Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.0L turbo: Will I be able to register and pass inspection in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:16 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 3.0L turbo: Will I be able to register and pass inspection in CA?

Hey guys, been many many moons since I've posted actively. Hopefully the answer to my question is straight-forward.

I've got a highly modified 1986 951. Chris White 3.0L motor, street/track car, etc. List of changes to the car is too long to list. Easier to list what hasn't changed, perhaps.

I'm moving to the SF bay area. Aside from emissions testing (I suspect I can tune the car to pass emissions) and adding a catalytic convertor back to the car... Am I going to be able to pass CA inspection? I'm under the impression that so much needs to be CARB approved, etc.

Happy to provide more detail if helpful.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2016, 11:23 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm no help, but man I love your car!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:38 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Let me make it very simple.

You need to re-install the entire stock intake assembly (airbox, AFM, J boot, bypass valve)
You need stock intercooler pipes.
You need to install the stock exhaust (manifolds, crossover, down pipe, cat pipe, muffler pipe).
You need to have the stock ignition system (distributor/cap/rotor/plug wires).
You cannot have an aftermarket FPR/FPD.

You can probably tune the DME to pass emissions but the easiest option would be to install the stock DME with the stock chip.

Basically you need the entire engine bay and exhaust system to look as if it were 100% factory original. You cannot deviate at all. The visual inspection is the major killer of old cars. The sniffer actually isn't too bad as long as the CA-approved oxygen sensor and the CA-approved catalytic converter are in good functional condition. Be prepared to show the smog tech your receipt with the part number of the CA-approved cat you installed, so he can verify the cat is in fact CA-approved for your exact car. The tech will more than likely climb under the car to read the part number written on the cat, to make sure it matches your receipt, to make sure it matches the rule book.

There are NO CARB-approved performance parts for the 944 Turbo. Not even one. So your only true option is fully stock for the smog test.

California does not have any "safety" inspections. You may need to do a "brake and light check" where a state-approved station makes sure your horn works, makes sure your brakes work, and makes sure all the exterior lights work...that's it.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:04 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You will never pass the visual inspection with any of the aftermarket parts, since 951's are required to be tested at STAR only stations in CA. STAR stations are the strictest with regard to inspections. In CA., selecting the smog station to use is very important because once a smog station fails you, that same station is the only one that can pass you.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Bill, that's not true about "only that station can pass you".
I've mixed and matched STAR stations after failing at one and fixing the issue and passing at a different place, simply due to wherever I am that day...

And STAR is for cars that have a high-emitter profile, not so much based on the car itself but because that car in particular has a history of failing in the past.

I have done regular and STAR over the years.
After my most recent STAR test which I easily passed, I looked up my plates on the BAR site and it actually says "STAR testing not required" for the next time around in 2018.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2016, 01:50 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do they know what everything should look like under the hood? The smog techs in AZ don't even know what the car is until I tell them. Even then, they have no idea what anything is under the hood.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:03 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Jesus Christ things are tight over there.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:04 AM
JacRyann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

State of CA is ****-like in its smog-inspection programme. They have very detailed instruction books for their smog-techs to follow. I failed visual test because I had replaced FPR with 3.0-bar unit. I even searched for a non-black one with the same colour as stock. He must've looked up the part# and determined that it wasn't the factory part.

Another guy I know failed visual when his replacement cat didn't have the correct CARB-EO number. The '90 S2 has different # than an '89 951.

Another guy I knew failed because his ignition-timing was off by 0.5-degree. Even though the sniffer recorded numbers that were well below the limits.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:50 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll agree with V2 except I'll add the word "looking"
i.e. stock "looking" intercooler pipes, etc

Anything with a part number will be checked, though, so use stock parts there.

If you need help passing smog (or need to borrow stock parts) let me know.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
more than likely climb under the car to read the part number

Old 06-09-2016, 09:54 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

A little off topic but how do the "hot rod" cars get certified?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:16 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fwb42
A little off topic but how do the "hot rod" cars get certified?
Most of the hot rod stuff is pre-1976 so not subject to smog...
Old 06-09-2016, 03:16 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I'll agree with V2 except I'll add the word "looking"
i.e. stock "looking" intercooler pipes, etc

Anything with a part number will be checked, though, so use stock parts there.

If you need help passing smog (or need to borrow stock parts) let me know.
Well that's grim news. Anyone want a 415 rwhp 3.0L 951? lol...

This isn't a bolt-on car anymore. Chris did a great job building a 3.0L motor but that means no more stock wiring, a stock DME couldn't run this motor, etc. There's no going back to OEM parts without major invasive surgery including installing a new motor.

So... really? No one in California has a non-stock 944 turbo? Isn't CA the home of speedforce racing, etc? I've put 16 years and well over $50K into this car. There's got to be a way...
Old 06-09-2016, 03:40 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a non-turbo 968 motor stuffed in a 944 that was registered in CA. It wasn't technically CARB-approved, but it looked stock enough to get past my local smog-check guy.

A viable option might be to keep the car registered out-of-state. I'm not sure exactly what would be involved -- plenty of people do it, but I've also heard they've been cracking down on out-of-state plates -- but playing the out-of-state plate game might be easier than dealing with CARB.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

If you can find an easy-going smog guy you have a chance.
But those are the rules...

Most people just keep stock stuff around to throw on every 2 years for testing.
You don't need the stock DME to pass but its the easiest way. If you can re-tune your ECU you should be able to pass smog.

But the real killer is the visual inspection.

Quick Reply: 3.0L turbo: Will I be able to register and pass inspection in CA?