Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early dash by Classic 9 -- pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 11:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Your car has held up well!!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:49 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank You

It probably helps it is a one owner and never a daily driver. Only a long distance highway cruiser, or track toy ( first 7 years of it's life ).... and still makes it out there for a run around 'touring' on d.e. events or at Parade.

The Ruby '84, the Sunroof delete special, has the worst dash of my early 944s. I dealt with that by using a dash mate. It only has half as many miles as this Guards Red '84 and about 10,000 less than my Guards Red '82 build, but it lived it's entire life as a D.E. Instructor's car and was used often at several tracks in the Midwest ( R.America ) and at Road Atlanta, so it sat around in the paddock --- lived outside on many PCA track weekends until I found it and bought it around 10 years ago. It also had one repaint at the owner's shop before he sold it on...... because all the clear coat over the metallic paint cracked.
U.V. It does it's magic when we aren't paying attention.

I will look for a photo of that interior and post it
Old 05-08-2016, 10:11 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Dash mat was all in for about 30 bucks shipped when I bought it. It does NOT move around.
The four or five hairline cracks over the vent area bothered me and I also wished to preserve the dash from further sunload.

Last image shows the "home / garage style" paint process on this smooth-top special. The driver owner also had in his collection, a real 908 and was from the Chicago area. Am thinking more than a few of you know this car or had D.E. rides in it back in the day........

It isn't your ordinary 'normal', in either lightness or power. And I want to keep it that way not allowing it to deteriorate further. Hence the mat. It won't get a new dash until Porsche reproduces one; the patina has more than a bit of history to tell.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:20 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

a few more of the exterior
Old 05-09-2016, 05:34 AM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Is the early dash NLA?

I asked the local dealer in 2012 and was quoted 640 euros which doesn't look bad anymore!
Old 05-10-2016, 02:28 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

When at Porsche Parade in 2013 @ Traverse City, MI, Porsche was asked this question several times both during the restoration seminar and at their informational kiosk they set up on the Concours lawn.

I asked a German guy at the kiosk on the lawn and he picked up his phone and called someone back in Germany as I stood there and listened. At that time there was not enough orders or interest in folks placing an order for a retooling of this part.

He suggested to connect with our local Porsche Parts dealer at our retail service center and continue to seek an answer of availability. Perhaps if they get enough folks doing this ( and I have made similar requests from our three stores within 250 miles, and so far no one has been given the go ahead they are done yet.)

Perhaps we should flood our local dealers and parts guys with calls and if Porsche sees the ability to sell several thousand of these dashes, they will get their supplier people to re-tool and re-make.

( hopefully in a better product than the old ones made of recycled egg cartons with thin vinyl wrapping around the shells. )
Old 05-10-2016, 02:43 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can buy a remanufactured one from Germany from werk924.com..its by far better and nicer than any mat or leather or vinyl wrap you can buy...and its identical to the original.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:09 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

What does it cost ?
How about shipping to America ?
Is it available in brown as well as black ?
Does it come with a glove box lid ?

Send us a link if you could.........
Old 05-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morghen
you can buy a remanufactured one from Germany from werk924.com..its by far better and nicer than any mat or leather or vinyl wrap you can buy...and its identical to the original.
I couldn't find anything about it on their website either. I'm curious!
Old 05-10-2016, 01:55 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not listed on their website. I think they cant produce too many and they dont want to be innuntated with requests.
If i'm not mistaken price is around 1k euro.
I'd gladly spend 1k on a new dash than 900 on a leather wrap thats not perfect.
I would spend 1k on a leather wrap thats perfect but so far i havent seen one.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...33303010162099

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...33303010162099
Old 05-11-2016, 04:00 AM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wow, these are nice! Thanks for the info morghen!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:28 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion the Classic9 product and workmanship are top notch. If you want concourse, not the right product. If you want top notch, beautiful dash to replace your nasty ratty cracked dash for a reasonable price, they are a great option.

The defroster trim piece is necessary because otherwise the vinyl or leather wrap will unpeel again. I have two of their dashes in a couple of my cars, and they are both holding up very nicely. The 941 dash has been in since 2010 (6 years) and it looks as good now as it does in these photos. Please disregard the cheesy red Momo wheel, which has been replaced with a 4-spoke sport wheel.

And here's the Alcantara version in my Club Sport:

I haven't seen a better, readily-available solution anywhere, which is why I carry Bob's product on my site.
http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Appearance.html
Old 05-19-2016, 05:18 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ideola
In my opinion the Classic9 product and workmanship are top notch. If you want concourse, not the right product. If you want top notch, beautiful dash to replace your nasty ratty cracked dash for a reasonable price, they are a great option.

The defroster trim piece is necessary because otherwise the vinyl or leather wrap will unpeel again. I have two of their dashes in a couple of my cars, and they are both holding up very nicely. The 941 dash has been in since 2010 (6 years) and it looks as good now as it does in these photos. Please disregard the cheesy red Momo wheel, which has been replaced with a 4-spoke sport wheel.

And here's the Alcantara version in my Club Sport:

I haven't seen a better, readily-available solution anywhere, which is why I carry Bob's product on my site.
http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Appearance.html
You are my hero

Quick Reply: Early dash by Classic 9 -- pics