Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 02:04 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 06-15-2016, 03:06 AM
Flammulator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... The condition of those wheels is astonishing. And that hood liner... Good find, and it's refreshing to see an NA that's been so well cared for.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:31 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thank YOU ~

I agree about the 'good find'. I am pretty sure the first owner was a regular at the car show scene and used it for that with limited pleasure driving in between. According to the records, most of the mileage appears to have been accumulated during the first 6 years of it's ownership. Other than the abraded top sunroof seal, all the little details one normally sees that are worn, appear as new.

The wheels have lost several of their valve stem supports but I do have a few I ordered new a number of years ago, because I lost one on my original purchase 944. I am glad I got a whole set as a backup. The condition of the wheels show the first owners were knowledgeable about their care and keeping and didn't get wild with a polishing compound. There are no stains on any of them and the electrostatically applied anodizing shows as new 30 years on.

As mentioned, this is the way I bought it last December, picking it up just a week ago. I haven't cleaned or touched anything, and have not even washed it's exterior as noted in these images. This after a 700 mile plus run thru the mountain country of Montana and home again.

I cannot wait to get detailing it and removing any grime or wheel dust and get those leather seats conditioned. All credit definitely goes to the previous caretakers ........
Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

So I have had a few ask about what I use to keep the mileage low on the 'select' few which get babied a bit more than the others which see more miles.

I alluded to ol' Scruffy, the '84 - M456 which I found about 8 or 9.... maybe more, years ago in Las Vegas. It is a single repaint ( a good 10 footer ) which had been ordered out new in Glendale, CA by a younger woman who tragically died after 20 or so years of ownership. She willed it to her nephew in Vegas, but he mostly left it stored for at least 5 or 6 years. It is a black interior, leather Sport Seat, Sport Suspension, sunroof car and came with several sets of FUCHS and one set of cookies.

Here is his picture. He is outside the Grand Traverse Hotel and Resort where we attended the '13 Porsche Parade in Traverse City, MI. Our entry number was random not chosen, and appropriately he was numbered 456.

I enjoy putting mileage on it because he shows wear and tear a bit more than some of the others and has around 120,000 miles on his bones. It is accident free, rust free, and has some issues with dry leather sport seats. Definitely not abused, but shows a wearing in unlike the rest of his brothers.

Patina would be a word accurate in his description
Old 06-15-2016, 08:43 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The rims on 'ol Scruffy are 16 inch - '88 Carrera FUCHS off a Jubilee / Commemorative 911 which are color matched to those particular cars. Kind of has a unique look, but definitely not original to this car, but gives it a bit of a subtle hue which contrasts to the Zermatt silver. They are Diamond Blue metallic.

Driving this is no where near the same feeling as driving the Alpine White '86. Altho they are both vault solid, it has a bit more of a 'worn in feel'. Not as quick but not a slouch either. It just shows it's miles in ways a nearly new car takes years to obtain. I enjoy the experience but it will need to go to the upholstery shop and receive new hides some day soon. The Las Vegas heat totally dried out and cracked the hides especially on the side bolsters, even with the heavy tinting. The carpet I already re-dyed so it appears as new and the dash always had a carpet protector over it so cracking is minimal.

It lives so the others can show their good side /-;
Old 06-16-2016, 01:16 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

the missing rubber inspection plug on the cam/distributor housing.... have a few of these in a parts box, so need to put one in

the decal is in great form with no evidence of any bumps or bruises higher on the boot edge, which often times happen when folks load their golf clubs or luggage and carelessly don't make it over the lip edge without giving it a hit
Old 06-16-2016, 01:29 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

a shot of the headliner from the driver's side open door. The vinyl is perfect with no evidence of scuffing or any evidence the sunroof has even been out of it's opening. I can't wait to get it out and clean around the channel surrounding the opening with the drain tube orifices, inspecting it for any problems. Coincidently the bag the sunroof goes in doesn't appear to have been messed with either as all the nylon banding appears to remain unmarked or dented from use; leaving the band in a different position from the day it was assembled.
Halfway thinking of having a small ceremony with a few friends over when I open it up.

the dirtiest part of the car; under hood by the build date tag on the fender/cowl area. For whatever reason, this tag is the wrinkliest of all my Porsches with numerous bubbles and bulges in the tag. I forgot to shoot the 'Alpin Weiss' color tag further higher in the cowl area, but it's there and in proper form. Pretty much unfaded or washed out as many are, or missing entirely.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:45 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

East bound and down ~
Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

As I look over these photos of the 'lost' key set which I found in the back of the glove box beneath more service records and a couple of pens, napkins, and that all important vinyl Owner's Manual pouch, I wonder a few things.....

Why did they get put there and when ? By whom ? How is it no one seemed to look for them and how did they never get used ?
THAT is the original dealer's lot tag , Porsche's own record tags in metal with the numbers recorded, and yes , even original grease smeared on the ignition key shank and allowed to dry, never having been used. No marks whatsoever on any of these key shanks at all.

Have they been there all this time and no one knew ?

I admit I halfway expected the little light to illuminate when I pressed the button.

But it didn't.

Gave up the ghost about 29 years ago I am sure
Old 06-16-2016, 08:22 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

That key is breathtaking from an enthusiast standpoint!! That is such an amazing find really!! I'm glad you shared those pictures!! This car just gets better and better every day! What was the last date written in that service book?
Old 06-16-2016, 09:53 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

March 30, 1990

I am pretty sure this is when the original purchaser passed it on to the next owner.

The invoices and Warranty book stamps at this dealership and another, indicate the next owner was as diligent with his ownership in maintaining things and cosmetically it shows. He as well had a concern for care and upkeep on the body and wheels. The next 8,000 miles stretch from 1990 to today; 28,000 miles and change from new.....

wow, I just realized the enormity of that once again ! That is 26 years. About 307 miles a year.

Or for the 30 years of it's life a total of 950 miles a year, most of those accumulating over the first 4 1/2 years.

Thanks Dave for all the kind words
Old 06-17-2016, 06:11 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Went to my garage it's locked up in today, and took out a few items I am going to clean up and photograph.

The triangle for roadside repair and the electric tire pump and kit.

As soon as I finish putting my lawnmower blades on my push mower and the lawn tractor, I will take a few images and post them up.

They both look like new as well.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:51 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Upon closer inspection, both cases do have a few small scuffs on them from abrading against the ground or concrete.

And I need from those of you out there 'in the know' on any European or stateside deliveries, if this roadside case and triangle look correct. It is different from the one in my '88 Carrera which was a 900 code Tourist Delivery car just a few years later from the manufacture of this Alpine White "Touring Package" 944.

I am sure time and places change, perhaps some of these items get swapped around or changed out entirely, but it would sure be nice to know in confirmation from any who have these accessories shown here with their cars .....
Old 06-18-2016, 07:50 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Don, the triangle that came with my 944 did not have the case unfortunately. It is different from yours and perhaps Porsche changed the design down the road. Mine is from my early 944. Here are a couple pics:

Name:  20160618_064417.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  296.2 KB

Name:  20160618_064435.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  330.0 KB

Name:  20160618_064524_1.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  199.7 KB
Old 06-18-2016, 11:04 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

That looks like the one I have in my Carrera. With the German writing as well and no case. Just a rubber snap like you show to hold it together. ( I have a feeling this may have been added either later OR it was a mixup at the dealership, or the thing got lost or broken and replaced in the Alpine white car. Mine also has English script on the reflective surfaces as well.)

Did you also have any other stuff come with your car from Europe ? Was it a European delivery to the first owner ? Many were.

Things like the plastic gloves or drop cloth, or the little pouch with the air gauge and the baggie with the antennae mast cleaning wipe ?

Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944