Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:32 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
The only two images of your car turned out with too much sun shine 'starring' out the subject, and the other was blurred from a distance. I ended up deleting them. If you have a couple of good shots of your Guards Red beauty, feel free to post them up here.

Tremendous show wasn't it ?
One of the best turnouts ever. Great variety of cars. Only bad thing is we have to wait 361 more days before it happens again.

I'll post up a few pictures later today.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:12 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

the white build code tag placed by the factory in my '86 Alpin Weiss Normal.

Just yesterday I looked at another 944 for sale and noticed most of this tag was missing...... about the bottom half was completely sanded away by an orbital D/A and paint was haphazardly applied to the damaged area ( someone had bumped the car lightly from behind ). It was a mess and the codes were lost. No glove box duplicate on the Warranty Book pages to give more authentication to what the car contained..........

Makes me very thankful the prior owners were so very respectful of this car before I got it. I bought it over six months ago, but only have had it home for the past month and able to delve into the history; all the nooks and crannies, all the hidden spaces which reveal it's past.

I have a long way to go on clean up detail but have enjoyed it immensely as taking it out and around the neighborhood gives me more familiarity with it's character. My cars are as different from one another as one's children. They look the same, but when one looks closely, the personality of each are revealed.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Yesterday I took out all the tools, the bag for the bra, the headlight covers and the mirror bras and brought them into the house, down to the basement, and into the laundry tub for a quick scrub. ( some place I can make a good mess and then just grab the spray wand and hose it all down the drain. ) The spousling will never know ...... (-:
She kind of looks at all of this as a bit more of a distraction which could be spent on lawn care or digging in the garden, or walking the dogs on a longer hike than what I sometimes do. One mile ? Why ? ? ? I got stuff to do. Pulling weeds ? Or gathering tomatoes ? uhhhh, that would be a no. The Porsche needs a little lovin' right now.

The tool bag needed nothing but a quick wipe down. Inside and out it is spotless. I have laid out all the tools and will give them a rub down with WD-40, thoroughly wipe with a cloth, and return them to the tool roll. I am amazed the plier joints have not even a speck of rusting at the connection. It is as clean and works as freely as the day it was assembled.

The wrinkles do not seem to be coming out of the bra bag. They look permanent, so will give it one more blast of Vinlyex by Lexol and lay it out in the sun.

As for the front seats, I did give them another wipedown with Lexol. This is about the third or fourth rubbing in of that product. Then after several hours of drying time, I buff it lightly with a 100% cotton cloth. They were in great shape when I picked it up a month ago, but the surface of the leather today is as soft as feeling the back of your hand. They are going to 'cure' now until I finish detailing out the engine bay.

Then it's back to the rear boot area. The final effort will be on the exterior with attention given to the new sunroof seal last.

'Auto Lieben' @ Afton Alps is coming up fast..... and several of the weekends I could be cleaning, will be spent at the track at BIR and at Road America, so I must be diligent and keep pushing forward.

I'll post a few more images soon of the results.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:59 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The Porsche bra bag, used to stow mirror bras and nose bra when wet or not in use.
It has a number of wrinkles which are permanent, even after wiping with Lexol Vinylex and leaving in the warm sun.

Sealed 'one use' vinyl gloves for changing tires or minor repairs at roadside.
The bag contains four pair of gloves.

Vinylex. BEST product bar none for vinyl oils replenishment on one's dash, bras, rubber spoiler, door card tops

Tool roll and tools are impeccable thanks to the diligent care of previous owners and lack of moisture coming into contact. ( I watched in amazement as a seller who was telling me how much he loved his car and had everything with it the 944 was built with ( it didn't ), open his rear hatch , unsnap the carpet and reach behind the inflatable spare and retrieve the tool roll. He proudly displayed the tools which were so rusty they were stuck to the bag; pliers were inoperable, bag was stained red with rust. " this is worth at least a couple hundred bucks in itself "....., to which no reply was audibly given by me. )

Yes, am VERY grateful there are some sellers who care. Some who have been fastidious with their car and are eager to make you the buyer, happy with his love.

A rarity in itself ~
Old 07-06-2016, 03:08 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

More image close-ups of the tools, actually taken before I wiped them down with WD-40.
They were spotless, but now they are also spotless AND protected from corrosion.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:15 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Each tool carries the identity of a different German maker. Name is deep inset here on the handle of the screwdriver.....
the name is 'filco'
(sorry about the blurred image)

here we have 'Heyco' on this wrench.....

The plier is from another tool maker: Hapewe stamped on one handle - Germany stamped on the other

I have noticed this on other tool sets in our German cars and wondered why ? Wouldn't one think a single source more cost effective or simplified ?

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 07-08-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:27 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

We had a fast moving thunderstorm move thru the area, night of the Fourth.

Those puffy white clouds in the final pix were dropping hail as they moved in, but the closest was 20 miles away.

Thankfully !

All the cars were under cover, safe in their garages. The barn only houses a couple of tractors, but could be used in an emergency to protect a car or two.

Those 140 foot high concrete grain storage bins ( local co-operative farm terminal near a rail siding ) are about 5 miles away as the crow flies ~

If you look closely, a hint of a double rainbow may be seen.
Don't get many of those around here too often

I had been working on a couple of cars in the yard, but as this stuff came up, I put it all away and got ready to go into town with family to watch the fireworks display
Old 07-06-2016, 04:07 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Last evening I had to take a bit of a break from all the German heritage, and reacquaint with another love.....

After all, we did just get done celebrating America, Apple Pie, and the Fourth of July

this low mileage '96 is an all original paint, original interior, and non daily driver with 24,000 actual miles. This is the second set of tires on it and are Kumho Ecstas. The original Goodyears lasted till 17,000 miles......

OKAY, enough with the non German content /-;}

Dave, (mazdaverks) this is the mate to your '95, but is a fairly high serial numbered car, making it one of the last of the C4 variants.

Torch Red, Torch Red and Black interior, Bose Sound system. ( It makes the German Blaupunkts sound like two tin cans stretched between a string )
Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Something to be said for American Muscle, beautiful car by the way
Old 07-07-2016, 12:32 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Appreciate your remarks Joe !

If one looks closely at the vinyl 'ground cloth' sent with the white '86 in the rear hatch area, one notices the Germans even have a special way in dealing with this sheet of plastic. It isn't JUST a piece of plastic, it has a folded over section on each end of the horizontal sheet.

Note the turned over area which is vinyl welded to give the edge a finished look. Possibly for greater strength to place an attachment hook or cord into ? A perimeter to lay rocks on so it doesn't blow away on a windy day when crawling onto it with your wool knickers ? What were the designers thinking when they devised this thing ? Why isn't it just a simple piece of visqueen ? Very strange .....

top photo shows the sheet folded and doubled over on itself; both photos show the vinyl sheet placed on the black mirror bras and headlight covers to provide definition
Old 07-07-2016, 01:00 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Something to be said for American Muscle, beautiful car by the way

okay, just for you Joe. One more.

Enjoy......

The owner my friend bought this C4 from, had been given it by his wife for his 40th birthday. He didn't keep it long and privately sold it to my friend Rich when he found an S2000 Honda he thought he couldn't live without. My buddy and neighboring farmer bought it with 17,000 miles and the tires were down to the cords

I went with him that day he bought it in the 'big' city not far from us; he wanted approval --- a second opinion. I told Rich when the guy's wife opened the garage door, if he didn't buy it on the spot, I WOULD. Other than the worn out rubber, this is what we looked at in that guy's garage. NOTHING was needing to be done other than a wash and wax. It had been properly given it's oil changes and services the first couple years of it's life, but when it came time to replace the tires, perhaps the previous owner balked at the cost of new rubber.

WHAT was he thinking to let this great car go ?

My friend kept it for 13 years before offering it to me.

What was HE thinking ? Maybe I am nuts, but when great cars like this appear on the horizon and have already lived a pampered life for 15 to 30 years before a person finds it, how can a guy just walk away ? Believe me when I say it's a GREAT car, but a Porsche it isn't.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 07-07-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:24 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Back to the Porsche 944...

these are the directions for putting on the original Porsche bra which the original owner bought 1 month after purchase of his new sports car. Also note the writing on the page bottom stating these were made for Porsche by Colgan.

It is a 3 piece system with a fourth piece included as the carrying bag as shown above. The bra fits over the nose only and two more pieces go over each headlight surround. They fasten sort of friction fit and have a felt covered hook which anchors the cover and keeps it from flying off at speed.

There are also two mirror bras which snap over the exterior mirrors with a very strong elastic cord embedded into the edging. I believe they were included with the front cover as a set, which would then make it a 5 piece group.

All are in very good shape with the exception of a nylon mesh piece over the radiator intake the only piece with a small tear. I meet tomorrow with an upholstery shop in town which tells me they repair this small venting with matching mesh to the original bra.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:58 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Front and back sides of the German vinyl gloves for roadside repairs.
They are still factory sealed and come four pair to a package, one bag per car, packed with the ground cloth, roadside triangle, tool roll, spare wheel nut taped to the Vredestien collapsible spare tire, and tire compressor. In the rear hatch area under the rear hatch carpet in the spare wheel housing.

I had a helper the day I was cleaning up some other goods, and he was back again when I was cleaning the tool roll and bra bits.
Oatie is a friend to everyone and curious about what I was doing.... given the chance I am sure he would tell everyone of the progress, just as he was doing in the last image. Speaking an entire vocal range to me; not sure if it was approval or not.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:10 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Been absent a few days, looks like I've missed some good posts!

Anyways, came across this beauty and it's got 'mrgreenjeans' written all over it..

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...856-miles.html
Old 07-08-2016, 08:31 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Oatie is a very handsome cat He looks a lot like my Jerry did when he was a youngster. Jerry's looking a little old now (he's 17) but I am too at 65. He still likes to hunt frogs down by the pond and I still like brisk driving so getting older doesn't mean you have to quit having fun. You just need a nap afterwards

Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944