or fidget in corners etc... they flatter drivers and it's this which is not dramatic enough for some.

Yes, I also understand the 44 Turbo scenario when off boost, and it's this characteristic that often has testers and magazines favouring the 3.0S2, because instant torque is more satisfying than waiting for a Boosting surge.

This is why I decided to build a Blueprinted lightweight N/A with the skinny body width (924) and on skinny Wheels & Tyres, but fitted with many parts from all the other evolutions (944 3.0 block / 2.5 head 2707cc Engine), 944 Wishbones, 944 Turbo ARB's, LSD, and upgraded suspension, in combo with a 500+lb weight loss have produced a higher Power to Weight ratio than all 3 models and all the different engines (inc turbo), even the Carerra GT.

With the shorter gearing and 205bhp / 205 Ft Lb's I believe Mr Regular would be Impressed!

Shame he's a million miles away from the UK.......

R
www.924srr27l.co.uk
Old 10-27-2016, 08:19 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

I owned 8v and S at the same time and S felt much slower even trough it was faster on top end.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:47 AM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many things wrong with that car, his facts where way off as well. He has something against the 944, asking why do people race them? Same reason they race Miatas, they are cheap, handle amazing, and reliable.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:01 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

There you go, mr regular cant tell the difference between a fast car and a car thats crap to drive.
He keeps asking why are those things raced, obviously he cant tell a good car from a bad one.

If you guys say he is often entertaining it must be entartaining to you to wach him grunt his knowledgeless and empty opinions on YT....but thats the most he is...sometimes entertaining(to some)...not a thing more.

I have a buddy that said that his low budget diesel family wagon is fun to drive to him because he can make the tires squeal on corners and the car feels fast(because of that).
He then proceded to complain that there was unequal wear in his tires...but the car feels sporty and fast he said.
I should get him to do some car reviews...you guys may love him as he's funny..sometimes...he makes funny noises and faces too.

...today's world is filled with publicly adored mediocrity....and thats visible from the bottom of the food chain like YT car reviewers to the top of the top like american president candidates that made it into "the finals"
Old 10-27-2016, 09:11 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZ520
He has something against the 944, asking why do people race them? Same reason they race Miatas, they are cheap, handle amazing, and reliable.

Yes he does, as many people do and 99% have never driven one or do they get or can feel what this chassis does to the fans and followers...

I had a Mx5 (Miata) for a short time, but sold it Pronto...as the handling was nowhere near the benchmark (924/944/968) !

I think it's one of those car's that gives out messages it's faster than it really is, hence why they sold so many worldwide, but it's over rated in reality in my opinion but I bet Mr. Regular likes them?

R

Quick Reply: Mr. Regular doesn't like our cars